What to pay for a photographer and DJ

Nitrousbird

These are the two things we haven't really lined up yet for our wedding in Niagara.

What should a decent photographer run? Figuring 4 hours of service, pics at the Chapel, location across from the reception, and the reception. Not including the cost of prints.

We are seeing a WIDE variety in cost. Quality is important, but where is it smart to draw the line on labor. I mean $1500 for four hours for one guy to take pics and provide them on disc seems a bit excessive.

Same deal for a DJ...what do those guys normally run for a standard wedding reception. We will be fairly specific about the music (no country, no hip-hop/R&B/rap crap). Just want to make sure we get a price that's in the correct ballpark.

These are the two things we haven't really lined up yet for our wedding in Niagara.

What should a decent photographer run? Figuring 4 hours of service, pics at the Chapel, location across from the reception, and the reception. Not including the cost of prints.

We are seeing a WIDE variety in cost. Quality is important, but where is it smart to draw the line on labor. I mean $1500 for four hours for one guy to take pics and provide them on disc seems a bit excessive.

Same deal for a DJ...what do those guys normally run for a standard wedding reception. We will be fairly specific about the music (no country, no hip-hop/R&B/rap crap). Just want to make sure we get a price that's in the correct ballpark.

For a Dj you will find a "WIDE variety in cost" as well. You get what you pay for. You want to be sure they have back-up equipment, are insured, etc etc. Also, alot of times when you first meet with someone to talk to about your wedding... they are NOT the person who will be dj'n your wedding. Most bigger operations have several dj's on the payroll. If it matters to you, make sure you ask who personally will be doing it. You should be able to get references also. Another thing when you say "no country, no hip-hop/R&B/rap"... that will most likely shorten the length and liveliness of your reception. You may want to think of just asking it to be kept at a minimum and/or later in the night. How long in advance are you booking your dj? Most good dj companies are booked anywhere from a year to 2 years in advance. You can easily drop 1500.oo on a good quality dj. Heck I know some that are double that. Like I said though you do get what you pay for. Oh and most good reputable companies will have a portfolio of previous jobs they have done. Can be a good idea to ask for that and take a look. Shop around too. The dj runs everything after you leave the church/ arrive at the hall. You want to be sure you get the right one. A bad dj can ruin a event!

any other questions just hollar.

EDIT: oh yea depending on how in-depth you want to get you can register over here http://www.djchat.com and post that you are looking for a dj and the area. There are some good ones over there.

We are paying $1500 for a photographer and our DJ is rolled into the caterer but I think his cost alone is around $1500 as well. That seemed about average for a wedding the size of ours (400 invited).

Joe, I cant stress this enough. MAKE SURE YOU OWN YOUR PICTURES, when all is said and done. You may have a slight charge for it, but make sure they are yours. I realize the "artist" wants to own his work, but its ridiculous to let someone own your wedding pictures.

That being said, with photographers you will get what you pay for. Ours cost 1500 for a sunday, and we had beautiful pictures, a talented photographer, and got 2 parent albums and full album for us. You need to knwo what types of photography you want to help make these decisions.

There is the Traditional one, where Everything is posed, potrait like

http://www.laphotopro.com/images-index/fashion-wedding-traditional-hollywood.jpg

or Photojournalist style (my preference)where its more natural, emotional pictures

http://bp.unix-fu.org/media/12-14-07/nicole_caldwell_photography_wedding_surf_and_sand_resort_molly_134.jpg

There will be price differences between the styles, due to it usually being different photographers.

For me the photography was the most important part of the wedding aside fromt eh actual wedding so i was willing to splurge on it. Decide on a budget first, THEN find the photographer.

Well, since I just got married last week, I'll throw my two cents in. We paid 950 for a dj for 5 hours. Did an excellent job at keeping everything moving and the wedding upbeat. The photographer we used, Anthony Prince, was awesome, there 2 hours in advance with my wife, taking pictures all the way till 1 am. He cost us 900. Seemed like a lot, but money doesnt seem to matter when you see it all come together.