What Car should i buy? help!!!

Diamonds

I've been C-Level client facing for many, many years and I'd say:

1. Get something reliable

2. Get something that seats more than just two

3. Acura and Infinity are good choices as is a used BMW or like.

4. Ditch the Supra. Completely wrong choices from both a customer and company standpoint. Same with the Vette.

If you're not traveling for work in the thing, how many miles per year are you planning on putting on the thing? Co. giving you a gas card or is that on you? Who pays the maintenance.

Don't rule out leasing as being a better move as you can buy miles ahead of time cheap. There are no limiting factors for leasing....that's a misunderstanding of many. Keep in mind, cars depreciate the same no matter how you pay for them.

If you can find a 335 that's $400mo check for fish under the seat.

drive those cars then drive the vette, then tell me which one puts a smile on your face everytime you get in it. :)

hell mine puts a smile on my face everytime i walk out in the garage.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

completely agree...my GXP actually fits the bill perfectly....as did my modded 97 and 99 GTP's when I was calling local accounts. The IT Mgr at Bob Evans back in 97 was a GTP guy and we raced together. An IT Director at St. Anns had a black GTP that I eventually showed him how to modify :)

and.....the GXP is for sale if he's interested ;)

Keep in mind my post....it's not about his likes and smiles....it's business.

He could even pick up a fairly low mile Marauder for $15-$22k. There's a nice one on yahoo autos with only 17k on the ODO for $22k. Cool modifiable car with plenty of room. Sleeper factor and can be made to match his personality.

drive those cars then drive the vette, then tell me which one puts a smile on your face everytime you get in it. :)

$400mo. isn't much at all both from a buying power standpoint or a co. car allowance. In your case, the company is offering it to help off-set your use of a vehicle, but not necessarily expecting you to spend only $400mo.

I've been in sales/sales management calling C-Level clients facing for many, many years including the medical market and I'd say:

1. Get something reliable. All parties will expect that.

2. Get something that seats more than just two.

3. Acura and Infinity are good choices as is a used BMW or like. Parallel but don't snub the customer. They don't care what kind of car you drive. None of them do. They may appreciate it, envy it or like it, but your car will bring zero to the table but it can hurt you. Believe me or not, it's true. Used Audi may be a good choice too. A4 with mods gives you a good ride, power, style and fit for these customers. Pricing isn't far off either.

4. Ditch the Supra. Completely wrong choices from both a customer and company standpoint. Same with the Vette. Both client and company will form an opinion on your judgement with such cars. You won't be doing yourself a favor by going that route.

If you're not traveling for work in the thing, how many miles per year are you planning on putting on the thing? Co. giving you a gas card or is that on you? Who pays the maintenance.

Don't rule out leasing as being a better move as you can buy miles ahead of time cheap. There are no limiting factors for leasing....that's a misunderstanding of many. Keep in mind, cars depreciate the same no matter how you pay for them.

If you can find a 335 that's $400mo check for mississippi mud under the seat.

good valid points, thank you very much!!!

As for mileage, they pay for it, i guess that includes maintenence. They pay for every mile a drive that involves work (to work, from work, client appts, company oriented meetings) I get reimbursed monthly.

Your first point is what i am coming to realize.

Being a kid 1-year out of college 400.00 a month seems like a shit-ton of money. But in perspective, i see that 400.00 is very average for a car payment, i guess it's ebcause i see all these tv commercials for 299.00 a month for a new accord, or 360.00 a month for a Acura TL.. the reality is, its never quite that cheap... and when you BUY a used car 400.00 seems like the bare minimum...

I REALLY dont want a car payment, i figured if i could find a car for 400.00... the insurance would still be 100.00-200.00 a month... and now its like, well, im going to spend 600.00 per month on a car PLUS 200.00 insurance.... its now like the 400.00 is null and void because i now must spend an additional 400.00 on the insurance and partial monthly payment.

It could be worse though right? i could be paying 800.00 with no stipend...

FUCK

THANK YOU SOMEONE!!!!

I might just have to buy a daily..... I have wanted a vette for a while, secretly

^^ that's what is tearing me apart... i want what I want...

But i know that it will lack proffesionalism if i buy what i want

You're the one paying on it, and driving it. Do what you like. I really loved mustangs, but then I drove a 4th Gen Z28 and loved it. Ride/drive the ones you like and that fit.

So they are simply paying for business miles driven or is it a Stipend? They won't usually pay both. Also, find out if it is indeed a flat $400 if it's taxed. It should not be if it's a true expense payout. I say that as I've seen some folks talk of car expenses reimbursment, when in fact it was simply a bump in salary and then treated as part of their income thus taxed. Big difference.

Check the miles to and from work....most can't/won't pay you to drive to the office if there's an office that you report to daily. They will pay to go on calls or client meetings, etc...but not regular miles from your home to the office.

Also check on the maint....either of the above situations usually means you pay for any and all service. Mileage allowances are meant to cover all expenses including gas and maint. on top of the vehicle. Thus why I said $400 isn't much in the grand scheme.

At my previous job we were given a $28-$39k car that included every single related cost. That averaged out to about $12k-15k per year before taxes for most folks. Thus when I left, I negotiated for an extra $15k year in my salary where I'm at now to account for the fact that I would then be buying a vehicle and needing to pay gas/maint on my own.

So they are simply paying for business miles driven or is it a Stipend? They won't usually pay both. Also, find out if it is indeed a flat $400 if it's taxed. It should not be if it's a true expense payout. I say that as I've seen some folks talk of car expenses reimbursment, when in fact it was simply a bump in salary and then treated as part of their income thus taxed. Big difference.

100 dollar tax free stipend per week (400.00 month)

Check the miles to and from work....most can't/won't pay you to drive to the office if there's an office that you report to daily.

my boss does, i will be promoted to an equal position (geographically different location)

They will pay to go on calls or client meetings, etc...but not regular miles from your home to the office.

Also check on the maint....either of the above situations usually means you pay for any and all service. Mileage allowances are meant to cover all expenses including gas and maint. on top of the vehicle. Thus why I said $400 isn't much in the grand scheme.

At my previous job we were given a $28-$39k car that included every single related cost. That averaged out to about $12k-15k per year before taxes for most folks. Thus when I left, I negotiated for an extra $15k year in my salary where I'm at now to account for the fact that I would then be buying a vehicle and needing to pay gas/maint on my own.

like i said, they give you 400.00 taxfree per month (5200.00 year) which is actually about 6500.00 (minus taxes)...

and then every month they ask for a mileage report... all work related mileage - hey, my boss told me that he writes down his daily drive.... oh well right?

man it must be tough to decide how to spend $400 a month. wish I had that problem. I think you need to just decide which direction you want to go. fast, sporty, reliable, luxury, ect. if it were me, I would buy a cheaper nice daily then get a fun car. I know you said you don't want a payment, but you have to pay for fun!

Guest tbutera2112

What is your daily car right now? I am also in the market for an evo, you do know they are cheap inside, loud inside ect , and depending on your driving record are pretty steep even at 25? progressive quoted me at 240 a month and I have never had a driving violation and im 25. I was buying the evo just for my weekend car, personally when driving to work now I do not want to hear exhaust, turbo spooling, people trying to race me ect. The vette seems alot more practial the evo because it in stock forum is smooth ,nice ,and still has class. The evo has short gears and rev's annoying on the highway.

Maybe not as fast the g35 is a very nice car, very comfortable, decent gas milage and has the looks. But if you look at it ,this is like free money in a way I know you said you do not want a car payment but if I was in your shoes I would add another 400 a month and get somthing more then an evo if its for work. If you have a decent large sum in the bank saved up, and live in your own home, with no student loan's, and not many other payments thats what I would do.

What is your daily car right now?

01 Chrysler Concorde.... i think its like 45 a month for insurance.

My 1996 240sx is like 36 bucks a month

Both are under my parents insurance.

I am also in the market for an evo, you do know they are cheap inside, loud inside ect , and depending on your driving record are pretty steep even at 25? progressive quoted me at 240 a month and I have never had a driving violation and im 25.

My record is pretty clean, and i get cheap insurance through my parents... but i think that ends.. even though im still technically with theirs

I was buying the evo just for my weekend car,

you must be a baller then

personally when driving to work now I do not want to hear the turbo spooling,

Right, that sound sucks.... i can't believe that you'd say that...

people trying to race me ect.

if you don't want people to race you, don't buy a car that people are going to want to try and race... is this common sense?

The evo has short gears and rev's annoying on the highway.

i'll live

If you have a decent large sum in the bank saved up, and live in your own home, with no student loan's, and not many other payments thats what I would do.

i do have a bit saved up, and will acquire more once i sell my 240sx. I graduated a year ago, no home, just renting in Grandview. I have a few thousand in student loans but nothing huge.... I guess i just don't want to spend 800.00 per month on a car...

I have an 08 v6 accord bone stock as my daily, does what I need has decent power and good on gas. I am over the stage in driving the cars I mod or are ment for performance, guess I am getting older. But hearing a fartcan exhaust to and from work everyday is not my type of thing anymore. And getting a car that no one wants to race? that means I will just bring it out of my garage only for the weekend, so I only have to deal with the ricers for 2 days. I wish I could still be on my parents insurance. and If you plan on only spending 22k on an evo its going to be highermilage or beat up, I have been looking for 3 months now and have driven to florida on cars that seemed good with no luck. I dunno if you are really anal abot your cars but I am, so it may be more easy for you. evo in the 18-20k range are usually 03's with 70-100k already on them, or a car that has alot of abuse on the body and or problems. you always seem to find the better deals for evo's out west because the thats where most of them where sold.

EVO= all the performance and fun , just not comfortable and nice and cheap inside.

Id go for the vette or older bmw.