Finally started on bike, have ????

wnaplay1647545503

Anyone have a large allen wrench set? Something like 18mm or 20mm. Something around that size?

I started making 1 bike out of the 2 wrecked bikes I recently acquired and now I have a few questions. The first bike is a 98 cbr 900 rr and the second is a 97 cbr 900 rr.

Question 1: should everything including the wiring be almost identical?

Question 2: the shock that is in the middle of the frame, is this under pressure

should I unbolt it? (will it fly off at me?)

Question 3: I have 2 swingarms, both have small nicks, 1 has a small bend

on one of the rails, should I swap to the one with no bends only

nicks?

I'm assuming you got a steal on both bikes to make this worth it right? Just curious, but I just bought a bike yesterday and I wouldn't mind stopping over and helping/checking it out. I'm trying to learn more about bikes.

Cool, do either run? Are you trying to finish the 97 or 98? What's bad about either one of them? Just the swingarm? Like I said, it'd be nice to stop out sometime in the next couple weeks and see the project, be glad to help if i could.

The 97 has cracked fairings and the motor torn apart(salvage title).

The 98 has trashed fairings, bent rear rim, trashed tank, supposedly good motor, trashed gauges, multiple this and that issues. (clean title). I am hoping it is all a matter of swapping this for that. I will have to do some re-wiring since some of the bikes wiring I am putting together got trashed as well. I would like to just swap out the complete harness but dont know if it will work. I hope to have it done here soon. Definetely before a couple weeks are up. I am getting the itch to ride.

Wow, sounds like you've got your hands full. Are you going to fix everything and make it a good clean bike or just get it running and not worry about looks? Did anything change from the 97/98's that make you think everything is not interchangeable?

Are wheels interchangeable between bikes? I just bought a 99 Honda and would like another wheel for a idea I've got.

Have you looked into the price of fairings? When I looked for a gixxer I considered, I was coming out around $800-$1000 buying used ones and getting them painted to match. Definitely not cheap.

So I take it you're keeping the 98 cause its clean title? Any idea on miles?

Post some pics, I'm interested, seems like a different project. good luck.

Unfortunately with the 98, there was a mixup sometime during title transfer and the miles were something like 160,000. I was told the motor was replaced 6000 miles ago. I will repair the fairings and repaint. I feel confident that I can make them look almost as good as new with some plastic weld and bondo and repaint them myself. I am not sure about the changes between years. I have been told both ways. Hopefully once done, it will look as good as 10 year old bike that was never wrecked. The gauge cluster on the 98 is wiped out, so I cant get a reading on the actual miles. I planeed on taking before and after pics of both bikes but forgot. Now their both torn down pretty good. I did find out that the shock isnt under pressure and unbolted without incident. I am now going to try and look up why the swingarm wont come out. Possibly I just need to hit it with a big enough mallet(sp?).

:eek: 160,000 miles on a bike, is that possible? lol Well I guess it'll never matter if you don't plan on selling the thing.

Sorry I can't be help with it, I just found out yesterday that bikes have adjustable suspension and the guy I'm buying my bike from explained how it all worked, pretty cool.

Do you have previous experience riding? I've NEVER been on a bike before, lol, so I've got a lot of practice and need to get more comfortable on one.

Are those bikes carb'd or fuel injected? Mine is carb'd but my buddies is fuel injected, other than the tuning pros', I didn't really see a difference in them. I mean I've gotta play the choke for 30 seconds or whatever, but big effin deal.

I think 2000-up was injected. I just read that a special tool is needed to take out the rest of the swingarm so its time to start calling around to see who has one. I grew up riding dirtbikes and quads. I have never owned a bike but have ridin several of my buddies bikes. I will mainly just drive it to and from work. This might be the stop for me working on the bike today and I will have to start my "honey-do-list".

haha, yeah, i remember those days, single again, its bitter sweet. well like I said, lemme get my temps this week and play around for a few days and I'd like to check them out in a few weeks, try wrenching on something different for a change.

I've got like 5 sets, definitely that big, i'll be around this week if you want to stop by and borrow it.

Do you know of any good motorcycle accessory websites? I just went to Iron Pony and Motorsports of Columbus and neither of them could find frame sliders for my new bike. I want to get some incase I have a spill, but don't know where else to look.

Matt

I've got like 5 sets, definitely that big, i'll be around this week if you want to stop by and borrow it.

Do you know of any good motorcycle accessory websites? I just went to Iron Pony and Motorsports of Columbus and neither of them could find frame sliders for my new bike. I want to get some incase I have a spill, but don't know where else to look.

Matt

http://www.motovationusa.com/VTR1000.html