A ? for you Camaro people

Drunkendubber

One of my buddies across the hall was wondering what mods he can do for his '98 Camaro SS he has a programable chip, drop in K&N already but isn't sure what else he should get. I recommended exhaust, cut-outs but outside of that i wasn't sure what all they have for his car specially since his engine bay is soo small. He also said that he didn't think anybody made headers for his car, if anybody knows of any let me know. Thanks for any help.

Kyle G.

They have plenty of mods for his car. Just depends on how much $$ and what he wants to do w/ the car. They have headers for the LS1s, shorties and longtubes. He may want to get the last issue of Popular Hot Rodding which had a "Best bang for your buck" bolt ons for LS1s (and many other cars).. I'll give it a look when I get home from work tonight.

Stuff fits under the hood you just have to remove/move some stuff around first. :D

It's all a matter of $$ like Sam said. If he gives a ballpark figure he wants to spend I'm sure we camaro/firebird people could come up with some viable options for him. ;)

Ok I lied it was the May issue of Hot Rod.. Here I'll type out the article since it isn't that long and I cant find it online.. The person talking is Judson Massingill from the School of Automotive Machinists (SAM), and they know there LS1s. They have a naturally aspirated manual SS that runs 9's :eek:

The LS1 makes incredible midrange and topend power. Automatic owners can get it sooner and shave 4 tenths by replacing the stock 1800 rpm converter with a 3000rpm replacement from TCI,Yank and others. Sticker shifters will shred the stock clutch within 20 passes w/ slicks. I use a McLeod single-disc clutch and pressure plate that runs low 10s all season despite 7800rpm launches and powershifts. The stock shifter is too sloppy:B&M, Pro 5.0, and other make a better shifter. The stock airbox incorporates a muffler device that is very restrictive, MTI, LS1 Motorsports, and others make a high flow airbox thats worth 11 hp at the tires. Fast Times and SLP offer ram air kits for even better inlaet air quality. The stock 7.62 rear axle is just about hopeless with sticky tires. It might go a season behind a bone-stock auto LS1, but a stick car wil kill it in no time flat. Moser and Strange offer direct bolt in 12bolts and Ford 9 inch axle assemblies that last practically forever. The stock cast steal exhaust manifolds are amazingly efficient. They can stay put until rear wheel hp reaches 350, then headers help. Instead of removing the manifolds, I'd go after the stock catalytic converters, pipes, and muffler. High flow cats from TTS, Borla, SLP, and others will unleash 2 and 1/2 tenths on a stock powerplant.

Originally posted by 93TANG:

Damn, you act like you only have two mods on your car :rolleyes: . :D

Well, I actually have 3, but I don't count my shifter as a power adding mod. I believe only the R----- do that. ;) It's no big deal, I have a hard time convincing people of that all the time... :D