Electricians....Need Your Help!

Sully

I just moved into an older house. My dryer's electric cord has 4 prongs, but the adapter on the wall is a 3 prong style. What should I do? Can I pick up an adapter at Lowe's/Home Depot? Can I just replace the outlet? Do I have to rerun new wire from the breaker box? I'm pretty good with electric, but this is a new one on me. Please help!!

Thanks!

Yeah you just need a new plug. I am pretty sure the difference between a 3 and 4 prong is just extra ground wires.

Sort of... NEMA 6 (240V three prong) is two hots and a ground, NEMA 14 (240/120V four prong) is two hots, a neutral, and a ground. N and G are typically connected to each other at the breaker panel. Older houses use the '6' connector, and if the device required 120V power for something, would take one of the hots and use the ground as the return. Modern electric code frowns on that sort of thing (ground isn't supposed to have any energy on it unless there's a problem), so that's the reason behind the shift to '14' connectors instead.