purchasing a bike with no title, thoughts please...

Jonan1647545505

there is a pretty good deal on ebay, 84 shadow 700, bike looks great in the pictures, 28k miles, from CA. guy doesnt have a title, not sure if he ever had it. heres the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310020882527&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

suggestions, thoughts, ideas. auction ends tuesday the 12th.

i emailed him for his phone number so i could come check it out, he said hes been burned in the past, so no number, but he said if i wanted to come up and make an offer i was more than welcome. and his reserve is $650

guy said it was burried in his garage and doesnt want to waste his time, which is why he said he would set up a time to meet if i would offer him some money..

my real question is if i can get it titled in ohio with jsut a bill of sale, how do i find out if its stolen, what else should i worry about??

having no title usually is shady, get the vin and call the police and ask them to run it, or get online with bmv and do a vin/title search and find out the last owner that it was titled to, it will aleast give you a run down on who use to own it. I went through the same shit a few years back on a 240sx I bought, guy told me he bought the car from a lady, and never put the title in his name,I was just going to use the car as a parts car, so he figured that I would never need the title or look into getting it. I kinda knew the guy so I trusted him on the things he told me, a few months go buy and I get the car running because the things wrong with it were very minor, and wanted to get the title and get insurance on it, I call around trying to get a lost title with no luck, I went on the ohio bmv thing online and found a place where you could list the vin number of cars and it tells you the past owners , dates, and milage ect. I come to find out the cars last owner was in 1998 and it had 40k less miles then when I picked it up. Anyways now im really thinking somthing is up, I decide to call the police and have them run the vin and that way tey can clear the things up, come to find out the car was stolen our of marion ohio, they take the car back after I put the money into it getting it running ect. Im not sure if they ever caught the guy but I was pissed , either way I learned my lesson on buying anything with out a title.

Sounds like ur gonna get "burned" I would at least wanna talk to a person before sending money if it has no title IMHO...

+1 stay away from that , its only going to be a bigheadache. Either way I did not read the post on ebay, did it list why he does not have the title for the bike? is he the last owner of the bike? or does he not know the history of the bike, If he can prove that he is the last owner of the bike, just with a lost title then id maybe talk things out with him.

• 2 weeks later...
4 or 5 years ago I sold a Honda Rebel 250 to a guy in California and he didn't even care about getting the Ohio title. Said he didn't need it to tag it in California. Not sure if that's true or not but it might explain why the guy doesn't give a shit about finding the title to the bike he's selling.