Fat mans rice-rocket motorcycle

excell

Originally posted by DragKnee66:

101hp does not keep up with R1s and Busas after 100mph tongue.gif

Please reread. He asked what it WILL NOT keep up with.

Chris, there are few bikes and zero cars on this board I would be afraid of runnning with from a roll. It is FAR from a slouch. It easily outruns late 90's to present 750's. Coming from your 500, you would not be disappointed.

It has a very broad, instead of peaky, torque curve. But actually, the best part about the bike is the near-upright riding position. You can easliy do a couple hundred miles a day in comfort. I really do need to order the windscreen, though.

My previous 3 bikes were all 600cc crotch rockets. After riding the 919 for a year, I will never go back to a laying-down position street bike.

EDIT- oh yeah, and if you decide someday to go the cruiser route, RSW all the way. My friend and I have swapped bikes a few times mid-day, and that thing bone-stock is a blast, and comfy as Hell.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more research I do on the 919, the more I like it. However, I ran across this article and it is making me wonder. I really want a bike that I can upgrade as I get better, but this seems to explain that upgrades are useless because the 919 is already taxed as it is.

I found this image, and I LOVE it. I would definitely have to get that belly pan, windscreen setup, and eventually the rear seat delete. I also love this blue!

http://www.919.org/gallery/9.jpg

graemlins/nod.gif

I was reading up on the RSW, and it's air cooled?! :eek: I was pretty surprised!

Vince, care to send me info on your bike? I might as well at least find out about it. ;)

Remeber this Chris

http://s90723722.onlinehome.us/CR/36dragfall04.mpg

All i got to say is the R6 pwns joo!

i love my R6 fits me perfectly at 5'9" 165lbs.

i can hit the curves hard then launch it straight pretty hard. ive took down honda 954's, 750's (havent lost to one yet), and a couple sucky busa riders

though it might not fit your physic just right, go to the dealership and try one out to see if you like it

A bike that i think would probably fit you good by what your describing is a late 90's early 00's ninja ZX-7R, its a big bike, has a very good power bandfull fairing good looking bike.

just remember though the R6 will still own you tongue.gif

There are several different model bikini fairings for the RSW.

Yup its is air and oil cooled (theres a small oil cooler radiator out front): looser tolerances=big room for power upgrades, and disgustingly easy to work on because of it. Its got an engine management computer to go along with the fuel injection (doesn't control just fuel flow) that I hear is flashable, but I'm not positive on that. There's a bunch of oil cooling kits out for it, but you really don't need them, they're really just chromey vanity things - heck, even with the Stage 3 SpeedStar kit (and by that time you're in the ballpark of 150lbs of torque starting at 1800rpm - which is a shitload of torque for a bike, btw) the bike doesn't overheat at all. I've had it out on 95+ degree days in direct daylight stop and go traffic and the only thing that roasted were my nuts.

As opposed to the Ninja, where along with my nuts, my right shin roasts whenever the fan comes on.

I'm a bit confused on the Ninja ZX-7R. You folks keeps saying its a big bike, but I've sat on my friend's, and I'm 6' with a 32" inseam (pretty average imo), and that bike ain't big; my knees were up almost in my chest, and with a 34" sleeve it wasnt even a long reach to the bars, if I locked my elbows I was completely up and out of the windscreen's protection and smack upright. I'll have to go back and ask him what year his was, because my recollection was it was small, and Perfect Enemy's 5'10" - thats not much shorter than me - course it depends on the inseam and armlength I guess? But I do remember with my legs doubled up as much as they were I couldn't put any weight on my feet for cornering and such, so I sat there with all my weight riding on the boys. crunch. no way am I taking a high G turn smushing the twins. one pothole and i would be a soprano.

You know - bikes are so good these days its really hard to find a dog. All bikes, IMO. Everyone's right - you gotta sit on em all first. You may find yourself surprising yourself and liking something you didn't expect to, like maybe the Bandit or that retro Kawasaki (those were the replicate Lawson superbikes right? nice bikes).

[ 09. December 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

That is pretty cool about the RSW, I didn't realize it was so high tech. I guess everything with a motor us high tech nowadays.

One thing is for sure, whatever bike I get will be fuel injected. No more carbs for me.

Mowgli, did you have a chance to read that 919 article I posted? I'm interested to hear your thoughts, you seem to know a lot about this and have a good grasp on what I want to do.

Thanks!

I think that article is pretty fair. Keep in mind though, that the article is written by a very seasoned rider who has pushed the limits of several all-out sport bikes. The 919 was not built to out-lean a 954, or out-run a Busa. It is what that article describes it to be - an all around fun, easy-to-ride bike.

I've owned a ZX6 and 2 600 Suzukis. With those bikes, you had to apply some force to handle sharp turns. On the 919, it seems that as soon as you're thinking about turning, the bike has already started the work for you. Another major difference I feel is in the rear brakes. I locked up the rear wheel too many times to count on my old bikes. On this one, you can push the rear brake VERY hard without it locking. This is a huge plus in my book.

If I had to sum the bike up, I'd say that it is very civil if you're into long highway rides, but is, at the same time, capable of 1/4 mile wheelies and acceleration that almost makes you slide out of your pants. smile.gif

I can only speak from my 10 years of riding experience. I don't go to the track on it; I don't stunt at all; I just get it out when the weather is nice and have a blast.

My wife also likes it more than my previous bikes from a passenger viewpoint.

I guess you really need to find one and see how it fits you. I was hooked after I sat on it. I am also a big fan of 'naked' bikes and of the slightly retro look of the front end. It gets a lot more attention and questions than the other, more abundant crotch rockets. I'll admit though, I questioned my friend when he bought one, because I thought it would be a sled. It has a very unique power curve. With the 14,000 RPM bikes, you don't get thrown back until 7-8K. This SOB pulls hard immediately.

Enough of sounding like a salesman. smile.gif Let me know what info you'd like; it sounds like you're doing your research though.

Oh yeah, and it's fuel injected. smile.gif

P.S. That blue one looks bad-ass.

Vince

I agree I think thats a fair article. Also, though I personally have sat on a 919 in the showroom I have not rode one. I have rode a Ducati Monster which is sorta kinda the same thing as this bike and I will say this bike felt to me alot more comfortable that the Ducati, simple because of the angle of the grips and the peg placement.

I appreciate all of your input guys!

Today I went over to Hinds after going to the range. I sat on a few bikes and got a feel for what I like and don't like.

I am too big for a traditional sport bike, and found them very uncomfortable. On the other side of the spectrum I did not feel "right" on a cruiser. I sat on a GSXR 750 and 1000, a Ninja ZX-10, a RSW, and a Kawasaki Z1000. They didn't have a 919. :(

My favorite bike by FAR was the Z1000. I really like that bike. I felt perfect when sitting on it. My feet touched the ground without struggling, yet the bike still had a very sport feel. You guys were right all along; the naked bikes are for me. I think that the naked bikes are a good compromise between the performance and look of the sport bikes, and the comfort of the cruisers. The RSW looked and felt cool as shit, but was a little too comfortable for me.

The only problem with the Z1000 is the colors. Red on black, orange, and green are the only colors available. Yuck.

I also saw the SV's, which didn't look too bad. I may take another look at them.

So, what do you guys think of the Z1000, and what other naked bikes do you think would be a good choice to research?

Thanks. smile.gif

You will definatly get bored with a 600 real quick and most 750's have you lean way to far over the tank. The new 600's are fast.. but you have to scream them to get any real power out of it. I'm 6'1 260lbs.. and I had a 94 CBR900RR. I loved it. it had all the power you'll ever need and it was a pretty comfortable bike to ride for us "Large" guys!! Also.. look at the CBR1100 XX Black Bird. Real nice bike and very comfortable.

Chris,

The Z1000 was the other bike I was considering when I bought the 919. I found them to have a very similar feel, especially the upright sitting position. Not sure who copied who, bought the tank cutouts, and overall riding position between the two bikes was eerily close. smile.gif

The thing that finally swayed me to the 919 was the price of the used 919 vs. the pricetag of the then-brand-new Z1000.

And like you, I wasn't happy with the Z1000 color choices. The wife said she felt 'too high' on the Z1000's passenger seat.

As far as power, both bikes are set up for mid-RPM torque instead of highend peak HP.

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Chris,

The Z1000 was the other bike I was considering when I bought the 919. I found them to have a very similar feel, especially the upright sitting position. Not sure who copied who, bought the tank cutouts, and overall riding position between the two bikes was eerily close. smile.gif

The thing that finally swayed me to the 919 was the price of the used 919 vs. the pricetag of the then-brand-new Z1000.

And like you, I wasn't happy with the Z1000 color choices. The wife said she felt 'too high' on the Z1000's passenger seat.

As far as power, both bikes are set up for mid-RPM torque instead of highend peak HP.

Damnit Vince, send me info about your bike already! tongue.gif

That Kawasaki is a sweet looking bike. And Kaws are great, but then I've got two. ;)

Looks like a good choice. Now I'd say find a good used example of one - that's always the "fun" part... If I were you I'd start shopping for a good used one but in the meantime while you're doing that continue sitting on each and every model you can think of and get your pants on.

Did you say you have or have not sat on a 919 yet?

I have not sat on a 919 yet. Honda Northwest was closed, so I'll try to hit them one night this week.

I'm so skeptical of buying a used bike because I want to be sure it was broken in properly. I didn't really care with my 500, cause it was a beater bike. But I don't really want to spend the money on a new bike, especially knowing that something might happen. I'd be pissed if I bought a brand new bike and something got fucked up on it. You know?

Originally posted by Fornicate:

I'm so skeptical of buying a used bike because I want to be sure it was broken in properly.

If you end up being interested in mine, I can get you in touch with the original owner. As I said in the PM, he was the best man in my wedding. He treats all of his rides (from bikes to all-out show cars to his beaters) great. I am a complete neat freak with my cars, and he is twice as meticulous as me. For example:

http://users.adelphia.net/~nurkvinny/photogallery/ElcDsc00010.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~nurkvinny/photogallery/BBBike01.jpg

His break in period was mostly on rides along side me on my old ZX6, and he didn't come close to opening it up until ~450 miles. He took it back to Treadway Honda for it's initial 2 scheduled services.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

The 2005 Yamaha MT-01

Has my 1700 motor in it. That'll hand out some ass-whuppins. Click here for a more sexzee pic (warning, huge pic).

http://www.bikez.com/bike/22038/index.jpg

Now THAT is one awesome bike! :eek::eek::eek:

Have to look into one of those too! graemlins/thumb.gif

I went and sat on a Honda 599 (Salesman said it sits just like the 919) and I liked it... but I liked the Z1000 better. I have a lot of thinking to do...

• 3 weeks later...

Mine's off the market for now anyways, but i thought this link was worth checking out, Chris.

http://www.bikez.com/bike/rating.php?idbike=19993&msg=1

It compares the 919 to all naked bikes as well as to all other bikes. The red bar is the 919. The light grey bars are the naked bike ratings. The darker bars are the all-motorcycles-combined ratings.

-Vince

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Mine's off the market for now anyways, but i thought this link was worth checking out, Chris.

http://www.bikez.com/bike/rating.php?idbike=19993&msg=1

It compares the 919 to all naked bikes as well as to all other bikes. The red bar is the 919. The light grey bars are the naked bike ratings. The darker bars are the all-motorcycles-combined ratings.

-Vince

Very cool site.

Why did you pull yours from the market?