Dirt Riding 101?

exSRAaron

So some of you may know, I'm thinking about picking up a dirtbike sometime this month and was hoping you guys could offer some advice. This stuff is COMPLETELY new to me...What bikes should i look into? I was thinking maybe YZ or CR125's... I was surfing around dirtrider. for information. Seems like I should stick with a two-stroke for ease of maint. etc I'm not really looking to get into racing or anything yet, it's just a hobby I've been interested in since i could ride two wheels. Mainly wanna hit trails, maybe some jumps, etc

One thing that concerns me, is my size, I'm about 5'6-7ish, 145 lbs.

What size of bike would fit me well and be good for learning?

What stuff should i look for when purchasing, forks, chain, brakes, engine?

Is there a lot of local places to ride?

Do you just need a permit to ride most of these trails, and parks?

Where should i look for used bikes, craigslist, etc?

Right now, I'm just looking for something reasonably priced that I can have some fun with and maybe whip the ole farts on here too. :D:p

Any advice is appreciated! thanks

Aaron

There is so much to look at on used dirt bikes that your best bet would be to take someone with that knows what to look for.

2 strokes are easier to fix if something goes wrong but the 4 stoke is going to be more reliable, better for trail riding, and the power is always there as opposed to a 2 stroke.. Its really personal preference between the 2 and 4. I would say a 125 would be fine for you.

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because uh some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for.

He doesn't need a job, he needs to sell some cars.

from another post...hes looking for one :) (and im a dick) lol

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because uh some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for.

huh? damn acid!!! :)

:wtf: Wha...? What are we drinking tonight?

Maybe I've got bad grammar today?! :confused:

I know a guy who has the great bike for you 230tt for 1800 bucks.Its a 2006 pm me and let me know if you would be in to it. Its a great bike to learn some trail riding and track.Also its in really good condition.. You will be on your tippie toes but I don't see how that would be any different than the 600rrr. I think its a easy cheap way in to a lot of fun w/ me and a couple other ppl .

PS You better be in shape!!

I gave up the dirt 8 years ago when I sold my rm 250. Your about my size when I started out on a 250. It was too big at first but eventually I got used to it. There are many pros and cons to either 2 or 4 stroke. If your just looking for trail riding a 4 stroke is something you can start up ride around and park it. A 2 stroke needs more attention after every ride or every other at most. Beware of the older 4 strokes that do not have a "hot start" option. You will be miserable trying to start it back up if you stall it.

If you end getting one, after you fix your more urgent need(job), I still have all my gear and all the dust it has collected all these years up for grabs. I need a new riding jacket!