Your Prius sucks!!!

zeitgeist57

Sigh... this "research" thing from CNW (a marketing firm, not a research firm), which is actually old news, still gets trotted out every now and then (by whom, I don't know) as proof that hybrids are a giant sham. Unfortunately, CNW has never (to my knowledge, anyway) published in any sort of *real* peer-reviewed scientific journal, while research debunking their claims by Argonne National Lab and MIT have been. Here's just a few things to make you think ;)

+ Two Toyota models mentioned in the report, the Scion xA and xB, sold only in the USA, are engineered with the same processes, built on the same assembly line, transported and shipped together, distributed through the same dealer network, have the same engines and transmissions, are about the same weight, and are both right around 35 mpg combined, yet the CNW study shows the lifetime energy use of these vehicles to be 53% different.

+ The nickel mines of Sudbury (which I've personally seen) are not the vast wastelands that this report makes them out to be. Not only that, but they churn out roughly 130k tons of nickel a year. Of that, only 1k goes to batteries.

+ The Prius costs $2.865 per mile, but a Porsche Cayenne costs $2.539 :)

+ The Prius lasts only 109k miles, but a Hummer for 300k

+ Despite what CNW claims, NiMH batteries are recyclable.

Have some more fun from Slashdot... hardly a hippie crowd over there. Now if only someone would build me an SVO hybrid... I'd be in Al Gore heaven :burn:

I hate filling up my car for $40-$45 or so, but it's only once every 10 days or so that I get bummed. If I drove a lame economy car I'd hate myself every damn day and that would suck worse. Right foot = V8 sound and enough power to make me happy. I'll live with 14-17mpg in the city. On the highway I can get 26-28mpg no problem so there I'm fine.

Sigh... this "research" thing from CNW (a marketing firm, not a research firm), which is actually old news, still gets trotted out every now and then (by whom, I don't know) as proof that hybrids are a giant sham.

If I drove a lame economy car I'd hate myself every damn day and that would suck worse. Right foot = V8 sound and enough power to make me happy. I'll live with 14-17mpg in the city. On the highway I can get 26-28mpg no problem so there I'm fine.

Hehe, I'd hardly call mine an "economy car," though that's probably because the word conjures up images of my dad's old algae-green Datsun hatchback. On the flip side, I have no need for a V8's power, either. Get me from Dublin to Delaware and back in one piece without falling apart, and I'm a happy camper. If I ever actually need to haul something, I'll either call my brother down from Cleveland with his torque-tuned Dakota, or rent something locally. 26-28mpg was what my old Sable was getting, and if it hadn't been costing me $400+ a month in repairs, I'd still be driving it.

Ahh, the limitations of Google :) Yes, it does look pretty nasty, but remember, it's so far north that it's too cold for hardwood forests (oak/maple/etc), and pines, which love the acid, can't get much higher than tall scrub, either. There's also wild blueberry (another acid lover) all over the place. So yeah, from space it looks like a dump, but so does any other large city. Or just follow US-6 west of Denver, just past Golden... talk about a shit hole wasteland!