Amp Question

Guest rugbyracing

Guest rugbyracing
I went to best buy and asked them why my amp wouldnt power up and they said it was cuz i was usign 10 gauge amp kit and i need to buy an 8 guage. does this have ne thing to do with my amp not powering up? cuz if he is BSin me i dont wanna wast 50 bucks.. thanks

Uhhh, step #1: Don't go to Best Buy for car audio. EVER. The majority of their stuff is straight up overpriced junk, and their techs are not exactly people I'd let near my beater, let alone my car.

Secondly, you gave about as little detail as you possibly could have. WHAT KIND OF AMP DO YOU HAVE?? If it is some big Class A amp, then yes, 10 gauge is WAAAAYYY too small (of course, so would 8 gauge). Just a 4-channel mids-high's amp? Big sub amp?

Regardless, the gauge of your power wire would not cause the amp not to kick on (as long as the volume and gains were not cranked). As long as you have power to the amp, usually the cause is:

- Bad ground or

- Bad remote

Check those first. But they still could be right about you not running a big enough power wire; 8 gauge is the minimum I would install w/ pretty much any amp. Hell, I run 0 gauge in my car. :D

It should power up on 10 gauge wire, if you are getting power loss I would upgrade, take a meter and check that you have 12V at the connection and check that your remote has 12v.

Guest fastdriver
Unless you over 800 Watts RMS you don't need more then 10Gauge My old Amp i ran 4 gauge on but that just because i had it. Most people don't have enough power to justify that kinda Wire. I would look at Fuses and grounds first

ground wire, remote wire, and if you feel like doing an extra wire, run an 8 gauge ground from your battery to the back o your car to help eliminate any ground loops.

go nuts with the multimeter, check voltages.

also, if you are using your head units remote power output, :

1 it may require activation through your stereo (menu function, ect)

2 it may not have enough umph to trip your amps on switch (most remote outs are rated for about 500 mw, some amps may require more than that to turn the remote on)

Originally posted by Cruisin VW:

Unless you over 800 Watts RMS you don't need more then 10Gauge My old Amp i ran 4 gauge on but that just because i had it. Most people don't have enough power to justify that kinda Wire. I would look at Fuses and grounds first

This is the kind advice that starts fires. Don't follow it.

You'll be able to pull ass loads of current through a 10 gauge wire, but it's gonna get freaking hot. Too hot, and you start buring the sheathing. Get the idea?

Also, hot wires are less efficient, causing a resistance in the wire = lower voltage to the amp. Lower voltage = lower power.

Yeeeah. with 800W you really should be running 4 gauge. N20 bird is right on this, 10 gauge +800W = fire. Not if, but when.

Your amp will power up with 10 gauge wire. All i can say, you've already read. If all the connections are correct, the amp may be fried. Sorry.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

[QB] Uhhh, step #1: Don't go to Best Buy for car audio. EVER. The majority of their stuff is straight up overpriced junk, and their techs are not exactly people I'd let near my beater, let alone my car.

actually, i know most of the techs in lancaster...they get a hell of a discount on car audio..sometimes over 50%...i dont know about the ones in cbus..but the ones in lancaster know their shit

Originally posted by ttemper:

actually, i know most of the techs in lancaster...they get a hell of a discount on car audio..sometimes over 50%...i dont know about the ones in cbus..but the ones in lancaster know their shit

So 50% off means they get it for the same price I could get that stuff online. And Best Buy does not carry nice car audio stuff.

i didnt say they had nice equipment..i just said they know there shit smile.gif

and some of the cd plaeyers they ahve in lancaster are nice..and the only way i know of you being able to get the same price on stuff is from ebay..all of which you most likely wont get w waranty or anything

Originally posted by slowneon:

I went to best buy and asked them why my amp wouldnt power up and they said it was cuz i was usign 10 gauge amp kit and i need to buy an 8 guage. does this have ne thing to do with my amp not powering up? cuz if he is BSin me i dont wanna wast 50 bucks.. thanks

unit should power up with any wire size let alone a 10 gauge. Now when operating n2obird is correct you would want a 8gauge wire min. which bby did you goto? the way the managers make you do shitty stuff i wouldn't doubt it if he was just trying to make his accessory goals...now is the amp not powering up or is it not making the noise you need

Kyle G.

I've powered up amps with 18 gauge speaker wire without a load just to be sure they would come on. If it's not powering up it's either a bad amp or wired incorrectly.

Originally posted by drunkendubber:

unit should power up with any wire size let alone a 10 gauge. Now when operating n2obird is correct you would want a 8gauge wire min. which bby did you goto? the way the managers make you do shitty stuff i wouldn't doubt it if he was just trying to make his accessory goals...now is the amp not powering up or is it not making the noise you need

Kyle G.