Riding and dying in NC

hiro

I don't know if these statistics are completely valid, but what do you think? To me it's a good thing if 82.7% of staying alive depends on the rider. (I was looking up DMV info for a potential move and this was in the mc section.)

Motorcycles represent about 2% of all registered vehicles in NC, but account for about 10% of all fatalities on our roads.

• As of Sept 1st of 2007, 63 % of all crashes involving motorcycles were single vehicle crashes (motorcycle only).

• Of those crashes involving other vehicles, over half (53%) were the fault of the motorcyclist.

• Of those motorcyclist at fault crashes 81% occurred when the rider crossed the centerline either while passing another vehicle or while negotiating a curve.

• Of those other vehicle at fault crashes 57% were failure to yield right of way at an intersection and 43% were turning left across the motorcycles path.

• The majority (82.7%) of motorcycle fatal crashes occurred because of the fault of the motorcyclist.

I've seen federal data that spits stats up other ways. I noticed the major category is motorcycles with engines 1200cc and larger. Not too surprising, since half of all sales are exactly that. Also noticed a strange thing, odds are in your favor with a helmet, medical insurance and sober. Apparently those without those 3 items are a major contributor.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

Also noticed a strange thing, odds are in your favor with a helmet, medical insurance and sober. Apparently those without those 3 items are a major contributor.

Those three things are indicative of someone that is responsible. They would tend to ride more carefully...not speed as much.

• Upvote 1

@JustinNck1, what I was thinking, based on those stats, was that riding is NOT as dangerous as it sounded at first. Just be in control and stay in control. That reduces the chance of dying to 17.3%. Acceptable. ^_^