4.6l Mustang GT vs. fbody LS1

Bam

I've test drove 3 LS1's, but the car that impressed me was a 97' Cobra. All that was done to the 97' that I could see was exhaust. When I had it, I beat a couple camaro's, and some misc. off the topic cars. Fun car too. I'd say it really just depends. Just choose the car that you like the best "Style, Comfort, Power". Test drive a few till you find the "one".

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I already know a Mach1 and 03/04 Cobra is out of my price range. I'm really not wanting to take a car loan out so I only want to spend $10k max. I KNOW I can find a fbody in that range, and a 96-98 Cobra, but not sure about the 99/01 Cobras.

I'd really like to pick up DeeJay's, but I don't think he'd let it go cheap enough to make it worthwhile to me for having all the work done on it needed.

Guest Removed
I've test drove 3 LS1's, but the car that impressed me was a 97' Cobra. All that was done to the 97' that I could see was exhaust. I know when I had it, I beat a couple camaro's, and some misc. off the topic cars. Fun car too. I'd say it really just depends. Just choose the car that you like the best "Style, Comfort, Power". Test drive a few till you find the "one".

i miss that car, it drove nice after i fixxed it. i should kick you in the nutts for getting rid of it, but i like the new one. ;)

So that's why there's no '00 cobra? Damn...

correct. the '99's that did get the fix were/are monsters. the intake and exhaust were slightly changed in '99 and those prooved to be the culprits as far as the car not delivering 320hp. if i'm not mistaken, the '99s that got the 'fix' got a new catback exhaust, the intake was extrude honed, and basically got computer chips. all the '99's that got fixed are well past 320hp

correct. the '99's that did get the fix were/are monsters. the intake and exhaust were slightly changed in '99 and those prooved to be the culprits as far as the car not delivering 320hp. if i'm not mistaken, the '99s that got the 'fix' got a new catback exhaust, the intake was extrude honed, and basically got computer chips. all the '99's that got fixed are well past 320hp

Yep....

Only Cobra made in 2000 was the R-model.

After taking them a while to fix the '99 fiasco, they barely got the '01's out when they decided to not make a '02 model in the US and focus on the early release 2003's.... :cool:

If a Mach 1 is out of your price range, I would look at a 97/98 Cobra for the money.

What about a v6 camaro and turbo/supercharging it? What can those motors hold?

Reason I ask is I see 98-00 v6 camaros in great shape all day for $4grand, maybe they will take less. That leaves me with plenty of money to boost it.

huh uh. most people agree that mustangs sound better, and i do not conform to the myth that gm's, especially f-bodies, are more reliable than fords.

Mustangs are easy to make sound good. That might be why I hear them commonly referred to as noise boxes. LS1's can sound like boats with a bad exhaust choice. I have liked the sounds of my 6 different exhaust setups as well or better than mustangs - Flowdisaster, Hooker, Slp 2otl, Dynomax Ultraflow, Cutout, T.D.s.

"Now if you're talking about the 96-98 GT's you're hopeless in keeping up with an LS1, you'll need a supercharger or juice."

A 96-98GT is still a dog w/ a blower........put some PI heads, intake and a nice set of cams in there and then go LS1 hunting. Many early GT's w/ HS's and cams are running in the 12's.

The factory filter housing has a bottom section and a top section that clips down, the "lid". The factory lid is restrictive and also includes noise-control baffles to lessen incoming air noise to the throttle body. An aftermarket lid is smooth and doesn't include the baffles, which increases airflow. It's a cheap mod usually good for 10-15rwhp.

http://www.aksem.com/camaro_parts/camaro_intake_compenents/CAMARO_LS1_F-BODY_SLP_induction_lid.jpg

Thanks Ant, in your expierence does a lightly modded ls1 benefit from a tune?

Light mods like...

lid, lt's, gears, cutout, tires.

I want to check out deejay's z28 this week hopefully.

Yes, as you can adjust the timing a bit more aggressive not to mention do some things like rev limiter, CAGS disable, etc. A4 cars feel the tune even more due to the reductino of torque management, gears shifts, shift pressure, etc.

Well worth it. PM Jay 2001 TA on here, he had his tuned with some mild bolt-ons and saw a decent amount increase in rwhp/rwtq.

Good choice if you are looking to own some people ;)

If you are definitely getting that a few of us LS1 guys should go out one night and talk about your mods. I wish someone would have helped me early on. I could have saved money by not buying that hypertech programmer and flowmaster muffler :rolleyes:

Yeah, that'd be nice, I agree, I hate wasting money and have done it on so many previous cars.

I just called on one and the guy said he sold it yesterday!! Damn! It looked clean too. Oh well, the search continues...

I'm on ls1tech, craigslist and autotrader, any other ideas?

Yeah, that'd be nice, I agree, I hate wasting money and have done it on so many previous cars.

I just called on one and the guy said he sold it yesterday!! Damn! It looked clean too. Oh well, the search continues...

I'm on ls1tech, craigslist and autotrader, any other ideas?

ls1.com and cofba

What about a v6 camaro and turbo/supercharging it? What can those motors hold?

Reason I ask is I see 98-00 v6 camaros in great shape all day for $4grand, maybe they will take less. That leaves me with plenty of money to boost it.

Please GOD don't waste your money on that. Hell an LT1 F-body or vette can be had for a few more thousand than a V6. V6's fall apart so easily, trust me, my ex's ran like ass and she had a 99. Ls1tech will learn ya on everything LS1 related, pick up a GM High Tech Performance magazine, you'll pick up a lot of info not to mention who's running what and how it performs. Again there is the 5.0 market aswell. Bang for buck a 5.0 can be a great and cheap way to go. At the last ford swap meet at the fair grounds, I saw an Incon TT kit for just over $1K with turbos in GREAT shape. Not to mention body pieces, parts, cars etc... It's honestly up to you, your likes/dislikes, and most importantly your wallet.

I'm willing to travel up to 6hrs driving, one way. A day trip basically.

I'd prefer a Camaro, and m6, but will settle for anything, no vert's though. Really prefer no ttop either, but again,I'll settle. I really don't want to spend over $7500 on the car itself, so I have money for registration/ins/anything it needs right off the bat, etc.