Where do you get your gas?

Tulo

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Can you explain this? I am honestly curious, not starting a pissing match.

I am not bias at all when it comes to gas and nothing against BP/you/or family ties. But, I can't even tell you how many people have come into the shop saying their car is sputtering/stalling. Then we check it out and find nothing wrong with the car. Dad ask's them what kind of gas they use. When they say BP, he tells them to fill it up somewhere else with the same octane and let him know. Not kidding, 90% of them call back a week later saying that the sputtering/stalling is fixed. It's just something about that gas and certain makes/models simply can't run BP gas. Which is the reason I won't use BP.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything but BP. Hell, I'll buy that 10% methanol crap from Meijer before I fill up with BP

Why? Well, aside from the fact that I get knock with their 91 octane gas on a motor with 9.1:1 compression and my mileage drops by 2MPG, I don't think much of a company that makes "donations" to the political campaigns of their former executives who were then in the state legislature commitees that decided Ohio did not need Octane testing, that companies could sell "Gasahol" blends without telling anyone, and that regulations regarding underground storage tanks needed to be "updated" in such a way that vapor emissions and leak risks are actually increased, but the small, independent operator stations couldn't afford the hundreds of thousands of dollars necessary to totally rebuild their system, thus driving them out of business, allowing the company owned stores to take over.

Guest FBody Addict

I get knock on 87, 89 i'm fine(9.5:1), but i usually buy 94 at the sunoco in reynoldsburg because it is on sale for most of the summer and cheaper than 93 (why i have no idea) otherwise i buy at shell

where you buy gas doesn't really matter because the refineries all use the same pipelines to send gas around the countries, and it is all the same at the refineries when it is pumped out. the only real difference is the additives that each chain may add

i have heard though not to always buy gas at the same station/company to get the fullest advantage of all the additives and cleaners that different companies may add

Guest Varioram
Originally posted by The Vette:

Sunoco 100oct only. That is all that will be in the tank of the vette.

where do you go to get the 100oct Sam? I usually get Mobil 1 cause I figure if Porsche recomends Mobil 1 oil then their gas must not be bad either. smile.gif

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Can you explain this? I am honestly curious, not starting a pissing match.

basicly i dont run it because every time i run it in my car my car gets bad gas, i dont know what it is or why but it never runs right with the bp gas.

Originally posted by SHIEF:

I am not bias at all when it comes to gas and nothing against BP/you/or family ties. But, I can't even tell you how many people have come into the shop saying their car is sputtering/stalling. Then we check it out and find nothing wrong with the car. Dad ask's them what kind of gas they use. When they say BP, he tells them to fill it up somewhere else with the same octane and let him know. Not kidding, 90% of them call back a week later saying that the sputtering/stalling is fixed. It's just something about that gas and certain makes/models simply can't run BP gas. Which is the reason I won't use BP.

Thanks for the reply. On the flipside, you can't imagine how many cars we have "fixed" after people have filled up at discount stations by simply having them run a tank or 2 of our fuel through their cars. We hear the exact same things about the other stations.

Originally posted by Avenger:

Anything but BP. Hell, I'll buy that 10% methanol crap from Meijer before I fill up with BP

Why? Well, aside from the fact that I get knock with their 91 octane gas on a motor with 9.1:1 compression and my mileage drops by 2MPG, I don't think much of a company that makes "donations" to the political campaigns of their former executives who were then in the state legislature commitees that decided Ohio did not need Octane testing, that companies could sell "Gasahol" blends without telling anyone, and that regulations regarding underground storage tanks needed to be "updated" in such a way that vapor emissions and leak risks are actually increased, but the small, independent operator stations couldn't afford the hundreds of thousands of dollars necessary to totally rebuild their system, thus driving them out of business, allowing the company owned stores to take over.

Where to start.

BP and Shell and Sunoco and Marathon and xxx company run 10%.

BP does not sell 91 octane. :confused:

The percentage of ethonol is clearly stated at each and every pump. Always has been.

The changes to the holding facilities were costly. They are better for the changes, however. There were many scarey, unregulated, unchecked tanks out there. Many around the outskirts of Columbus alone.

[ 01. October 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: NurkVinny ]

Guest riggs867

Sunoco > Shell > everyone else

I have heard several stories about BP gas plugging up fuel injectors. I understand that they use a pretty agressive mixture of additives & detergents. I had always assumed that the additives were the problem. However, Nurkvinny makes a strong / logical argument about the additives cleaning out the gunk left behind by cheaper fuels. The cleaners could easily carry large amounts of junk to the injectors, plugging them up as a result.

Regardless, I run a pretty fair amout of timing in the LS2, and BP's highest octane still knocks for me.

Gasoline 101: Higher octane = more difficult to burn. This will sound odd to most people, but it makes sense when you think about it. Knock is "pre-detonation". In other words, the gas has started to burn too soon (or too quickly), relative to the mechanical timing of your motor (before the piston reaches the top of its compression stroke). On the other hand, the higher octane also yields a little more heat / expansion, and a little quicker burn. This is important in higher compression motors, where there is more of a chance of deisel-ing (ignition as a result of compression).

Also, the octane rating (the percentage of octane in the fuel) is not an exact test. It is an approximation / test based on factors like volume and mass, instead of an actual chemical analysis. With detergents thrown in the mix, different fuels of the same octane rating can burn very differently.

If only we could get pure methanol at the pump for 50 cents a gallon . . .

ok.... here's my 2 cents... bp= burp & putt, i have over 10 yrs experience in the service industry, and seen a lot of clogged injectors from peeps that use bp. i not saying that its bad fuel, and people should use inj. cleaner as regular maintance, but seems to pose a problem with injectors, gm and ford. i personally have NEVER have used it..

I religiously used Shell until Recently. I swear that yes I do seem to get better mileage out of the new formuals but my car never seems to run as good. Do I get detonation???...NO I can't explain it but the car just doesnt run as well. Then the final straw was that my fiance and I both got a bad tank of Gas from a shell station recently which caused huge headaches for both of us.

Now...with the above said I used to work for a GM dealership and we had all sorts of problems with clogged injectors...the only comon factor in any of these situations was BP gas. We started to recommend that people not use BP gas and got in a heap of trouble because somehow it got back to BP. From there on out the only thing that we could do is suggest that people that were having clogged injector problems use a different gas than they were currently using.

Guess that leaves me with Sunoco...been running it for the last couple of weeks and both cars seem to be running top notch. I was disappointed to switch from Shell as I've used their gas forever but with the new formulations and 2 tanks of bad gas that company quickly lost my business.

In the Caddy, I run Sunoco 94 unless I can't get to it on the gas I have. Today, I filled up with Shell 93, and it's been running pretty well so far. I do use Speedway on occasion, as a last resort (but only with a fuel additive). In the wife's car, the manual says that it was built to run on 87, but I've found that after 125k miles, it really needs 89. Doesn't really matter where it comes from, but it pings on 87. I don't use BP, but that's mostly because I'd have to go out of my way to get to one. Plus, at the Sunoco at 161 and Karl, Ultra 94 is the same price as their 93, and both are usually 5-10 pennies cheaper than the Shell station across the street.

Originally posted by Varioram:

where do you go to get the 100oct Sam? I usually get Mobil 1 cause I figure if Porsche recomends Mobil 1 oil then their gas must not be bad either. smile.gif

Hamilton and 70. At the sunoco just south on Hamilton. They have 100 or 110 for 4.99/gallon or they have 116 for 7.99/gallon

Can't speak for Ohio, but in California we used to see "Car-B-ques" (cars on fire) almost daily, certainly weekly. My wife worked for a large insurance agency at the time who handled many of these fire claims, and handled the investigations for the CHP. The majority of the fires were due to fuel system leaks. The majority of these cars' ran primarily BP fuel.

That was California. Not drawing any ties between BP's additives/ethanol-usage and the above here, just conveying my family's experience. Regardless, personally I haven't used BP since I moved to Cali. Wether the connection is there or not, I prefer not to test it with my car. I understand I may be wrong.

As for folks having to run 100+ octane exclusively in their cars, sucks to be you. smile.gif Wanna race cross country? ;)