1000$ where do you start

Shinobi

What is the deal with DSM? I hear so much about it. Mostly what I hear is that they ALWAYS have problems, and are in constant need of repair.

At one of the meet ups a couple weekends ago, CRXPowered I believe was there; he recommend DSM. Basically, I would get to learn a lot about cars because I would be constantly fixing it :D

I can sell you a 94 dodge shadow in that price range and give you everything you uneed to put a turbo on it. (factory parts) lemme know its a five speed 2 door car.

its currently lowered swapped to a 5 speed new front seats newer tires new front clip (from a plymouth cuase they look cooler) I'm picking up all the stuff manifolds turbo harness and ecu to go to a turbo all factory chrysler stuff that bolts in. I'll throw it all in for 900

While not the best year for EFI 5.0's (it was probably the worst), look at what this sold for today. smile.gif You can find a decent one, but be prepared to look hard and possibly go a bit of a distance to get one. I found mine in Ohio, 90K miles, all stock, great body, new paint, perfect interior for $3800. I think it was a good deal, especially since clean four eyed '86 GT's are hard to find... smile.gif

Originally posted by Shinobi:

I might be interested in that. Do you have any pics of the car??

no pictures but your more than welcome to come look at it anytime. I drove it down the street tonight and everything worked fine. I have to finish up a few things and pick up the turbo stuff and it will be ready to go. lemme know

Guest jpurdy2003
Honestly, a DSM is not as unreliable as people say it is. I can't think of another factory turbocharged car that's more reliable. Mine got me reliably around Cleveland every day for over a year until I went to college and couldn't afford ~25 MPG and mandatory premium fuel. The fundamental problem with a DSM or ANY car in this price range is that people are tempted to spend money on mods while neglecting maintenance. ANY car in that price range will need at least some preventative maintenance, but sometimes owners of such cars (myself included) can get blinded by the urge to go faster.

how about a 2nd gen, non turbo RX-7? i've seen WELL used (but driveable) cars go for as little as $250, and the non turbo engines run forever. they're RWD and handle great...

you might also look at an early 240SX or MR2. whatever you decide on, a $1000 car is going to need A LOT of TLC. best of luck... smile.gif

Guest h23it
It really depends on what you're looking for out of the car as to what you should look for. If you are keeping the sonata for your every day driver than really anything goes. You could get a unfinished project car, a dsm, even a car that could break down every week and you could just work on it. If you are getting rid of the sonata, or just planning on driving the new car every day, you're probably going to want to go for at least a little dependability over all else. In my situation I would love to own an old muscle car, but I need to get to and from work every day and need to get good gas mileage doing so, so I drive Honda's. Sure it may be a little ricy, but my Prelude can run the quarter in 15.4 with very little mods and handles better than any other car I've ever owned while still getting me around 30 miles to a gallon. Out of all of the Honda's I've owned I've only been left on the side of the road by one one time, and that was because I snapped the timing belt. Every other time I could at least limp the car home and fix it.

Guest No_Speed4_You

I'm looking to sell my 92 Civic pretty soon here, you might be interested in it.

Sedan body

Engine swap with ~90,000 miles

Greddy turbo kit with intercooler/type s bov

DSM injectors, 240lph fuel pump

Properly tuned by Passen Motorsports

NO stickers whatsoever, total sleeper

278 HP and 231 lbs of torque.

Looking to get around 2K for it.

Originally posted by Rotary Jihad:

Try an older Subaru or Audi Quattro if you're jonesing for AWD/4WD. The late 80's models are running fairly cheap and since you have the Sonata as a daily you can run the other car as being a bit more of a race machine.

I would agree with this. Build suspension, and then drop a full STi swap in. In most older subarus, it drops in with little problem. Quick car that doesn't look quick. Don't buy a honda, don't buy a dsm, and don't buy a 5.0 unless you want something everyone else already has.

Originally posted by recklessOP:

how about a 2nd gen, non turbo RX-7? i've seen WELL used (but driveable) cars go for as little as $250, and the non turbo engines run forever. they're RWD and handle great...

I also agree with this, and the 3rotor turbo motor from the cosmos drops straight in. I'm not 100% sure on the drop out price, but I've heard around 3500. I also forgot, I know a guy selling a turbo1 daytona(87) for about 1000. Real clean and runs fine from what he tells me. He's a real nice guy so I trust him. His name's Jason, and lives in shelby. I believe Jeff(turbotrio) is also friends with him. Let me know if you wanna get a hold of him.

Originally posted by No Speed:

I'm looking to sell my 92 Civic pretty soon here, you might be interested in it.

Sedan body

Engine swap with ~90,000 miles

Greddy turbo kit with intercooler/type s bov

DSM injectors, 240lph fuel pump

Properly tuned by Passen Motorsports

NO stickers whatsoever, total sleeper

278 HP and 231 lbs of torque.

Looking to get around 2K for it.

Sounds good up until that, never heard anything good about Passen unless things have changed.

And honestly a DSM isn't so bad. Mine got me to Florida, back to Ohio, back to Florida, no problem. Actually the only problem I ever had with my Talon was the original water pump went out at 116k. Cost me about $500 to have that and the whole timing belt assembly replaced. All the other stuff that borke were minor and honestly it never left me walking anytime. I was never scared to go out start and drive it anywhere. Maybe I just got lucky? Or the nay-sayers are doing something wrong?

Originally posted by 007CRX:

I would agree with this. Build suspension, and then drop a full STi swap in. In most older subarus, it drops in with little problem. Quick car that doesn't look quick. Don't buy a honda, don't buy a dsm, and don't buy a 5.0 unless you want something everyone else already has.

What kind of Subaru would fit in this cateogy? Like an old Impreza?

I'd recommend a first gen MR2. They have the imfamous 4AGE enginge, they are midship, handle great. There are tons of parts for this car. You can get one of these super cheap and still have some money left over. Probably you best bet to get a sporty car for under 1 g.

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS,OR ASS:

that has to be the cleanest 80's toyota I've ever seen. did you find it that nice or have to cut all the rust out of it and put it back together?

Actually the car is all original except the rebuilt motor. Newer paint though. There's a bit of rust peeking out at the gas cap. And rust on the bottom of my hatch, but I'm getting a new replacement soon.