If you were 19...

Rally Pat

The deal is this, you need to look at your monthly income and decide whether or not the car payment is going to effect other areas of your life. If the answer is no, go for it, if the answer is yes, you may need to think about what's more important and prioritize from there. :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it. If you have to take time off work to study for finals, or you get sick u will be running around worried and stuff. It really isn't worth it.

I had a beater and my RX. all paid for straight up.

I wouldn't do it either. I sometimes wonder if even having a nice car and going to school is a good decision. Although my grades don't really suffer, I never get what I want to done w/ the car, and my breaks always go to working.

If I didn't have a chance to get my car for the sweet deal that I did, I would be going the beater only/saving money route for sure.....

I can't believe some of the responses in here and honestly looking at the ages listed, I'm pretty surprised....

How about buy a cheap car that you can pay off in 1-2 years (or LESS) to BUILD CREDIT. If you are 19 and have no credit card or any other form of credit history, you're only hurting yourself buy waiting to make a purchase. Buy something very cheap that will get you around and you can easily afford payments on. Even if you have $3-10k in the bank, just get a small note with direct payment and don't even worry about it. You will be glad you did in 5-years when you are done with school and shopping for your dream car or whatever you want next....

Just don't plan on spending $20-50k+ on a new car while in college and you'll be fine.

I can't believe some of the responses in here and honestly looking at the ages listed, I'm pretty surprised....

How about buy a cheap car that you can pay off in 1-2 years (or LESS) to BUILD CREDIT. If you are 19 and have no credit card or any other form of credit history, you're only hurting yourself buy waiting to make a purchase. Buy something very cheap that will get you around and you can easily afford payments on. Even if you have $3-10k in the bank, just get a small note with direct payment and don't even worry about it. You will be glad you did in 5-years when you are done with school and shopping for your dream car or whatever you want next....

Just don't plan on spending $20-50k+ on a new car while in college and you'll be fine.

Page 1 is your friend.....

I have credit. Not a lot of it, but what I do have is good. In addition, I am looking at some pretty cheap cars right now.

Reading the first line of my post is your friend.....but obviously a lot of people still just don't get it. The fact that a majority of the people are telling you "Don't do it, is just wrong and will hurt you down the road."

Sounds like you've got it figured out though. Good luck with your purchase....

I havent figured anything out yet, hence why I am walking to work.

Wasn't able to get a loan from the bank on my own, they said I had good credit but not enough history, just as I predicted would happen.

I just have to wait on the guy that bought the Mustang to pick it up, and I will start shopping with what I get out of that.

What sucks about this approach:

A) 4-19-08 is rapidly approaching

B) Talk about narrowing the selection

What is good about this:

A)No loan

B)No payments

C)Chance to save

Any decent credit union should give you a loan, you will just suffer with a higher interest rate (9-15%+). Keep shopping around and you should be able to find something. I was able to get $11k when I was 18 with zero history, virtually no credit, and no cosigner. The kicker was my first loan was 11% interest... :(

P.S....buy a cheap moped or something just to ride around local. At least you aren't walking unless you prefer a bicycle.

After that first loan, I have bought over a dozen new cars and bikes in the last 10-years with zero issues (low interest and perfect credit score)... :cool:

Answer to the original question... Join the National Guard, be a full-time student, make enough money in two days to pay for a really nice car and insurance, still work full-time, and definitely buy the car. Ask me how

I say buy it and let the tax $'s pay for it.

-Erik

Answer to the original question... Join the National Guard, be a full-time student, make enough money in two days to pay for a really nice car and insurance, still work full-time, and definitely buy the car. Ask me how

I say buy it and let the tax $'s pay for it.

-Erik

And never finish school because you'll be doing 3 tours overseas....:(

damn you unloaded that mustang quick..... who's getting it now? I'm only asking becuase I'd like to find out how much power it ends up making

I stick mostly to cash cars I've had a payment a couple times and its just not worth it

money all tied up in something that continuosly loses value if you want a payment buy a condo or a house

damn you unloaded that mustang quick..... who's getting it now? I'm only asking becuase I'd like to find out how much power it ends up making

I stick mostly to cash cars I've had a payment a couple times and its just not worth it

money all tied up in something that continuosly loses value if you want a payment buy a condo or a house

I unloaded the Mustang because I want to autocross and track day cars. For that to be a practical reality in the Foxbody, I would have had to do so much work and throw so much money at the handling that I would have come out in the red.

The guy who is getting it is actually a customer of Northend Wrench. He had an NA Carb'd 2.3 Dune buggy using a VW transaxle adapter (forget which company, it wasn't Esslinger's), and he sold it. He now wants to build another one, but instead use a 2.3 Turbo.

I am in the market for another high rev NA car or a quick spooling turbo car.

I am not looking for any "Projects" at the moment, I just want a reliable DD/autocrosser.

I have my eye on some 944's.