4.6l Mustang GT vs. fbody LS1

Bam

One lid does not make more power than another, so just pick out the one that most appeals to you. A lid is a lid.

Actually there was a difference. Mostly a few RWHP and a few LBFT of torque. GMHTP did a shootout a while back on a 99 Z28, and kept the computer the same for every dyno run. BUT AGAIN not enough to notice. :D

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, my bad Brian, i knew you had a silver car, so I just figured it was yours.

Yeah, I guess I don't want to spend over $1000 off the bat, on longtubes, a lid, y-pipe, and either the skip shift elim or preferably a tune. What size exhaust is better, or the y-pipe i guess, 2.5" or 3"?

Anyone know the stock exhaust size?

Haha, my bad Brian, i knew you had a silver car, so I just figured it was yours.

Yeah, I guess I don't want to spend over $1000 off the bat, on longtubes, a lid, y-pipe, and either the skip shift elim or preferably a tune. What size exhaust is better, or the y-pipe i guess, 2.5" or 3"?

Anyone know the stock exhaust size?

3in is what you want for the Y-pipe back. Most LT's have 3in collectors, and have matching Y-pipes. http://www.texas-speed.com <<< They're priced great for everything.

Do the LTs and OFY, see how much you have left then if money allows do a new lid then tune, if not keep the lid it has since it is not stock and get the tune. Also I was told to do the plugs and wires with the LTs so you might want to look into that as well.

Do the LTs and OFY, see how much you have left then if money allows do a new lid then tune, if not keep the lid it has since it is not stock and get the tune. Also I was told to do the plugs and wires with the LTs so you might want to look into that as well.

What are your mods right now? Just wondering as I remember you just bought your z28 too, right?

What are your mods right now? Just wondering as I remember you just bought your z28 too, right?

haha I have the skip shift in the car waiting..... that is it. I'm looking at some LTs this week and a lid. I want to do LTs OFY plugs wires Lid Tune. Car payments and school FTL if you are trying to mod at the same time. If you want under 10000 you need to find a car for about 8 or so. Mine was 8999 and came out to a little under 10000 after everything.

Oh yeah, I feel you, same situation here. Luckily I've been saving my money for quite some time and will be paying cash for the car.

How many miles were on you car when you bought it, just for comparison for when I'm looking.

we'll have to meet up once I pick my ride up, hopefully in the next month.

Yea it had 76xxx and getting close to 80 now. Must be nice to pay cash. I wanted it now and the cars arn't getting any younger. Hope to have it paid off in less then 1.5 years. And yes we will have to meet up and compare when you pick one up. Keep us posted and G/L with the buy.

I'd love to find some used stuff and save some cash so I guess I'll be scouring the forums here soon.

I could've picked up one over a year ago and had a nice big loan on it, but I didn't want that for a weekend car/ toy so that's why its taken me so long, but a plus is the prices came down, lol!

Anyone know how wide the stock 16's are? Or how wide of a tire I can fit on them? :grin2:

To answer your initial question. it would take about 1500-2000 to get a 99-04 to consistantly beat a stock ls1 at the track. But you will still be making almost 50 hp less at the tires and you will get beat from a roll.

Yes it is cheaper to mod a mustang, it is easier to work on the mustang. the mustang has a better rearend from the factory. On the other hand, you will almost always may alot more power with the similar mods.

my *turd* 98 gt had basic bolt ons, stock manifolds, and about 1000 in the rearend and rear suspension and went 13.36@101.

Damn, 255's don't sound like much. :( E-tear.

Anthony, what is your exhaust setup? 1 3/4 Mac lt's, OFY, duals/cutout? Your car always has sounded nice, but then again that blower is sex too.

Hey Matt....

4 G-Force tires TA KDWS 245/45/ZR17 all weather

Slighty used (less than 10k miles) as the picture with the penny shows, $275 for all of them

G-Force pic 1

G-Force pic 2

G-Force pic 3

These tires usually sell for about $150 each

2 Goodyear Eagle F1 tires off of my 01WS6 275/40/ZR17 not all weather

Sale pending

They were on the car for less than 15k miles. No races, or burnouts. I took them off the second I purchased the car from an older gentleman in 2002.

Goodyear pic 1

Goodyear pic 2

Goodyear pic 3

$175 for the pair