Starting to ride soon. Advice?

Radio Flyer1647545514

I've read up on some of the other articles about taking the Motorcycle Safety Classes and that is something that I planned on doing already. The main reasons I plan on riding are because it is something I think I would enjoy and with me having to get to Newark for college classes next year I could save some money on gas.

My main question would be what would be some good bikes to look at to start riding on. I'm more interested in sport bikes but nothing to crazy for my first one. What types to look at and where to look for them?

The R6 is too much bike for a 17 year old beginner. Find a $2000-2500 late 90's 600 Ninja or Katana that you won't cry about the first time that you drop it - and you will drop it. You can ride it, lay on the mileage, and still sell it for what you have in it when you are done with it.

After a year (at least), then go look for a nicer 600 or 750.

And I agree with the earlier post... naked bikes are usually great bikes that you can find good deals on.

The R6 is too much bike for a 17 year old beginner. Find a $2000-2500 late 90's 600 Ninja or Katana that you won't cry about the first time that you drop it - and you will drop it. You can ride it, lay on the mileage, and still sell it for what you have in it when you are done with it.

After a year (at least), then go look for a nicer 600 or 750.

And I agree with the earlier post... naked bikes are usually great bikes that you can find good deals on.

True story. Find a SV650.

Yeah, I'm not looking to be flying on a bike. I'm really doing this to save money on gas with my drives out to college classes during the fall and spring quairters. It's something I've been looking into to do on the nice days as well so something that will last me and not have to much power is what I'm looking for. I figure my spending limit is going to be 2500 and I'm going to be purchasing this July I hope.

Just asking questions now so I can familiarize myself with it all before hand.

Anyone know anything about the Safety Class being free if you are under 18?

I believe the safety class fee may be waived if under 18 due to it being a requirement to get an endorcement. Even if it wasn't free I'd say do it, you won't regret it. At this point though you're going to have to do a walk in and hope you win the raffle.

Lets see, I signed my girlfriend up for it, and I did that online 5 days after the registration opened and it was booked up until one week in July and later august. It books fast.

When I originally took it I did a walk in and got lucky and got pulled for the raffle. One of the other walk ins mentioned he was on his 6th walk in and still hadn't gotten picked. He was none too happy that I got picked over him.

I know when I took my class, there was a guy in there that was 17 and he had to pay.

I would just go sit in and see if i spot opens. I did this last fall. The first time I didnt make it in, but my girlfriend did.

The next week I went, only 1/3 the registered people showed up and everyone hoping to get a spot was able.

to straight up say that a 600 is too big for a noob is wrong. it all depends on what kind of person he is. If he's responsible, he can handle it.

true, i learned on a cbr 1000rr..... but i wasnt stupid when i was on it either.

My first bike was/is a 2005 CBR600RR . I took the course before buying. Just don't ride over your head!!

About the course is is free for under 18

Registration fee

• If 18 years old or older, there is a $25 non-refundable registration fee.
  • If you are under 18 years of age, the course is free.
  • You must be at least 15-1/2 years old to take the course.
  • A parent or guardian must sign a liability waiver before the first riding session.
  • Passing the course is mandatory in order to obtain a motorcycle endorsement on your license.

But you still have to take the on-cycle DMV test

The following is required to pass the course:

• 100% attendance in both classroom and riding sessions
  • 96% or better on a written knowledge test (mulitple choice, 50 questions - all questions are covered in the student workbook or the classroom movies)
  • 20 or fewer points deducted on the Riding Skill Evaluation at the end of the course. You will be evaluated on the riding skills you have been practicing during the course and are necessary to reduce the risk of riding a motorcycle. The Riding Skill Evaluation is similar to the On-Cycle Endorsement Test given by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
  • No errant behavior -- this is a safety course!
  • If you are 18 years of age or older, you do not need to pass this course to take the On-Cycle Endorsement Test given by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and get your motorcycle endorsement on your license.

If you are under 18 years of age you do need to pass this course in order to take the On-Cycle Endorsement Test given by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles or receive the skill test waiver (under certain conditions) to get a motorcycle endorsement on your license.

Here is the site for more information.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/brc.htm

My first bike was/is a 2005 CBR600RR . I took the course before buying. Just don't ride over your head!!

I am going to try no to sound like a killjoy with this statement, but "Just don't ride over your head" is a easier said than done, as often people don't know what is over their head, and teenage/college aged men tend to be run by their penis and hormones enough that they will knowingly push beyond their limit to try to impress someone, especially if said someone has a pair of boobs.

I am going to try no to sound like a killjoy with this statement, but "Just don't ride over your head" is a easier said than done, as often people don't know what is over their head, and teenage/college aged men tend to be run by their penis and hormones enough that they will knowingly push beyond their limit to try to impress someone, especially if said someone has a pair of boobs.

Very true...