Anybody Ride With a Backpack?

Cleaner

If I find the need to carry a couple small things, or like clothes for a night, I've used a small climbing backpack and I tie all the straps down so they don't hit me or the bike in the wind. I've used it on and off for about 4 years now, and having one around is really a life saver in certain situations, like staying at a friend's house a town away for a couple nights. Just put a couple things in there and you're all set.

I use a Jansport backpack that I used in highschool. I need it to put my purse in and it came in handy yesterday when I rode to Iron Pony with my friend and he bought boots, guess who got to carry his shoes back? Me, along with the other stuff he got along with my boyfriends stuff. It definately comes in handy, but it makes it hotter to ride. I want to get one of those little bags that magnet onto the gas tank. Those seem cool and they are just big enough for a few things and a purse. A little expensive though, around $50, at least expensive to me :).

I use an Oakley backpack (Oakley Icon Pack: http://oakley.com/pd/5040 ). Works okay, but kinda rides up on my back unless I have a heavy load in it.

Which Bailey bag did you get? I like the looks of the Super Pro, but they're pretty proud of it for $150 or so.

For the longest time I used a regular backpack but got tired of it. It sat on my back just fine when riding but I HATED it when I stopped and had to get it off. I couldn't get it over my pads on my jacket without looking like the bag and I were fighting. So I would have to take off my entire jacket in order to remove the bag. Plus my bag Eddie Bauer was not waterproof. I don't get caught in the rain much but its a nice addition.

Does anyone here use a backpack while riding? I just ordered an expensive bag that all the bike messengers use. Its from www.baileyworks.com . Just wanted to know if anyone else has found a bag that they like to use while riding.

which one did you buy?

i actually bought a nice hiking bag at the beginning or this season and it is working out just fine. it has a strap across the chest and the waist and those keep it from moving at all even in the tight twisties. good stuff i recommend one.

I've been using the same Kelty backpack for about 6+ years now. Made it through the end of high school and all of college with it. Definitely the best pack I have ever had. I use it hiking, mountain biking and on my motorcycle and it even has a spot for a water bladder. I spend about 70% of my time riding with a backpack :( which gets very old.

I use an Oakley backpack (Oakley Icon Pack: http://oakley.com/pd/5040 ). Works okay, but kinda rides up on my back unless I have a heavy load in it.

Which Bailey bag did you get? I like the looks of the Super Pro, but they're pretty proud of it for $150 or so.

Yeah, I got the SuperPro. Its sweet as shit. It has a quick release. I just pull on one strap and it loosens up. I pull on a different strap and it tightens the bag. I also don't have to remove the entire bag in order to access the contents. I hated wearing a bag as I go into the CVS to buy something and having to remove my entire coat simply to put a soda in my bag. I ride to work a lot and take files from home to work so its worth it. Also, going to write it off on my taxes for that reason.

I have a Targus one that I picked up online for about $30 on closeout from Circuit City. It's the same model our comapny pays $70 directly form Targus for. I lug a lenovo T60 laptop back and forth, and this thing is comfy and stable.

I bought an el cheap'o surplus store backpack. That place way out on East Broad. Flat black of course, like the bike. Seems to work fine, rides well, doesn't move around, and follows me wherever I go. I keep bike stuff packed in it "to go". It is somehow comforting to have it there. Unlike stuff bungie'd to the back of the bike, I never wonder if it is still there. The wind will untie knots and remove straps and strings and stuff, so tie them all down well. Once and a while I'll haul the laptop in to work in a Targus laptop backpack from Target, that works ok, but feels funny with the flat laptop in it.

I ride with a backpack pretty much everywhere i go, unless I'm just out for a ride. My backpack has a super squishy backing with breathable mesh material and some supports built in so that you can throw a laptop in it and not have it be uncomfy.

I also coughed up the big bucks and got a Nelson-Rigg mini tank bag, magnetic. The mini is new this year. I wanted real small, and it's a challenge fitting much in it, but it's mostly to hold the GPS under the clear top along with a folded up route map to look at. Inside goes camera, batteries, etc. Some people down South where it's maybe hotter, think the magnetic will leave a mark on the paint on the tank. Dunno, haven't seen anything like that yet. Magnetic stays put so far, even at higher speeds and cross-winds.

i have an 08 Thor Tech backpack that i use every day for work. i remember paying about $100 for it. it $63 now. the 09' version is $85.

its a hard case, padded back and straps 2 large chambers with a bunch of smaller pockets. love it.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product_list.asp/brand/THOR/Class3/Backpacks/Class2/Personal%20Luggage/Class1/

i used to wear a backpack, but i'd usually strap it to the passenger area of the seat more than wear it...

recently I got a "rapid transit" magnetic tank bag, so that holds most of my stuff now (spare sheild, hair brush, whatever else)

I bought an Ogio at Iron Pony for about $30 and it works pretty well. I think I am going to sew the straps to themselves so that they will quit hitting me while I'm riding....

Just use rubber bands. I have an ogio from pony as well.

Funny mental image of the straps bouncing off your face while riding though.. ahahahah :)