Check your sump pumps...

nurkvinny

...after an entire night of rain. I did not go in my basement for 2 days after it rained like hell last Tuesday. When I opened the basement door, I found wet cat prints up and down the basement steps. WTF I thought.

I had about an inch and half of standing water in most of the basement. Cleaning up the aftermath from midnight until 4 in the morning (and 3 nights after that), is the most pissed I have ever been.

School awards, newspaper clipping, college books, old car/truck pictures, etc... all fucked.

I used to make fun of my wife for storing everything in closed plastic containers. "What's wrong with cardboard boxes", I thought.

Rain > me.

I used to install security systems about 7 years ago and one of our most common add on item was a water level detector that would make your keypad beep like a mother if you had rising water in your sump well. I need to add one my system at home.

Originally posted by BIG PAPA:

I used to install security systems about 7 years ago and one of our most common add on item was a water level detector that would make your keypad beep like a mother if you had rising water in your sump well. I need to add one my system at home.

Is there a similar stand alone system? I started searching for 'back-up' systems Friday, but most are just in case power goes out. I have a generator for a loss of power situation, my problem was that the float did not trigger the motor (both 6 months old).

Guest Harris92
My old basement flooded really bad, we had water pooling under our carpet in my basement so bad it looked like my entire basement floor was a pillow. Shit sucks graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I had a sump pump burn up after the float found its way onto the top of the pump. I decided to just buy one that the float was more like a toilet lever rather than the longass teather that the old one had. The only time our basement flooded was when the cheap water heater took a dump on the floor. I found a softball sized hole in the bottom of it when I ripped it out.

Originally posted by Innocuous:

We have a backup pump that is both electric and battery powered. It kicks on if the water level rises above a certain point.

It has proved its value a few times and counting.

Does it sit in the tank beside your main pump, or outside of the sump?

That's great timing. My float switch went bad yesterday and I had water starting to seep through. I went to Home Depot and got a pump with a float and lever switch. Stay away from the float only and pressure switches they always go bad.