My First Winter in Columbus

Slippry

Hey guys this is my first post here and this is my first winter in Columbus. I drive a 06 VW GTI and Im wondering about what kind f tires Ill be needing. Right now I have summer performance tires but this week Im looking to buy some different tires. Im either wanting to get a dedicated winter set up steelies with some winter tires or just buy some really nice all seasons. Like I said this is my first winter here and I wanted to see what you guys would recommend? Thanks!

I've got H-rated Bridgestone Potenza Goo9s on my GTP. Haven't had 'em in the winter yet, but the tread is a deep, directional asymmetrical type, and the reviews are decent. The original Goodyear RSAs did well enough in snow, but I think these Goo9s will put them to shame.

Winter tires... pshhh as long as they aren't r-compounds you don't need them unless you live in cleveland or northeast ohio, columbus really doesn't get alll that much snow comparatively. Although I did drive back to cleveland in the blizzard of christmas 2 years ago in the talon, on balding potenza so3 pole positions. That was the scariest drive i've ever undertaken, but made it through alright.

I'm a firm believer in having stuff designed for a single purpose. For driving hard in the nicer months, get some high performance tires. In shitty weather, use snow tires. I don't believe in all seasons, as to me they compromise everywhere rather than excel at anything. We really don't get too many snow storms here, but theres always that one time of the year that i'm driving past lines of people stuck in a ditch while thinking about how nice it is to have a setup that keeps me moving.

Most people will suggest Blizzak's for snow tires. From my experience, anything that is a snow tire that also happens to be the correct size will work just fine. I can't even remember the brand name of the last set of snow tires i bought, and not once did i get stuck in the snow with them. Mud is a different story though :(

Alright guys Thanks for the quick replies! Im looking at getting some Continental ContiExtremeContacts any other recommendations?

I had those on my old WRX They wore really fast and flat spotted every night pretty bad, and the side wall was super soft like jelly, not to mention they were loud. I got good traction with them but I moved on to Sumitomo HTR+ for my STI when I bought it because I bought it in August and I new I couldn't drive on RE070s in a couple months. This is my third winter on these same Sumitomo tires. (I put my RE070s on in April and take them off in October) I have no complaints with these at all. I would look at those before the conti.

As previously stated, Blizzacks work well in winter. You will need to watch out for the other guy more than anything. The #1 fear of the typical Columbus driver is a snowflake. It will cause most commuters to <insert incorrect driving technique here>. IMHO, you need to know your limits in the snow just like you do in the rain and in the dry. Drive within your cars limits and your driving skill limits and you will be OK. /Capt. Obvious mode

CJ

Alright guys Thanks for the quick replies! Im looking at getting some Continental ContiExtremeContacts any other recommendations?

Damn, someone else got a new GTI, now I'm not unique anymore.

ContiPro Contacts, or whatever the hell they are, are what came on my car. They're all-season and I'm just gonna leave them on for the winter. I figure they'll do just fine. Maybe in the spring I'll get some summer tires. If you're really worried about driving in snow, you could get a set of snow tires or all-seasons to give you some security. You definitely don't wanna drive on those performance tires. But, looking out for the other drivers around you is a must in Columbus, no matter what the weather is like.

You will need to watch out for the other guy more than anything. The #1 fear of the typical Columbus driver is a snowflake. It will cause most commuters to <insert incorrect driving technique here>.

qft. Last winter, I had someone try to dash in front of me, turning left from Powell onto Riverside by the zoo. Don't know what they were on to think they'd have made it even in good weather, but in that morning's slop ,they got about four feet and started doing a slow doughnut. Good thing I had ABS on that car, or I probably would have sent that genius to the hospital.

Winter tires... pshhh as long as they aren't r-compounds you don't need them unless you live in cleveland or northeast ohio, columbus really doesn't get alll that much snow comparatively.

Exactly. I grew up in Rochester, NY. The winters here are cake compared to up there. I get a good laugh everytime they close schools here for like 3 inches of snow... :lol:

I'm a firm believer in having stuff designed for a single purpose. For driving hard in the nicer months, get some high performance tires. In shitty weather, use snow tires. I don't believe in all seasons, as to me they compromise everywhere rather than excel at anything. We really don't get too many snow storms here, but theres always that one time of the year that i'm driving past lines of people stuck in a ditch while thinking about how nice it is to have a setup that keeps me moving.

Most people will suggest Blizzak's for snow tires. From my experience, anything that is a snow tire that also happens to be the correct size will work just fine. I can't even remember the brand name of the last set of snow tires i bought, and not once did i get stuck in the snow with them. Mud is a different story though :(

So you have what on the Tundra now.

Snow Or Summer Tires..

Oh wait they are all seasons.

:)

Hey guys this is my first post here and this is my first winter in Columbus. I drive a 06 VW GTI and Im wondering about what kind f tires Ill be needing. Right now I have summer performance tires but this week Im looking to buy some different tires. Im either wanting to get a dedicated winter set up steelies with some winter tires or just buy some really nice all seasons. Like I said this is my first winter here and I wanted to see what you guys would recommend? Thanks!

you want to come and see me over at NTB in reynoldsburg 614-863-6926 after 12pm

I wouldn't recomend continentals, but if thats what you want I'm sure we can get them in..... I have a full line of performance all season's to choose from I'm sure we can pick out something you'll like....

ill be running toyo proxie 4 for the winter. ill let you know how those do but im sure they are more of a performance all season they will suck. this is on the protege, miata with supercharger wouldnt even go straight im sure.

i ran a set of winter tires on my elantra last years, and the snow we did get, and some iced over parking lots, i felt like i had MUCH more control over the car as i did with my all seasons. not to mention, they will last 4-5 years. i bought them used w/ 2 seasons on them, put one more on, and they were still full of tread when i threw em back on the car for the insurance company to take it (couldnt find a cheap set of tires in time...i regret it as my new car has 15's in a close size)

So you have what on the Tundra now.

Snow Or Summer Tires..

Oh wait they are all seasons.

:)

The Tundra has all terrains, not all seasons. I cheat though, I have a 4x4 :p

They are, however, more of a load bearing tire, but they are still more than good enough to keep me from having any fun in the snow. This thing just doesn't kick out like the Taco did :(

Wintermarks + chains = Win!!

I agree tires designed for a single type of terrain/weather will always win.

Sure wish we'd get some snow in Columbus again soon. Driving is getting kinda boring again.

Evan