medical info- do you carry it

bigbluebird

with all the accidents we had a while back it got me thinking that i should start to carry some basic medical info on me when i ride.

you know blood type, allergies, age, name.

does anyone carry this and if so where do you put it.

i have seen a couple place that sell tags that go on the helmet strap, on lanyards and on the bike directly.

i don't know about caring it on the bike because i might end up one place and the bike somewhere else in a crash and they might not find it in a pocket.

any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

i was thinking of writing it on the helmet or even a tattoo (not really but it is a thought)

No, but I did sign up for that thing that the state set up that lets you register emergency contact info and stuff for use if you get in an accident and are unable to give it yourself. Or at least I'm pretty sure that's what it did...I registered a while ago and can't remember entirely :p

or even a tattoo (not really but it is a thought)

Hmm, I like that idea. I don't think collar bone would be soo bad. I see Yota's point but if you ended up with a scar on it you could just get another one on the other side. But maybe moving it lower on your pec would be better.

ok then lets start a list of places not to get it tattooed

collarbone (it breaks first)

forehead (employment reasons)

butt (i really don't want to know how they find it there in an emergency)

neck (employment reasons again)

anyplace else

I would say anywhere on the back side of your body is not a good place. I would stick to chest area.

I have a tag on my helmet, a waterproofed paper of info inside my helmet liner and wear a 2 mb jump drive on a chain around my neck on long trips.

Drive has a Word document in it with all of my contact info on it.

Meat tag.

It's a tattoo a lot of my fellow Marines used to get. It's on the side of your chest under your arm. Parallel with your nipple. They would get their name, blood type SSN and any allergies they may have. Basically a dog tag. But it's a really tender spot to tatter on.

with all the accidents we had a while back it got me thinking that i should start to carry some basic medical info on me when i ride.

you know blood type, allergies, age, name.

does anyone carry this and if so where do you put it.

i have seen a couple place that sell tags that go on the helmet strap, on lanyards and on the bike directly.

i don't know about caring it on the bike because i might end up one place and the bike somewhere else in a crash and they might not find it in a pocket.

any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

i was thinking of writing it on the helmet or even a tattoo (not really but it is a thought)

Well if you're involved in a trauma and you need emergent blood you're in trouble already b/c more than likely you're ready to arrest. Less than 3% of trauma arrests make it and of those that do the quality of life is usually not very good. But they can pump in some O neg into you without having any reactions during a trauma. Any other situation they will have time to type and cross match you. If you have allergies that would be ideal if you're that concerned....especially if you've had a severe reaction before to a particular drug. Age....doesn't matter they will guestimate...hehe. Don't u ride with your wallet on you? I always have my driver license in the pocket of my leathers. That way I can be identified if I am not able to speak when they cut my leathers off of me. Any way that was probably more information than you wanted but just thought I'd let u know. I used to work at a level one trauma center.....;)

Well if you're involved in a trauma and you need emergent blood you're in trouble already b/c more than likely you're ready to arrest. Less than 3% of trauma arrests make it and of those that do the quality of life is usually not very good.

thanks for being the bearer of happy news :(

I was thinking the same thing as PrincessPratt, don't you have a wallet? I would never get my social tatted on my body, what if someone reads it and steals your identity? Plus I feel that tattoos should be more personal than an identification purpose.

i do have my wallet on me but there are times on long trips where i stash it in the tank bag, and i figure if i come off the bike so might the tank bag. or if i am wearing pants without pockets it goes in the jacket.

what i am concerned about is say the wallet is separated from me. i don't know if it was here but i remember the story about the guy who crashed his bike and while waiting for the medic to arrive someone stole his bike.

the way i see it is that i am sure there is someone out there who will see me on the side of the road and go easy money take the wallet and leave.

my ultimate concern is not so much for medical reasons though that does play a part. it is my concern that if something does happens if there is a phone number on a tag that says dad some person might call it and let them know.

i choose to ride a bike and i know the risks, and bad shit happens. i just want to take every step i can to minimize those risks and alleviate the concerns of those who care for me.

that is why i liked the dog tag idea.

light, tends to stay on you, and easily changed or upgraded if a phone number changes.

i mean 30 bucks for a laser etched tag is nothing if it helps even the smallest amount.

i probably wont do the tat, but i personally like the idea of a functional tattoo.

Edited by bigbluebird

i would say the dog tag is a good idea with a contact for emergency number. in an accident or emergency room setting medical info is only needed if you have a severe allergy(like pratt said). your emergency contact should be able to give medical info if you are unable.