So, how did CR come to be?

nurkvinny

So, here we are. Several thousand people who log in every day and read through a couple hundred new posts submitted from fellow car guys or gals. Sometimes drama, sometimes sad news, sometimes some new NWS pics.

What sequence of events happened in 2001 that led to this small corner of the Intraweb being created? I think a lot of people would be interested in knowing. Was beer involved? Was money involved? Was there a simple lack of car sites in Ohio?

Do tell. ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard it started with Columbus DSM, which grew to include, obviously, non-DSM's. After so many member's were non DSM owner's the power's that be started talking. So whoever didnt have a DSM wanted a forum and started CR.

This is just the story I heard through the grapevine, i have no clue if its even remotely true.

I heard it started with Columbus DSM, which grew to include, obviously, non-DSM's. After so many member's were non DSM owner's the power's that be started talking. So whoever didnt have a DSM wanted a forum and started CR.

This is just the story I heard through the grapevine, i have no clue if its even remotely true.

I've heard the same

Partially. We used to race everyweekend (like, actually race :eek: ) with those guys. Anthony and ColDSM's founding father kicked the idea around of a board that included everyone and eventually Anthony created CR.

Hell, when it was first started there were like 20 members and Mr. Forkey had his own section. I didnt join immediatley because I thought it was stupid...

-Marc

Hrm, so you want the story?

Back in 2000, I was part of the North Florida F-Body Association, and there was a huge scene involving different aspects of vehicles. So another "club" was started call Jax Racing.

I moved back here and started COFBA, and we used to go out as a club on the weekends. With that, we started hanging out with guys from Columbus DSM, which back in the day was full of fast cars and not the ricers that makes it up today.

As a group, we used to go out and have good times on the weekends, so I thought to myself we needed a place where we could just come together as a group instead of trolling each other's boards. CR was created for just that purpose, for about 30 guys to bullshit on the internet.

Originally, it was members of COFBA and CDSM, with some others intermixed. I remember some of the starting members that were out on the weekends were:

Me

Marc (MadMalibu)

Rick (Grease Monkey)

Kenny

Jeff Yetzer

Howard (Hwilli)

Jono

Rice Robb

Berto

Scotty Moehl

Jared (had a DSM)

Jeff Goldsberry (BadAssBlackBuick)

Jeff (had a DSM)

Tommy Scott

Joe Campbell

Nick Patlovich of T-Type fame

Ricky Bullock

Brett Burton

A whole slew of COFBA guys that don't come around anymore

So forth. It was a lot more laid back then.

I'll add my initial involvement.

A heavy-set PC tech at my company left a COFBA business card under the wiper of a good friend's 01 TA. Then, 1 day this Tech asked me, "so, you have anything fast?"

I said "kinda".

That was 5 years ago, hard as it is to believe. My first post was, "you guys are fucked in the head, I'll fit in here just fine!"

It's been fun seeing the transformation, :)

Sean, I tried to think of everyone and knew I was missing a good portion. I gave up thinking about it :)

I'm just f'n with you. I could be part of the COFBA group that doesn't come around anymore. Well, I'm on the board, just not out in real life... ;)

Shame on you for forgetting me... :p

The first real street race I was ever a part of was ridng shotgun in anthonys Z28 going out to west broad. You pulled up next to us at a light and we raced and you won. Next light, Anthony reached back and opened the bottle. The race was a bit better. ;)

Anyone remember Supra Marks first night out with CR? He was back fresh from California, hot off the set of filming the original Fast and the Furious and we were out at the cement mixing plant. He loaded his car up with 4 people and raced Jono's stoned goat. And forgot to turn off his traction control!!

Good times.

-Marc

haha CR's early days were kinda sad, just a couple dozen members, seemed like there was a new thread like every 2 days and it was usually pointless...sure didn't think it would grow into what it is today.

I've only been here a couple years (or just about), but this thread has simply reminded me of the good ol days of street racing. Long before the Fast and teh Furious', the unrelenting stare of the lawman, and the endless rice. :nono:

Originally, it was members of COFBA and CDSM, with some others intermixed. I remember some of the starting members that were out on the weekends were:

Me

Marc (MadMalibu)

Rick (Grease Monkey)

Kenny

Jeff Yetzer

Howard (Hwilli)

Jono

Rice Robb

Berto

Scotty Moehl

Jared (had a DSM)

Jeff Goldsberry (BadAssBlackBuick)

Jeff (had a DSM)

Tommy Scott

Joe Campbell

Nick Patlovich of T-Type fame

Ricky Bullock

Brett Burton

A whole slew of COFBA guys that don't come around anymore

*cough*

Really? Was that necessary? When was the last time you attended one of our meets to assess our demographic?

About a year ago, where there were no familiar faces and all the kids had this shitty attitude towards anything non-DSM. 90% of the cars were stock or close to and well equipped with the regular ricer mods.