yet another iPhone thread

Akula

When you go to att and get a cell phone it only works with att's network. When you unlock the phone it works with tmobile too, assuming you have a tmobile sim card.

for me I could take it to the UK and use my pay-as-you-go sim to make calls, but I wouldn't have to use the POS phone I have.

typically you call into their support and say you need to unlock your phone. They ask for your IMEI number (unique identifier for the phone) and then send you a code to type in to unlock it.

The iPhone doesn't allow for this type of unlocking via the interface, so a guy figured out how to do it in hardware.

I didn't read any of the articles yet. But, if it does in fact work, it's probably T-Mobile only. (Which the iPhone was already slated to work with over in Europe). I don't think it will work on any other carrier, even if it's "unlocked." You'd also probably lose Visual Voicemail.

Yeah I took out my post. I was unaware of this story.

The kid has a bright few ahead of him.

This kid is going to make history, and not just for this. You know he's going to figure out a lot of shit in the near future.

Its a GSM phone so it would only work on ATT and T-Mobile anyways as mentioned above.

edit: I see ATT and Apple going after him with the DMCA.

Actually, it will work with O2, Orange, Vodafone, <insert name of European/Asian provider here>

You could get one, unlock it and sell it for $300 more to a person in EMEA. Gotta remember there are more countries than just he US.

I go to the UK for like 15 weeks per year, I would love to have a sweet phone to use while I am there.

In the US, there are limited GSM offerings but GSM is the only transmission methodology in Europe.

So I could say put a nextel sim card in any unlocked phone and it would use the nextel network?

No, Next-Hell uses iDEN technology, which isn't compatible with GSM phones. The only ones that aren't iDEN are the hybrid phones (ic402/502/902), and those are on the PCS network. Blackberries are as good as it gets for us. :(