4.6l Mustang GT vs. fbody LS1

Bam

What's it take for a GT to run with a stock ls1 fbody? Just curious, I'm in a position where I want to purchase a 'sports' car and these are the two common ones. Obviously the ls1 is quicker, but how much so and what would it take to a mustang to keep up/pull on it?

Reason being is stangs are cheaper/more abundant compared to fbodies, but if I've gotta spend $2grand or whatever just to run with a STOCK ls1, then I can adjust my price qualms a bit.

obviously, this would only apply to a stick vs stick car and and auto vs auto car, not one against the other.

thanks

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mustang you'll deffinately need a set of gears. Also the full bolt-ons, IE long tubes, X-pipe, cat-back, pulleys, intake. You should hang with a stock LS1, but you're easily looking at spending $2K and then some. Full exhaust would run ya well over a grand, gears maybe $250ish, pulleys $300 or so, intake $200 maybe, so it'll add up quick. You maybe better off doing a 96-98 Cobra for what you'd spend on buying a newer GT. Now if you're talking about the 96-98 GT's you're hopeless in keeping up with an LS1, you'll need a supercharger or juice.

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.2 13.7

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 5.2 13.6

When i was looking for my camaro it was pretty hard to find a M6 in my price range. My vote would be for a LS1 or maybe a cobra if you can find one for your range.

roflcopter

Scott, thanks man, what's special about the 96-98 cobra's?

4.6 DOHC motor responds A LOT MORE to mods. A set of 4.10's on a 96-98 Cobra with an exhaust will deffinately keep with an LS1. Cobra's love to REV, but it's hard to keep it in the power band with the garbage 3.27's I think that come in it from the factory. Granted headers on a cobra are a PITA, but they respond well to little things. Shoot for a 96-98 Cobra honestly, you won't be dissapointed. I was in the same boat back in 03' when I got out of basic. I wanted a pony car. Drove the cobra, loved it, but couldn't find one that was stock. (trust me buy stock/moded usually = beat to hell) Then I tried out LT1 F-bodies/C4 vettes. But ultimately drove the LS1 and was shocked by the car all around. Never had a love for 4th gen Camaros at ALL. But drove it around and during my first test drive, I fell in love.

Low 13s/high 12s.

My Formula bone stock to the paper filter except for "free" mods ran 13.24@106.5, 2.0 60'. The "weak year" '98 with the automatic. Going from 2.73s to 3.73s and nothing else saw it go 12.96@108.5 w/ 2.1 60'

First week owning my car, not knowing how to drive 14.0@103mph :lol: I went 13.5@106 with a Lid/Cutout/Free-mods.

My 98 ws6 = heavy , ran a best of 13.6 last wed at the trails. I spun the tires half way thru first and nearly got sideways going into second. My t/a is a a4 with 140,000 miles with all the factory optoins . I will be out there this Wed again trying to best my time. Come on out Bam. I ran a 01 gt there, he had a cold air kit and a few bolt ons and only could run 14.10's.

I would go with a 96-01 Cobra or 03/04 Mach 1 if you want to run with or ahead of an LS1 stock or close to it. Otherwise it will take about $2k in mods on a 99-04 2-valve and even then it's a drivers race and always will be.

The problem is that it's cheaper to get more (rwhp) out of a LS1 over any of the others as far as bolt-on mods.... :(

Gates open at 5 for tech . I got 2 runs in before eliminations at 8. I went til the fourth round of eliminations, I think there was a dozen cars left then. I left at 9:30 when I was eliminated. So I got 6 runs in .

My 98 ws6 = heavy , ran a best of 13.6 last wed at the trails. I spun the tires half way thru first and nearly got sideways going into second. My t/a is a a4 with 140,000 miles with all the factory optoins . I will be out there this Wed again trying to best my time. Come on out Bam. I ran a 01 gt there, he had a cold air kit and a few bolt ons and only could run 14.10's.

heavy? my goat ran a 13.8 w/ traction issues.. I went from 03 Cobra to an 99 Z28 / 04 GTO.. after owning 6 stangs, I like the LSx's better..

I ran a 96-98 Cobra w/ basic mods and some big drag tires against the heavy goat.. from a dig i had him by a fender and from a roll i had him by 2 - 3 cars.. I also raced the red ws6 and I think he just has an exhaust and intake and he walked me.. :( from a dig it wasn't as bad, but still bad.. I did however run a stock Ws6 thursday at kilkare.. he ran a 13.9 and I ran a 13.8..

you know my mods Matt and so far i've been able to walk 2 ls2 m6 gto's from a roll, charger r/t, porsche carrera s (380ish hp), and put bus lengths on a fox 5.0 with headers, exhaust, e cam and gt40 upper and lower. there's guys on the mach 1 board with 310whp and good drag setup running high to mid 11's full interior. A set of big and littles, control arms and a k member makes them hook like crazy

I beat a bolt on '96 cobra really bad with a lid and catback. Driver has everything to do with though. When I was searching for a car I narrowed it down to 96-98 cobra or ls1. I just waited for the right deal to come around. I would have been just as happy with a cobra.

Deejay - you ready to run again!!

Eric

I beat a bolt on '96 cobra really bad with a lid and catback. Driver has everything to do with though. When I was searching for a car I narrowed it down to 96-98 cobra or ls1. I just waited for the right deal to come around. I would have been just as happy with a cobra.

Deejay - you ready to run again!!

Eric

We're going to do a dig if anything.. lol after my drag tires are put on.. only to 40mph..

LS1. A bit more expensive to mod but well worth it. I have had 2 Gt's. One with bolt-on's. Cobra is fine but compared to a LS1, no comparison. I have drove, ran plenty cobras, modded and stock. LS1 is the best way. Cam/head swap full exhaust. That is all I have to say!!

gt= more comfortable ride, sounds better, more reliable.

ls1= much faster, responds to mods better.

Well im 6' 5'' and I don't fit in gts for shit. I think the ls1 is much more comfortable. maybe not for the short people though.