Bike ramps. Need a big one.

chrismindless

Wondering if anyone knew a place I could get a pretty large ramp. I dont want to risk getting my bike stolen again, so Im parking it in my apartment, but there are a few stairs in the way, a total height of 51.5 inches ... looking at 10' to 12' ramps, preferably 36-40" wide so that I can ride the bike up and down instead of walking it up.

I was online and found a couple, but most are not long enough, the grade would be a PITA. And $100 for shipping is just ridiculous, I think Id rather support a local business and go that route.

Any ideas?

If it's only for getting it into and out of your place, build one.

1 sheet 4x8 3/4" plywood.

3 2"x4"x8'

4 hinges

and some screws.

Built my own last year.

Cut the plywood longways, so that you have a 2) 1'x8's and 1) 2'8'.

Built bracing for under the 2'x8' out of 2"x4"s.

Hinge the 2 1'x8's to either side of the 2'8'.

Then, the whole thing folds up to 2' when not in use, and held a 1500 Mean Streak. I know it's hard to picture, but it was cheap and worked.

so you got the bike back that the guy stole over the summer? did you find out who it was?

No, I'm 99% sure he found out who stole the bike, but by the time they realized who it was the bike was in pieces/sold and probably in mexico or something. Also, I do know he had another bike, an older 500cc, so I'm pretty sure this is what he's asking about it for.

Yep,

turns out my bike was stolen by a group of illegal mexicans ... one of them was pulled over and happened to be in a stolen car ... one ratted out the other ...

the bike was unsalvageable.

Insurance paid out so I got another one.

The ONLY thing about the the wood ramps is that I have to have a curved ramp of sorts, and weight ... aluminum is light.

Any ideas on how to keep the weight down?

• 3 weeks later...

nurkvinny,

my design is very simple but i think it will hold up to the weight of me (180lbs) and my R6.

same amount of wood, (1) 3/4"x4'x8', (3) 2x4x8' (2) hinges

the ramp will be 32" wide, so 3 sections from the plywood making a 12 foot ramp.

then the 2x4 will follow the middle of the board, 10" apart, 5" from center of the ramp.

I think that should be strong enough.

Nurk,

that is exactly the design i drew up.

I kind of did away with the 2x4 extensions for the ends so you can put your feet down .. at least i decided it would be best for me to build without, see how it is and then add more enforcement as needed.

how heavy would you say that bike was that you loaded with?

just like in your design im using the same principal for the fold.