how to check for sugar in your tank?

smokin5s

ok, to make a long story short, a buddy of mine has 2 camaro's... a Z28 and a base model V6.... both of his cars died a day apart from each other showing the EXACT same symptoms... (just died, won't start, getting spark, fuel preasure is fine, getting air) I'm starting to wounder if someone poured sugar in his tanks killing his cars... does this sound like it? How do I test it? Any info or thoughts would be GREATLY appriciated.

Originally posted by nathan96:

So the opti did not fix it then? I'll ask around to see what I can find out about gasoline contamination for you.

haven't put it in yet... I just picked it up last night... weird that his other car did the EXACT same thing a day later... (have in mind, he didn't drive his other car the day that his Z died... so it's almost identical miles from the night before to when they both died) it just sounds like too much of a coincidence to me...

I don't know if I want to yank the opti until I check the fuel filter... (even though his whole front end is already off of the car.)

Checked with some of the chemists here real quick and also did a search. The sugar should not dissolve in gasoline, as I suspected, and should only clog up the fuel filter. If he is still getting fuel it is most likely something else. Pull a couple of the injectors to see if there is any granular material on them. I'll have to think about it to see if I can think of some other solvent might cause this type of issue.

Originally posted by nathan96:

Checked with some of the chemists here real quick and also did a search. The sugar should not dissolve in gasoline, as I suspected, and should only clog up the fuel filter. If he is still getting fuel it is most likely something else. Pull a couple of the injectors to see if there is any granular material on them. I'll have to think about it to see if I can think of some other solvent might cause this type of issue.

Ya, it does get fuel preasure, but it comes up VERY slowly.... I was just thinking that it took some time to prime, but maybe it is because something is getting clogged.... I'm gonna yank the fuel filter after work... it probably should be replaced anyways.

Guest FBody Addict
there is a filter (screen bag prettymuch) on the pickup to the fuel pump, if there are sugar granuals in the tank, most will be filtered on that, and you may have to drop the tank

Originally posted by Slow As Hell 86 T/A:

there is a filter (screen bag prettymuch) on the pickup to the fuel pump, if there are sugar granuals in the tank, most will be filtered on that, and you may have to drop the tank

don't have to drop the tank in 4th gens.. I know a little secret ;)

I would think you need to drop it to clean it out.

Pull sending unit out, and line, go to a floor drain. Start filling it up with a hose, you need to flush out all of the sugar. And if anyone asks what that is, tell them a WATER TANK from your boat, if you say fuel tank and EPA finds out you are fucked.

After all the sugar is out (best guess), try to get all the water out you can, and then let it sit and dry.

hahahaha....just don't piss off any more girls. lol or get a locking gas cap.

i do have to admit i have done the sugar in the gas tank thing along time ago.... but i was pretty smart about it. i filled a two liter halfway with warm water and poured in about 6-7 cups of brown sugar with a funnel.(much nastier on fuel lines and it will disolve in warmer water) stick a pencil in the gas tank to keep the flap open and poured all of it in the tank....needless to say the vechicle was disposed of shortly after.....idiot....bwahahhahaha

Originally posted by girlygirl18t:

i do have to admit i have done the sugar in the gas tank thing along time ago.... but i was pretty smart about it. i filled a two liter halfway with warm water and poured in about 6-7 cups of brown sugar with a funnel.(much nastier on fuel lines and it will disolve in warmer water) stick a pencil in the gas tank to keep the flap open and poured all of it in the tank....needless to say the vechicle was disposed of shortly after.....idiot....bwahahhahaha

obviously not too smart... you're posting about admiting to do it now ;)

Originally posted by girlygirl18t:

graemlins/nutkick.gif