4.6l Mustang GT vs. fbody LS1

Bam

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this is a left field question, and just a quick thought running through my head, but what does it take for an lt1 to run w/ an ls1? Or mid-high 12's?

Only reason I ask is because I just got a PM offering me a clean 96 z28 w/ 66k on it for a decent price, so I had to ask, is it worth it, or should I just hold out for an LS1.

Quick thoughts please....

Sweet, now just for Scott to find his new car and I think I'm golden!

List of first mods please...

Also, Scott was telling me about the weird exhaust setup on the ls1 cars and how there are very limited true dual setups.

Would it hurt power to do longtubes to a Y-cutout to a single exhaust? Like a 2.5" or 3"? Not sure what these cars like... I have no problem with a single exhaust if it doesn't hurt power and is easier/cheaper to do.

Secondly, what gears do people recommend?

Sweet, now just for Scott to find his new car and I think I'm golden!

List of first mods please...

Also, Scott was telling me about the weird exhaust setup on the ls1 cars and how there are very limited true dual setups.

Would it hurt power to do longtubes to a Y-cutout to a single exhaust? Like a 2.5" or 3"? Not sure what these cars like... I have no problem with a single exhaust if it doesn't hurt power and is easier/cheaper to do.

Secondly, what gears do people recommend?

Well, LT's to an Off road Y toa cat back is like I said the EASIEST bolt on way to go. Most long tubes run to a 3in collector, attach that to a 3in Off road Y, to a nice cat-back (SLP Loudmouth, GMMG, etc..) and you'll deffinately notice upwards of 25 RWHP. Most dual set ups are pretty much custom pieces, but can be done for roughly about the same cost. 3in X-pipe, mufflers, and someone that can weld is that ticket. It's all in really how easy you wanna go, true duals will flow a little bit better. As for the rear, 3.42's are pretty nice, even when you run a Head/Cam swap on em. I'd only go higher gears if you're wanting to swap in a 12bolt/9in rear.

Hmmm, 12bolt/9" rear is how much and can be found where? Are these rears weak or something? What power level do they usually go out?

I guess with the exhaust it doesn't really matter which route I go, I'm going to have a cutout no matter what, so if the duals flow a tad better, whooptie doo, i'll just open the cutout and be straight.

Scott, does your cutout seal 100%, its a manual I assume by when you said the price, no problem, I had one of those on my GTP.

Hmmm, 12bolt/9" rear is how much and can be found where? Are these rears weak or something? What power level do they usually go out?

I guess with the exhaust it doesn't really matter which route I go, I'm going to have a cutout no matter what, so if the duals flow a tad better, whooptie doo, i'll just open the cutout and be straight.

Scott, does your cutout seal 100%, its a manual I assume by when you said the price, no problem, I had one of those on my GTP.

Currie, strange, and moser are the big 3 bolt in rear end guys. They're usually in the $2K range, but I've seen a few up for grabs on LS1tech. The rear ends in all F-bodies are the big weak spot. EVENTUALLY it will go out, it's almost a garunteed thing. Upwards of 450RWHP and on sticky tires usually leads to the death of a stock 10 bolt in F-bodies. And yup my cut out seals, it's just too damn quiet without it. :D

What? The car physically won't it out of first under 2500rpms? Weird. You'd think the car would have enough low-end torque to be fine. Is there like a light on the dash or something?

stock 9" centers have there limit too. but upgrade to the larger pinion bearings and carrier bearings in it should hold about anything.

Yeah, that sounds like next winter's project if I pick up this z28. I've had the unfortunate luck of over building one part of the car and not paying attention to the rest, the results suck.

Guest Removed
The new Dana 60 for F-Bodies I hear is a great rear. Everything is a bit beefier than a 12 bolt and 9inch. But again you'll pay more $$$ for it. Deffinately pick up a GM High Tech performance mag, you'll see damn near everything new on the market in there. :thumbup:

true but with a dana 60 you cant change gears in 30 mins ;)

What? The car physically won't it out of first under 2500rpms? Weird. You'd think the car would have enough low-end torque to be fine. Is there like a light on the dash or something?

it won't let you shift into second, it makes you shift into 4th gear.

Also, what is the skip shift thing? How the hell does it work on a MANUAL transmission car?

Skip shift is terrible. They make a skip shift delete, I have one just waiting to put it on. From what I understand it is a very easy install I just have not found the time to do it yet. You are in the same range as I was. It took me a while to find one that was local but don't give up they will come. This site is great to find them also ls1tech and ls1.com since you are willing to drive so far, but I am sure you already know that.

Brian- If you guys do meet let me know I would like to be there. I have some ideas on mods but it's always good to talk someone who knows first hand.