PC Guru's: What PC to get? Your opinions needed

SHIEF

See post below, need help building a PC now.

I'm not much of a computer guy so I thought I'd ask the pro's on here because I know quite a few of you work with them everyday. Looking to get a PC for the gf's apartment and wanted some input on what to get and why to get it. I'm looking to spend around $2000 on it. So far I'm thinking about getting the Dell XPS system, but unsure on which one to get. I'm not sure that the $2400 is that much better or worth it. Is the XPS a good PC, or is there better ones for this price to get? Here's the specs between the two off a flyer and I'm unsure on what some of the numbers are so :):

$1700 after mail-in rebates:

-Intel Pent 4 640 w/HT Tech (3.20 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800Mhz fsb)

- XP home edition

-512MB Dual-Chan DDR2 SDRAM

-160GB SATA Hard Drive

-17 flat monitor

-256MB PCI Express x16 Nvidia GeForce 6800

-16x DVD-ROM Drive: 48x CD burner (2nd bay)

-Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS sound card

-90 Day warranty(s)

$2400 after rebates: (only listing the different/upgrades)

-1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

-250GB SATA Hard Drive

-16x Max CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) (2nd bay)

-better keyboard w/ 9 in 1 Card Reader, Dell USB Multimed Keyboard, Paint Shop, photo shop, musicmatch jukebox plus

-2 year warranty(s)

Usually I'm all about taking things apart and putting them back together. But a PC intimidates me, in that I have no clue what I'm looking at. About how much could I save if I had one of you guys put one together for me (labor) + the price of parts? I'd like to learn as it's being put together if possible as well.

I do know one thing..........no Mac!

i just built a new pc for just over a grand and it goes like this

abit as8-v

intel 4 3.0 oc'ed to 3.9

big water thermaltake liquid cooled

2 gigs ram

ati radeon 9800 256mb ddrII pro oc'ed 412/365 (planning to go higher soon) with water block

and a thermaltake 480w power supply.

but i used an old hard drive, and cd/dvd/floppy drives

and it hauls, there isnt anything i cant run on this, i just finished half life 2 with all graphics maxxed out and it never once freaked out.

if you want any help let me know.

and another thing, have you even used a mac, post os9?

ok for shits and giggles I built a complete systems with eveything you would need except software. $1,616.89 on newegg.com

here is the break down

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black - Retail

Model #: SOHW-1693S Black $43.99

Antec Solution SLK3000-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Model #: SLK3000-B $52.00

TEAC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive IBM PC or compatible system Floppy disk drive controller or connector Floppy disk drive interface cable 4MB RAM — minimum DOS or Windows®3.1X or Wi

Model #: FD235HFC429 $14.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Model #: WD1600JS $80.50

NEC Display Solutions V91LCD Silver&Black 19" 16ms LCD Monitor - Retail

Model #: V91LCD $319.99

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Model #: A8N-SLI Deluxe $164.00

ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO ALL-IN-WONDER Radeon 9800Pro 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

Model #: 100-713100 $199.00

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SOHD-16P9SBLK - Retail

Model #: SOHD-16P9SBLK $19.99

COOLMAX CX-400B ATX 400W Power Supply - Retail

Model #: CX-400B $34.50

ALTEC LANSING VS4121 31 Watts 2.1 Speaker - Retail

Model #: VS4121 $59.99

Logitech Media Keyboard 967415-0403 Black PS/2 Standard Keyboard - Retail

Model #: 967415-0403 $19.95

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000BNBOX - Retail

Model #: ADA4000BNBOX

and

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINXP1024-3200XL - Retail $618.00

oh and this is with free shipping

now you don't have to get every last thing here but at least you can get a idea of the savings. Also most people on here are more than glad to help out.

It will mainly be used for games and the usual interweb stuff. I want the gaming (such a dork) to be as good as it can get, but still be an all around good PC setup. But I might need it to be able to run an advanced graphix/design setup in the future as well.

Your forgot one thing... the operating system, so factor the cost in for that if you want a legit copy. Other then that, buy everything listed above (good choice w/ the amd and ati card). The only thing i'd recommend doing if you want a better gamer is upgrade the video card from the 9800 to a x800 256mb... You'll be set man w/ a much higher quality computer then the junk you buy in stores.

I'm defintely set on building a PC after these opinions.

Ok, so who will help me build this thing the right way? I've spent most of my day on newegg and I have a couple ideas, but need some pro input. I'll supply all the pizza and beer or a sum of money if you want, to whoever. As long as you know what your doing and don't mind showing me/help me put this together. Thanks in advance.

Im sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to help you out in assembling it. But seriously, it is so very easy.

Shawns list is pretty good except that motherboard doesnt have an AGP slot (;)). You will need a pci-e vcard. With SLI technology that will allow you to run 2 of the same vid cards if just one is too slow for ya. Id recommend something better than the 9800 too, it is quite old school. In addition, there is no point in getting the absolute best RAM when the system itself doesnt merrit it. I would check out Patriot Ram. Very well priced with low CAS timing.

I would recommend starting here:

http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/brb_default.asp

I've got one of those cases, and I love it. It will start you off with a compact case, that already has a motherboard and power supply built in, so all you need to do is add drives, a processor, memory and a video card.

I'm a huge fan of AMD, so I would suggest going with one of the three AMD 64 cases that they list.

Guest Scooter
I love to build computers. Other than my laptop, every computer I have ever owned was built by myself. If you need help, just ask. Looks like there are a lot more other knowledgable people on here, as well, so this should be the easiest computer build you've ever had! Well, since it's your first, I suppose that is true no matter what...

I'm running the Patriot ram in my system, pretty good stuff for the price. Also check into the nvidia 6600GT based cards vs the ati radeon 9800. They should come in less on the price and mine out performs the 9800 I used to have for sure.

The Newegg reviews are very useful. Apparently, you will want to get a new power supply if you get that case, which starts at around $50 for one that's even worth getting.

Keep in mind, if you get a big heavy case, it's that much more of a pain in the ass if you ever have to move it.

Yeah I had all the cases narrowed down to 3, but this one seemed to have the least complaints (most were the psu) and seemed to be made better than the other 2. This seems to be an inbetween sized case. I don't plan on moving it much though. Really appriciate all the input here guys :)

dont mean to jump in and change the subject just a little i guess... but my laptop just died.. screen and fan gave out, its an old 9500 Solo from gateway. anyways i wanna stick with the laptop because im not much of a gamer on the comp and dont need all that stuff but i still want something with a really good refresh rate and can take a lot of programs open at once, obviously building a laptop is prolly out of the question so any suggestions on a new laptop??? im also leaning towards a dell laptop. ive always used a comp with windows so im decent to that but im open to mac and learning to use their new OS tigerX or whatever it is. size, weight, etc doesnt matter, the 2-3 extra lbs and inches wont bother me, if it does have windows id want XP pro and office pro on it, a decent sized harddrive, and at least 512 memory. thanks

YOu dont know anything about computer then i recommend buying a dell. WHile saying this goes against everything i stand for, unless you know someone that will set it up and fix it for you for free, i wouldnt deal with the hassle. I have helped far to many ignorants build stellar comps and then dealt with the constant need for attention as their drivers disappear or something doesn't do what its supposed to.