Fat mans rice-rocket motorcycle

excell

Most of you guys know me; I'm 5'10" and 235+- pounds.

I'm starting to look at what motorcycles to get here in the near future. I have a Kawi 500EX now, and I have outgrown it. I had my heart set on a newer R6, but now a friend of mine has me convinced that it's not enough motorcycle for me and that I will probably outgrow it by the end of next season, if not sooner. He is recommending something around 750cc. I want to buy a bike that I'm not going to kill myself on (Read: R1 or Busa), but I want something that is going to keep me interested and happy for at least two seasons. Basically, I want something to grow into, but not something that is going to be too damn much motorcycle.

Looking for something newer, like a late 1990's or early 2000's. Also, I have never really "fit" well on Honda bikes. I sat on an F4i and it just didn't "feel" right (read: my belly is too big for the gas tank). I love how I fit on a 2000'ish R6 and liked how I fit on a similar year GSXR.

What options do I have? I’m not really versed in motorcycles, and I know there are lots of bikes I’m not familiar with. I want to start looking now, so if I come across the right deal Hoblick can jump on it for me. tongue.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I REALLY suggest something like mine:

http://users.adelphia.net/~nurkvinny/images/02%20919/LeftRearZMedium.jpg

It fits nicely between the smaller bikes and the liter+ bikes. That is why I chose it. It's 919cc, derived from the 900rr engine, but set up much more for the 2k-7k rpm range. It keeps up with just about everything until ~100mph.

The tank is lower where it hits your gut, and has depressions in the sides of the tanks that fit your legs perfectly (I'm 5'10").

Oh, and it's up for sale. smile.gif

2001, something like 6k miles.

-Vince

chris.. your a bigger guy.. a kawasaki.. zx7r is a bigger bike.. something you mgiht feel comfortable on.. not as toyish as a f4i or r6.. basically.. a liter bike size wiht a smaller motor.

if ya want.. you can come over and take a sit down on mine and see if ya like it. shes sittin in the garage.. let me know ill take the cover off her

I dont know what kind of riding you do, but I doubt a R6 would disappoint you. (I'm partial)

I read that you sat on a '00 R6, did you ride it?

Any modern bike moves. How did you ride the 500? Have chicken strips? Slide the back tire around at all?

Are you set on sportbikes? How about an rc-51? sv1100?

Hoblick: That's exactly what I'm looking for, the feel of a bigger bike without all of the motor. I want something fast enough to keep me interested, but I don't need to go 200MPH. I would like to take you up on your offer; I'll get in touch after PRI.

I have had several people tell me to seriously consider a GSXR 750, so I think when it's time to buy I owe it to myself to try one out and see if I don't die.

I won't lie, my riding style is mostly going straight and cruising (Busa style tongue.gif ) but I still would like a bike that is sure-footed in taking turns. This is something I was never really able to do with my 500, it just never really felt "sure" in deep turns - so if I have a bike that feels confident in turns I will probably do more of that kind of riding.

Please help me with the term "chicken strips." I’m not sure what that means.

I'm not really into doing tricks, wheelies, etc. I just want to ride, have fun, and scare the skin off of myself every now and again. smile.gif

I'm pretty set on sport bikes. I like the look and feel of them. Cruising bikes are nice, and probably suit my riding style a little better, but the allure of a sport bike is just too much.

I appreciate all if your responses. Bikes are still something I don’t know a lot about, and narrowing down what I’m looking for will make finding the right one so much easier!

I was just looking at the RC-51. What makes it not a sport bike? Does it only come in red?

Same thing with the SV series bikes. What kind of bikes are they, if they aren't sport bikes?

Originally posted by MadMalibu:

You are fat. I think it's time you swallow some pride and purchase a Harley. Fit's your needs perfectly smile.gif

I have been looking at some, and really, they are within your price range.

-Marc

I may be fat, but you are gay.

I don't like or want a Harley. Not the bike for me. smile.gif

Chicken strips are the tire wear that happens only on the center section of the tire. Made mostly by NOT leaning the bike over to wear the entire tire. First thing alot of curve carving bike guys will look at when they look at your bike. I also tend to finger the footpeg nipples for wear.... ;)

At 6' and 225lbs we're about the same size (34" sleeve, 32" inseam). If you're close to that you will NOT fit comfortably on a GSXR 750 if you plan to do any long distance or cruising.

The 919 is a GREAT bike. When I was looking for my third I almost bought one. Definitely check his out. Of all the open standards I liked that and the Bandit 1200 the best for fit. Both have enough torque to make you never miss the top end horsepower.

However, I myself settled on the Yamaha Road Star Warrior. Don't confuse this with the rest of the Road Star line (cruisers), this is a muscle bike in the vein of the VMax, but built to stop and turn also. I picked mine up, a 2002, for $6k. They're $12k new but the 02s and 03s are starting to appear used on the market. You'll have the best time finding used Bandits as there's more of them. Then used 919s, then RSWs.

The RSW has the R1 inverted fork (a 41mm inverted Kayaba), fully adjustable rear suspension (Single shock, link-type), a 48degree lean angle (that BTW beats some "sport bikes"), its got a 200 series rear, huge 300mm 6pot dual discs up front, 4 pot out back (strong brakes), belt drive (meaning less lash, less noise, and near zero maintenance), and the kicker - a 1700cc engine. Torque stock is 105ftlbs, but for real cheap you can get Yamaha performance kits for it that'll put it into the 130s hp and 140-150s torque. And from there its easy to go up, like the Cobra they respond VERY well to simple mods. Probably the cheapest bike to add horsepower to I've ever owned. There are maybe ~three cars on here you couldn't crush with this thing (counting the purple dragster).

Being a V Twin its disgustingly simple to launch, and with the rear tire out behind you as opposed to under you, you can launch alot harder without having to feather for lift. By way of comparison it took me two summers to learn how to launch my ZX11 well enough to get into the low tens. I cracked 10.50 on the RSW two months into it. (In the nines by end of summer) The 200 series rear plus a 66" wheelbase = Dump-N-GO.

Burns out real nice:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/media/wallpaper/wallpaper_mcy_02rswarrior_gray_6_800.jpg

You can also get it entirely blacked out.

Some more pics:

This first one shows the Baron's Rad'ius Drag Bars which I like and probably will be mounting on mine

http://www.rswarrior.com/members/_SeaDragon_/ride-2.jpg

(You'll have to cut n paste that url into another browser window, the club doesn't allow hotlinking)

This second one is my bike - showing you the rear tire and that awesome exhaust:

http://www.rswarrior.com/members/Mowgli/MVC-006Fs.JPG

I would definitely look at Hoblicks 919. And thats as small as I'd go (you'll tire of a 750), and if you don't jump on the 919, look into the RSW, you'll be pleased.

I also never fit right on Hondas. They are, IMO, made for the "little fellas". Try a late 90s literbike like a ZX11 or ZX10 or one of the Yamaha Rs. Again a 750 will be too small and a 600 will be like riding a cramped toy for you.

[ 08. December 2004, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

Ah ha, yes on the chicken strips. I will be doing more and more cornering the more comfortable I get with the bike, however.

I like the 919, but I really do want something that has good freeway. Having the midrange torque is good, but it sounds like it’s a slouch when it comes to getting going from a roll. Am I under the right impression? My biggest problem with my 500 (other than the fact that it’s a 500 tongue.gif ) is that it pulled decent from a stop, because it’s pretty torquey, but when it came to freeway speeds it was a down and out turd.

I'm also undecided about naked bikes. I prefer the look of the full fairing, but when nicely done (like the RSW) I could see myself on one. I hadn't considered some of the cruisers out there. I really like the looks of the RSW and I REALLY like the look of it blacked out! I think I'll have to check one of those out for sure.

I hadn't really considered going larger than a 750 because I am worried that I am jumping into too much bike. But honestly, I took right to the 500 and riding a motorcycle like it was second nature. I think I should quit being a wuss and get something that will keep me happy for a while.

I really appreciate your input on this!

Originally posted by MadMalibu:

You are fat. I think it's time you swallow some pride and purchase a Harley. Fit's your needs perfectly smile.gif

I have been looking at some, and really, they are within your price range.

-Marc

Me, 6'1" 230lbs... i like HD's. They look good, sound good, and have some nutz.

HDs: Look dated, sound bad, zero nuts. tongue.gif

Heh

--------------------

Sounds like from everything you're saying you want a bike with torque. And if you go naked, then you want bigger not smaller. But sounds like you got the right idea- with a torque bike you can have fun without having to go 100mph+ to get a thrill. Hell on my fully faired ZX-11 if I'm going 80mph it doesn't even know anything is happening. Boring. Like riding a sewing machine until you achieve Ludicrous Speed. Where you start having real fun, until the Captain of the Chevy Impala ahead of you orders up hard left rudder and steers into your lane...

BTW - the seat on the RSW was changed for 2004 over the earlier design which was more streamlined. I like the seat on my 02 better.

Anyhoo if you go here there are two 360 degree views you can rotate the bike around. Its pretty muscular.

Also check out RSWarrior.com for more owners' pics. But alot of the people there ruin the unique look of the Warrior by taking it back toward looking like a cruiser. Lower it and lose the awesome cornering clearance, and put dual straightpipes on it and become completely unoriginal. Ugh. But there are a few badass looking bikes there, and you can get a good lead on a used example from there too.

Also I recommend the chin cowl for it - I mounted one on mine. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of that that also shows the smaller passenger seat. You're also welcome to come try it out if you want to wait til spring, obviously mine's not for sale but you can get a taste to see if its along your lines. Its an easy bike to ride - very forgiving. Also with that howizter of an exhaust can the exhaust sounds awesome. Not blat blat blatty like a stright piped HD and not tinny like my ZX. Think Ducati but MUCH deeper throat. You can still "BLAT" away a tailgating car though when you want, heh, loudly.

Oh, and also they're fuel injected. Never deal with the choke or poor cold performance, or float bowl maintenance again.

EDIT:

Here's a pic of mine with the chincowl on, you can also see the smaller passenger seat of the 02. And they've got a kickass blue hue'd display that looks great at night - I think they changed this to red for the 05.

And, even though it doesn't sound like you're worried about this, remember the basic rule of thumb:

Women look better on sportbikes, men look better on cruisers.

Also - don't forget to check out the Bandit 1200.

[ 08. December 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

Engine size all depends on the other characteristics of the bike. Gearing, weight, rpm, etc.

RC-51s are a sportbike, but they have a v-twin engine. It is more torquey than screamy. A completely different beast from other inline liter bikes.

Suzuki SV bikes are also v-twins. Personally out of that line, my favorite is the SV650. It is a blast to ride... very nimble, torquey, and a light front end. It looks good too.

Interceptors are very nice bikes if you go with a newer one. I think the older ones are turds though. The newest model has a form of vtec (yay), linked abs brakes, and many other bells and whistles.

I would toss Interceptors and SV bikes into the "sport touring" category. If I had to make a generalization, these guys are the true street enthusiasts. You see them riding in full rain gear in a storm, carving corners. You see them with their cargo bags and chatter boxes riding in groups through the mountains on their way to alaska. Very agile bikes, they could hold their own on race tracks or ride beside a goldwing on a long ass trip.

I dont want to step on toes, nor am I an expert. (most of all I dont really know you ;) ), but if you step up to a bigger bike (gsxr-750) and are not really ready for it, IMO your learning curve will flatten out and you start just trying to keep the thing tamed.

If you were not riding the hell out of that 500, tossing it around and feeling confident (not over), a 750 sportbike could bite you quick. Personally I ride a 600, and I have now for 6 years. I am not ready to have anything bigger. When I feel I have mastered my bike, and can ride it at its limits I will step up. There's nothing like embarrassing squids on liter bikes with my 600. graemlins/thumb.gif

Look hard at those sport touring bikes. Bottom line, try to ride something similar to what you end up getting before you buy it. (more than in a parking lot)

chris isnt realyl looking to bust out curves, or do wheelies or even run nines at the track. he wants a bike that fits his body type, the styling that he likes, and somethign he can feel confident on. i think that a GSXR750 or Kaw ZX7R would fit him perfectly. im assuming he likes the full fairing bikes. since so far thats all that he had mentioned. so a naked bike, or sport touring isnt in the direction he wants to go.

im tellin ya chris come take a sit down on my bike, and if its nice enough out take it for a spin. you get the full size frame, wiht a little less motor, comfortable as a sportbike can be, and has a nice power band. handles insanely nice to boot. not tryin to push you towards the same kind of bike i ride, but i think this is something that you might be looking for. jsut pm me and we can set up a date for you to come c heck it out.

The naked 919 is a sweet bike. And sweet looking. And I don't think its a matter of "it sounds like it’s a slouch when it comes to getting going from a roll".

But I'm biased too - I almost bought one myself.

I'm kinda like StockV6 in advice. But then, I went from a GS450 to a 900 Ninja and never looked back. You *could* stepping stone your way up the whole way, never incrementing more than you can handle just beyond your current limit, but then you'll go thru a whole lot more bikes. Or you could just jump to a literbike. Sure if you're a dumbass you could get more bike than you can handle, but then a CR50 can kill you just as dead as a CBR XX Blackbird. And after all, it doesn't hurt a bike to be driven at its 50% point, and so what if you never eventually can carve on it past its 60% point.

I've watched big guys on old dinosaur FJ1300s and skinny tires whup skinny 22yr olds on CBR600F4s and new fat rubber thru curves. It aint the bike its the rider.

If it fits you, ride it.

you might want to look in on a Kaw ZRX1200R, my dad has one and the styling is more retro, so its not for everyone. The 1200 CC engine in it is a bored out ZX11 motor and is tuned more for torque and midrange. It feels like a big bike, but does not have so much power that it will scare you. Has about 112 hp and 75 ft lbs of torque, they havent changed the model in the past few years so you could pick up an 02 model (the same as my dads) and it will be identical to a brand new 05 except for the color. As i said before, the way it looks is not my style, but a lot of guys ride em and they all tell me its a great bike, and from riding it i agree with em its a lot more torquey than my 636, but a lot heavier, my first bike was also an EX, and my 636 is deff enough power for me, also look into a Suz SV1000S, sporbike styling, with a torquey midrange V twin.

Haha, "Ludicrous Speed"

I think I'm going to definitely check out a RSW. It sounds like it will be good candidate for me, if I can locate one in my budget. I will have to get the chin cowl. It really completes the look!

I like the idea of the 919's power band, but the looks just don't seem to excite me. I'm not really a naked bike guy, but the RSW has such nice lines it's hard not to like it. I think I will have to see a 919 in person to really get a feel for it. The Bandit also doesn't do a lot for me.

When I rode my 500, I felt very confident. I often would find myself feeling very limited by its lack of power, especially on the freeway. It also didn't feel very sure footed in the corners, and thus limited me on how much cornering I did. I think I am going to error on the side of getting a larger bike. Who says I have to go wide open the first day I own it? I know that I'm a sensible rider, and I can control myself until I'm ready to step up. I want to buy one bike to personalize and enjoy, not have to buy a new bike every season.

Hoblick, I'll take you up on the offer pretty soon. I would like to see how I feel on a newer Ninja. smile.gif

I can't wait to get a bike so that I can do more riding this coming year. I missed a lot of riding this past year, and I really missed it. It's just a little confusing now that I'm ready to step up. Can't just buy a $1500 disposable bike this time.