Tires

EricKerecz

when i had the old qualifiers on my bike, i wasnt a very big fan. the turn-in was horrible, but i wasnt really pushing them hard or close to hard back then..

I have never had experience with the qualifier, but I have heard from others, that they like them. Supposedly, the design of the qualifier is supposed to have a tall crown in the center of the tire to make turn in real quick. But since the centers of the tire wear down so fast (from many straight roads in Ohio), I can see the turn in getting bad. I almost got them, but mileage was a concearn. You could wear a big flat spot in the middle in 3K miles

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... I think we are both saying the same thing. I apologize if it got to a point that we are arguing pretty much the same thing...

I think you were saying what the article is saying in that the tires come to temp pretty much the same. True. They go to 10 degrees, 20 degrees, to 100 degrees, etc.

My point was this:

Use the street tire to be ST. Use race tire to be RT...

ST has an optimal temp of 125 degrees where it works at it's best. The range runs up from there. RT has an optimal setting (noted in the article you posted) of 165 degrees and up from there.

A street tire if heated with warmers to 165 degrees will be very greasy and will not provide the best suitable traction. RT is heated to 165 degrees will be best in that environment where those temps are reached. Thus, a street tire at the track isn't a good idea for the best traction. Can be done, but not ideal.

Same with the RT. It will come to 125 degrees well enough, but it isn't going to provide the best traction at that temp as it is designed to be at 165 or so. Now the ST will work great.

The tires such as the 2CT and what Pirelli stated in the article are tires that bridge a gap. They offer the best of both worlds and can be used in each environment easily w/o too much of a problem. However, at aggressive track pace, they tend to fall off performance wise.

Here's the article as I copied it from the posted link:

"Finally, there is the aspect of using race tires on the street. Interestingly, Knoche says Pirelli's street and DOT race tires should come up to temperature equally quickly and at no time does the race compound offer less traction than that of the street tire. However, this is not a statement that we feel can be safely applied to all brands of tires, as we've heard differently from tire engineers (not marketing managers) from other companies regarding their specific brand."

I agree that they will come to temp equally and I think that's what you were saying. I apologize. I was referring to performance levels at certain temps.

Think of it this way:

My wife's sports car. She has a set of tires that are Summer Performance only tires. They work great at temps above say, 50 degrees. Good adhesion, the optimal operating temps are easily obtained and held. Now, if it gets to winter, we use winter/snow tires. These tires are good at temps below 40 degrees. They offer good adhesion, and reach optimal temps easily and are held as long as needed.

However, the summer tires suck at grip in 40 or lower temps. the compound cannot reach the desired temp for that type of compound. Same with the winter tire. If I use it in July on an 80 degree day, they would turn to rubber cement. They get gummy and greasy. They reach the same temp as they need to be, but exceed their optimal temp for best performance. Make sense?

Otherwise, we'd have a single compound to use for both street and track. Tire companies could save billions if they could develop a tire that does both equally well.

Race tires for the street probably work great for you guys and the guys out here that carve a lot of curvy roads and ride aggressively. that beautiful 200+ hp GSXR you have would eat tires if ridden well and I assume you can ride it that way.

However, average street riders don't need nor can get use out of race tires for the street. Average riders don't have over 200 hp GSXRs, either. So, I put you into the range outside the average.

Again, sorry for the bashing and you were right. I was correct to a degree as well and will make an attempt to be more precise when debating.

I respect that, and I also apologize if i came off too harsh.

:cheers:

I've put quite a few miles on Dunlop Qualifiers, some miles were much harder and longer than probably the average street rider. With this being said, in 1.5 summers loggin a little more than 16,000 miles, I have not been disappointed with Dunlop...actually, I guess you could say that I'm partially bias because Qualifiers are the only tires I've had on the bike other than the stock Dunlops.

I think most people will be to scared to out ride their tires, but I'm sure those who get to the point of out ridin their tires will probably buy better tires...

aren't those the long duration tires that michelin puts out?

in my opinion

if they are the pilot roads that im thinking of, then you'll be more than fine with only 200 miles.

you'd be more than fine no matter what tire is on there with 200 miles...

They will be fine. I had two sets, and they never broke loose on me unless I wanted 'em to ;).

Main thing with tires is you have to be confident in them. You can read all the articles you want and get all the opinions on tires you can get. But in the end your the one that has to be honest with yourself on what kind of rider you are and what you want out of tire (grip, duribility, etc). If you're honest with yourself you'll make the right decision and purchase a tire that you can be confident in simply because its the one that will best meet your needs.

so, would corsa 3's be ok for a first time track rider in the novice group at mid ohio?

i'm hoping ok, cause that's the only set i have left after i run through the current tires i have. lol

so, would corsa 3's be ok for a first time track rider in the novice group at mid ohio?

i'm hoping ok, cause that's the only set i have left after i run through the current tires i have. lol

I can do mid :38s on street tires that were fairly burned up and on that turd Super Duke 990. Corsa 3s will be fine...

but thats cause lizards got the magic.

Nah. Just a fun and hooligan styled bike that allows one to push really hard and not have too many issues. It could go faster on race compound tires MAYBE, but I think it was close to max for me due to things dragging. You know, like the right side case cover?:eek: Not a comfortable thing to have occuring...

Nah. Just a fun and hooligan styled bike that allows one to push really hard and not have too many issues. It could go faster on race compound tires MAYBE, but I think it was close to max for me due to things dragging. You know, like the right side case cover?:eek: Not a comfortable thing to have occuring...

man you gotta get better body positioning.

you should probably attend a trackday with STT i hear they have great instructors that teach you how to ride properly.

I'm probably going to get screamed at, but, the last 3 bikes I've had I ran the Shinko 005s on and I had NO problems with them. I'm not a professional race rider, canyon rider, or drag racer. Nor is the general riding population. I ride to and from work and blast around on the weekends. I've had them on a 748S, a ZX-7RR, and a VFR800 and they gripped fine and wore about the same as any other tires. I put about 15K on a year and at $145+/- they are a deal. I know what everybody says "If you've got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet" but unless your balls out, a cheap tire with a decent compound does the job.