This is what CR is all about, the help.

MrMeanGreen

Earlier this evening, I was taking Jessica and my kids to dinner when Firebird Jr. started chugging and misfiring, the SES flashing (obviously telling me what I'd already knew).

This happened once before, when I was test driving the car before buying it. The diagnosis was a bad Ignition Control Module, which in turn took out the three coil pack assemblies. They were replaced locally at Boyd's Goodyear (asshats) with Napa units and I promptly bought the car. Other than an annoying EGR solenoid, the car has run great and I beat the piss outta it on a daily basis.

So anyways, I get to our destination and shut the car off. Pop the hood, out rolls a plume of smoke and the ICM/coil pack area is just smoking something fierce, along with the stench of burnt plastic. Same shit as before, and these units are only six months/7k miles old. So I call Boyd's, where they tell me yes everything is warrantied, but only to the dealership and not me since their warranty isn't transferable. If I can get Byers to take ownership of the car, they'll warranty everything out. Click goes the phone from their end.

I call my brother, who unfortunately has gotten pretty much out of the 3800 Series II scene, and doesn't have any parts I need. But, Shawn Bucklad (Buck531 on here) does. Not only does he allow me to come over spur of the moment, he takes his time out to find and get me the parts, then sells them to me for $20.

These end up fixing the problem, and Autotap verifies the car to be 100% again, no misfires detected. All I can do is thank Shawn again for going outta his way to not only get me running again on short notice, but give me a helluva deal on the parts. This is why CR is what it is, and I'm glad it's here for everyone. I cannot feel more pride in he way we all come together to help when it's needed, or when it's not.

I have the original invoice for Boyd's, and Napa supposedly has a lifetime warranty on their parts, so I'm gonna see about getting these POS coil packs and ICM replaced under warranty.

there are so many stories like this since the beginning of CR... Its nice to know there is usually someone on here that will help

right now I am in the process of learning how to build my motor and the help has been great. As well as people helping me by just using their resources/equipment.

+++++++++++++++++++11111111111111111111

My schedule doesnt allow me to mingle with to many people. But having a place like cr has realy made it easier for me to feel like part of a group. I know anytime I have a question, be it about cars or anything in general, that the guys on cr are ready to help.

I've said this several times. For example when my heat went out, I had several people offer heaters and how to fix the problem.It was the first place I turned for help.

Also, CR is a good all around info base. I sware stuff is posted on here before cnn.com even gets the story. Plus it's interesting when you see whatever on the news, it always seems someone on here is connected to the story. Like, "that was my aunt that got shot" or whatever.

No problemo Ant. I just KNOW you were pissed when I told you I couldn't find it. Then I open up a cabinet and wha-f'n-la. Right there :).

In the future for other peeps, ONLY come to me for 3800 stuff. I don't have anything else :).

I call my brother, who unfortunately has gotten pretty much out of the 3800 Series II scene, and doesn't have any parts I need. But, Shawn Bucklad (Buck531 on here) does. Not only does he allow me to come over spur of the moment, he takes his time out to find and get me the parts, then sells them to me for $20.

I most certainly have not; I'm building a car in two weeks that should set the world on fire. I just didn't have the parts you needed on-hand. I could have had them here in 24 hours.

Don't forget who recommended for you to call Shawn in the first place. ;)

I really like CR. Despite all the hate and sarcasm on this board, it is very helpful. People I've never met have helped me out with personal problems, lended me tools or what not, it is rather amazing.

Well, Napa just warrantied the bad ICM and coil without question. So I've got a new set here, and if it goes out, back it goes for another set.

I've also verified no overvoltage and presence of ground on the circuit, so I don't see anything obvious that would cause these to malfunction as soon as they did. Maybe factory flukes?