"Fun" places to go within a 10hr drive?

Bam

Ok, I'm going on vacation with a girlfriend in 2 weeks. We want some place that has places to go and things to do, and is within a 10hr drive perferably.

I was thinking Chicago, NYC, Myrtle Beach, etc, what are some other good ideas for places to go spend a week at? We'd love a beach but I just don't think its in the cards right now.

thanks for any suggestions.

**Also, we'd be up for flying somewhere, (she really wants to go to San Francisco), if anyone knew of "cheap" airfares, like under $500 round trip for both of us.

Outer Banks, NC. Best beach IMO. Much more scenenic and historic than the rest of the popular beaches.

Other than that I'd have a hard time spending a week doing any one thing. I usually end up doing the beach for a couple of days and then going to the mountains to play around in streams doing whitewater and just exploring.

Evan

we were just in topsail beach, NC, which is just south of the outerbanks...i used to go to the outerbanks when i was a kid, all the time...it was nice to be back in the area...we were smack dab between wilmington and jacksonville, and about 20 min from camp lejune

for me and my g/f, i think her dad paid about 500$ round trip for the both of us, via US airways. we had to fly columbus > charlotte > jacksonville and wilmington > charlotte > columbus ...i know prime rental season just started, and rates will be a bit higher...the place we stayed was 7 br, 7.5 baths, and was 1600 or so for the week and the day after we left started prime season and it now rents for about 6k/wk...right on the beach

go on a gambling binge.... hit up Wheeling WV, gamble there for an afternoon, stay the night, head to Atlantic city, stay there a few nights, then head to NYC and head on back to CBUS

I spent the weekend in Chattanooga for memorial day, really nice city downtown. And if you hit it up during Riverbend festival from what I hear its awesome. 11 day festival, bunch of bands ranging from country to rock. We ate at a really nice restaurant early, walked around downtown a bit, then finally found a hole in the wall bar with 1$ drafts.... yup we ended the night there. Nice little town, but you could probably find a better tourist attraction within 10 hours. This was a 7 hour drive for me.

Chicago has a ton of stuff going on in the summer. Check on Taste of Chicago and other activities this time of year. Otherwise you can get some cheap plane tickets to Vegas, Orlando, D.C., NY, etc...from CMH... :cool:

I'll be in Chicago for the Taste... July 4th weekend!

no offense to most of the posters...but he's 21, i don't think he and his girl are gonna have a rootin'-tootin' good time in Chattanooga or the OBX...their not taking a baby with them, more like their looking at getting drunk making babies wherever they end up. those are all rpetty places, and nice to relax in, but don't offer enough fun...at least imho.

i'd say New York/Atlantic City....Myrtle Beach is still fun at that age, lots of drunk grads and college kids...Hilton Head can offer some fun with the right person...River Boats/Windsor are fun, but only for 1-2 days max...i dunno about flying, might have a hard time getting cheap tickets that close in advance.

for the most part, the beach is the only place i'd be content for a week long vacation, the rest of them i'd have to mix/match destinations or just spend a long weekend...i know my g/f and i are gonna take a long weekend and go to Windsor then hit up Cedar POint for a day on our way back.

don't go to boston in the summer. its a great city but you will fry in the sun and sautee in your own sweat from the humidity.

toronto is an 8 hour drive (thru detroit or buffalo) and is always spectacular fun. the entertainment district is great, they have amazing bars, and I like to think of it as a cleaner, slower paced version of new york city.

you can make it to vegas bunny ranch in 10hrs right????

we hit the sleeping bear dunes in MI this exact time last year. 7hr drive and is a blast(roadhead always makes for a blast..in the face). camping on the beach, fishing, kyacking, day hikes, Its one of the northern most points on the lower peninsula. a bunch of small towns with little breweries and shit like taht to do if it rains or you want to step back into civilization.

Guest neoncrazy101
Asheville North Carolina. its in the Blue Ridge mountians. i lived there for 2 years and its beautiful. oh and lots of fun roads as well.

Thanks for the idea's guys. A beach would be sweet, but mainly we just want to kick it, relax/sleep in, and have good night life. Of course we'd need things to do during the day so a cool town/somethings close by would be nice.

Is the canada side of Niagra Falls cool? Is it anything? Where does everyone go/what's a good city/area to visit in canada?

Guest NinetyFox
BTW I highly suggest Canada side of Falls, US is almost a waste of time. I had a great time there. For the money you should just go straight to Can. and forget about the US all together. Tons of stuff to do there and well worth the wait if you put in for your passport now.

Guest stupid hurts

the falls are decent, i live not far from them so its nothing to me, NC i love down there, please dont go to NYC, it sucks, take everyone in ohio, put them in a VW beetle and try to drive. thats NYC

just the newbies .02