What to look for in a DSM?

thorne

I'm wanting to get a toy, It seems that the 4g63 can take some serious abuse. I was curious what to look for in a DSM, Since I'm mostly wanting this for a roll car whats the pricing / problems I should look for. I don't really want a modded one as I would prefer to build it myself.

What years should I look at (Body style does not matter to me)

What millage should I look for?

Price I should expect for a stock one.

Unless you plan on swapping the motor in a 2nd gen, just buy a first gen for the 6 bolt motor. Also, I think you want to get a 92 and up first gen, for the SLIGHTLY better transmission. That is just if my memory serves me correctly, if I am wrong I am sure someone will chime in and correct me. Honestly, you should shot JP(coltboostin) and PM. He will let you know everything to look for. And give you tips.

Jackson

I would say anything pre mid 93' before they started the 7 bolt, yeah some years have better rods, some have better tranny's and rears, but id just look for somthing stock in that year range. If anything dsm parts are a dime a dozen you can find anything local without any isses, if your wanting to upgrade ect.

Whatever you do, unless you know the person and how the car was taken care of,do not buy one all modded up. you can just look at a car and tell if it was taken care of , or slapped together by some broke dick.

The best motors like said were built before 4/15/92 I believe is the date, then they went to the 7 bolt. The 90 cars had the factory oil coolers and big rods though the trannies are virtually non-rebuildable in that year. In 93-94 the awd cars got the 4 bolt rear end which is the one to have for awd, though if your going for a roll car a fwd will weight almost 400lbs less and have less drivetrain loss.

Check for your typical shaft play as most 1st gens and some 2nd gens are old enough now the original turbos are dead or dying. Make sure the tranny is not grinding and when you push in the clutch you don't hear any noise from the tranny like an input shaft bearing(older cars more likely). Check the valve cover as they tend to crack a lot and are getting more expensive as they are harder to find(I have a clean hyundai one I'd sell ya super cheap). Other than that look for typical stuff as the 4g when taken care of can be a near bullet proof motor.

what about price, Yeah I really don't want a modded one and the stock turbo dieing wont matter, I'm going to slap a 50trim on it. I've already talked to jp a bit, He's the one who kinda was my leaning factor to the dsm. I've thought about a bunch of cars including getting rid of the wrx. I decided It just don't make sense to mod my daily.

Supra's and other toys were on the list but it seems a DSM is going to be the cheapest to find .

yeah but you have to understand it may be the cheapest to fix but it will be EXPENSIVE in the long run. Say you pick up a decent awd for 2500, bet on spending at least 2500 to get it and keep it in "reliable" somewhat factory settings (factory turbo, maybe some small mods like exhaust). Its not just a matter of spending 2500 on a car, then 1k in mods and done with it. I had my car for 2 years and I was constantly doing maintenance work on it so much so that i didnt even have time/money to spend on mods. If you dont have a garage to work on it, I wouldnt do it, but thats just me.

As for price you can find a beat up one for 500, hell you can even find a shell for cheaper than that. Awd's are more expensive than fwd's, 90's are the strongest blocks rods/pistons though all 4g63's are pretty stout engines. The best example of any DSM is the 92 6bolt engine/4bolt rear end. I personally think these are overrated, 3 bolt rearends have performed just as well as 4bolt. The best looking body is by far the 99. If I were you I'd go for a 91 fwd, depending if you want to dig or roll with dictate if you should get an awd or fwd.

Its getting harder and harder to find a dsm that isnt 'modded' somehow, your best bet is to find one that hasnt been modded alot and retains the factory 14b turbo. May I ask why you want to go with such a big turbo? in many cases a big 16g can be more than enough to get the expectations you want.

because I can get a 50trim for a helluva good price, Also I want a topend car .

I want a car I can open up at 80 and pull strong to 150+

Dig is fun, my daily will run 12's after the new turbo I just wanted a bigger faster toy. It's ether this or mod my bike, My wife don't want me to go nuts on the bike as she is affraid I will kill myself.

I do have a garage, I'm not dead set I'm just thinking right now as I will decide early early next year maybe sooner .

I'm not looking for a killer body on it. just a half way descent running motor.

1jz also would be secksy but blah. I can't find supras for under 3g

if you want to build a dsm roll car, just buy a fwd for cheap,ive seent hem go for under a grand. if you want to make power your going to need a built motor and to send your tranny out to tre, shep, dogbox to get built with strong parts anyways, so it doesnt really matter how it runs. just find one with no rust on the body or undercarriage

if you want to build a dsm roll car, just buy a fwd for cheap,ive seent hem go for under a grand. if you want to make power your going to need a built motor and to send your tranny out to tre, shep, dogbox to get built with strong parts anyways, so it doesnt really matter how it runs. just find one with no rust on the body or undercarriage

What all transmissions are offered for the FWD 4G63s? 5 or 6 speeds? Ratios? Any idea where I could find more info on them?

Any aftermarket 6 speeds offered? Shepard conversions or something similar?

You have to remember these cars were debuted in '89, most exotic's didnt even have 6speeds at the time.

Shep makes the strongest aftermarket transmission period, they are also customizable with different synchros and shift forks. I know an aftermarket tuner called IPT or IPS works on DSM Auto trannies and right before I got rid of my car they came out with an electornic 'tap' shift. They were still in the latter stages of R&D but the thing was suppose to be faster than any manual transmission while using aftermarket paddles on the steering column. Pretty badass for a DSM.

Thorne, just because you have a hookup no a cheap bigger turbo shouldnt mean you should be sold on the idea. I agree you'd need something bigger than a Big16g if you want the topend your looking for, but if your just basing your decision on price also factor in the fact that if you go with a 50 trim you need a front mount, bigger injectors/fuel pump (walbro 255), some kind of engine management perferably something more than a simple AFC and Pocketlogger, Ive heard DSMLink is the best but I never got that far. Id say if you can land a good deal on a shell or decent 1g fwd with a strong block and good compression you could make a roll car to do what your asking for under 3k as long as you dont have to open up the engine or the transmission and buy everything used. Dont get me wrong I think you shoudl totally go for it, just know what your getting yourself into b/c I didnt and dont want to see the same thing happen to you.

When I bought mine, I got a 92 TSi Front wheel drive, bone stock for 3350 after tax and title.

It had 115k or so on it.

If it is close to 120k, look at the timing belt, and if it's not changed, drop another 700 off the price of what they are asking. Finding a stock one is going to be hard as fuck.

When I bought mine, I got a 92 TSi Front wheel drive, bone stock for 3350 after tax and title.

It had 115k or so on it.

If it is close to 120k, look at the timing belt, and if it's not changed, drop another 700 off the price of what they are asking. Finding a stock one is going to be hard as fuck.

damn, was it mint for that price? like extra minty?

i paid $1200 for a bone stock 92 awd DSM. i spent another $800 on go fast parts and had a mid 12 second car. After i broke a valve in the first motor (i thought it popped) i picked up another motor for $400 that last about 4 months. I then sold the car with a blown motor for $950.

Basically, if you have the time and patience, you can find what you're looking for at the price you want. This can also be said about an MKIII Supra. A buddy of mine sold his 2 or 3 months ago as good as condition as mine if not better. 5speed and everythign worked flawlessly. Less than 4 grand. Of course, he still hates himself.