What to look for in a DSM?

thorne

hrm, the supra on a stock gearing i belive can go higher.

the question is why do you want to go faster? If you can't beat someone by 155mph the question isn't who's car is faster, it becomes who's car has a higher top-speed, which is stupid. Not only that but that car WILL NOT go 155mph on stock turbo/etc, due to air-resistance.

Didn't the Evo MR (or was it the Evo 9?) come with a 6 speed?

Yes but swapping an EVO 6speed into a DSM is impossible. Well... I shouldnt say that, ANYTHING is possible with enough money. Though the EVO and DSM share a 4g63 there alot about them that is different, hell the timing belt is on the opposite side of the block in an EVO, Im guessing the trans wouldnt exactly be a swap and bolt job.

Most Evo's have the 6 speed but some were offered with a 5 speed I belive that had better ratio's for the track. It is pretty much is impossible to put an Evo tranny in a dsm as said their on the opposite side of the engine.

Superhawk makes a good point, why need to go even 155 if you put 2 bus lengths on them by 120!! :D

A completely stock dsm should go high 150s low 160s but make sure you have decent tires. I've gone 130 at 4500 in 4th gear, with a 7 grand redline. (although most dsms quit making power around 5500 unless you have huge cams to feed it).

Get a 90 fwd, bolt some weisco pistons to the stock big rods, run clevites and arps and your good to go. While its apart make sure to replace the timing belt, water pump and all the basic stuff.

Maybe I'm biased since I have owned 2 90's but they do come with big rods, biggest stock cams, and the external oil cooler.

Dsmlink seems to be the best piggyback for the dsm's but you'll need an eprom ecu.

Also trannys like to take a shit, running syncomesh will help with the grinds but won't fix it, more like a band-aid.

Dsms only came in 5speed. Some awd's run evo rear ends though. Shep also offers double syncorded 2nd and 3rd. Longer 4th, longer 5th, pretty much anything you can imagine. I'd look at dogbox if your going for a stage 1 seeing as its several hundred cheaper for the same setup.

Pre 95 7 bolts show almost no signs of crankwalk.

7 bolts came in 92 1/2 I believe so if you go awd a 92 with a 6 bolt 4 bolt rear would be best.

89-92 3 bolts won't hold up to a 50 trim.

Got anymore questions just shoot me a PM.

11,868rpm

I've heard of some of them in the 10k range but damn.....Is Brent Rau or Shep revving that high?? Or are you simply being sarcastic? I've read about plent of guys running to 9k all the time.

For the trannies.....they simply can't seem to take fast abusive shifting, that's what seems to destroy most of them unless you have a Shep trans or something. Run synchromesh or some redline and go easy on the shifting and your tranny will last.

As for who said the dsm's only come in 5 speed that is wonrg, they made auto's in all models including the turbo's, their just rare.

The 90 motor is the best choice for stock rods, oil cooler like mentioned but stay away from the 90 trannies.

I've heard of some of them in the 10k range but damn.....Is Brent Rau or Shep revving that high?? Or are you simply being sarcastic? I've read about plent of guys running to 9k all the time.

For the trannies.....they simply can't seem to take fast abusive shifting, that's what seems to destroy most of them unless you have a Shep trans or something. Run synchromesh or some redline and go easy on the shifting and your tranny will last.

As for who said the dsm's only come in 5 speed that is wonrg, they made auto's in all models including the turbo's, their just rare.

The 90 motor is the best choice for stock rods, oil cooler like mentioned but stay away from the 90 trannies.

I was being partially sarcastic but the fastest DSMs out there are shifting the cars at over 11k in some gears. Realisticly speaking though, the cars can shift well at 9-9500 no problem with the right tranny work.

The guy that posted the comment about DSMs only coming in 5 speeds was comapring them to EVOs (I think) where he meant that EVO MRs come in a 6 speed by comparison. The 6 speed MRs suck at a dragstrip however.

+1 on the syncomesh, best stuff ive ever used in my dsm

Maybe I missed something, but since when is a 90 fwd tranny different then a 91+ besides for the shift linkage?

The 90 and 91 awd transfer cases have different spline axles but seeing as how he will most likely go fwd who cares?

Either way with a 50 trim he will most likely have it rebuilt since stock syncos won't hold over 400.

Stock Gear Ratios

MT AT

1st: 3.083 2.846

2nd: 1.684 1.581

3rd: 1.115 1.000

4th: 0.833 0.686

5th: 0.666

Reverse: 3.166 2.176

Transfer Gear: 1.090

Final Drive Gear: 3.866 3.562

Also shep, tre and others offer 10% longer 5th (evo 8 gear I believe)

the question is why do you want to go faster? If you can't beat someone by 155mph the question isn't who's car is faster, it becomes who's car has a higher top-speed, which is stupid. Not only that but that car WILL NOT go 155mph on stock turbo/etc, due to air-resistance.

ummm, your right I'm going to expect that.... No I'm wanting a roll car that can tag 160+ If so I desire. The turbo sizes i'm looking at for both cars is pretty large.

I'm still really on the fence but it looks like these are the 2 its coming down to.

Maybe I missed something, but since when is a 90 fwd tranny different then a 91+ besides for the shift linkage?

The 90 and 91 awd transfer cases have different spline axles but seeing as how he will most likely go fwd who cares?

Either way with a 50 trim he will most likely have it rebuilt since stock syncos won't hold over 400.

Stock Gear Ratios

MT AT

I talked to Shep and the dealer about this when I looked at getting my tranny rebuilt in my old turbo Laser. Surprisingly a lot is quite a bit different between 90-91 trannies and Mitsu had quit making some of the parts needed to rebuild the 90 trannies. Shep told me to get a 93 or up tranny.

Stock Gear Ratios

MT AT

it will hold I ran a 50 trim forever on stock 7bolt engine and tranny for over 80k with no issues, and on stock cam it does make power over 5500. but in time he will need a tranny. just get a shep tranny and be done with it , if your going dsm.

ya you can get a shep tranny fairly cheap but make sure you're prepared to buy several more of them. I went through 4 from him in a two year period. Finally sold the car after being tired of tranny issues no matter how much I spent, they just wouldn't go away.

Pete, they were never tranny issues per say just clutch disengagement issues, when the clutch was working properly the tranny shifted well, third gear was a bit dirty but it would still slide in if you took your time. Oh and if you want the car back I will sell it to you dirt cheap. I just no longer have the time or interest to dedicate to it anymore.