2009 Corvette ZR1 - Road & Track

SPLN SUX

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dpn't see what the big deal is about that car, I mean it's just a vette.....

J/K, They're bad ass!!!!

Guest tbutera2112
not talking it down...just curious, what makes this car so much better than the current z06? wouldnt it make more sense to buy a z06 and slap a blower on it? that one makes 638hp, the c6 z06 makes 505hp....the ZR1 has a blower already (even though its a shitty heaton) but wouldnt putting a blower or turbo onto a z06 give you just as much power? i understand brakes and all the such are different, but what makes that car worth 40 thousand dollars more than a z06? (msrp)

not talking it down...just curious, what makes this car so much better than the current z06? wouldnt it make more sense to buy a z06 and slap a blower on it? that one makes 638hp, the c6 z06 makes 505hp....the ZR1 has a blower already (even though its a shitty heaton) but wouldnt putting a blower or turbo onto a z06 give you just as much power? i understand brakes and all the such are different, but what makes that car worth 40 thousand dollars more than a z06? (msrp)

how much do you think a 20in magnesium wheel costs? or a 19in? i bet thats a good chunk of it.

the blower on the ZR1 is incredible. TVS blowers are about as good as twin-screw (whipple or kenne bell blowers) are for terminator cobras. they are not at all like heatons. even so, ported heatons are still getting 550rwhp (without nitrous) in our '03/04 cobras. with a pulley and minimal supporting mods, the ZR1 will make 700-800 rwhp without even batting an eye---and it only weighs 150lbs more than a z06, which is incredible considering everything that had to be 'beefed up' for the extra 130hp, as well as the weight of the blower itself.

because of the higher compression, and non-"bomb-proof" bottom end of the current z-06, it would be unwise to run boost higher than 5-7psi if one were to choose forced induction--and if they did, i'm guessing they'd have to upgrade suspension/etc. to a weight that is greater than the ZR1.

the current boost pressure on the z-06 is 10.5 psi, but i'm guessing people will push the motor to twice that (with good gasoline), and NO OTHER modifications necessary to the bottom end---just as people have been doing to '03/04 cobras. my car sees 18psi (with no motor modifications), and i'd have no problem upping the boost with a good tune, and higher octane.

once you feel the instantaneous, earth moving torque that a positive displacement blower can produce, you get hooked. that should pretty much answer your question

Guest tbutera2112
the blower on the ZR1 is incredible. TVS blowers are about as good as twin-screw (whipple or kenne bell blowers) are for terminator cobras. they are not at all like heatons. even so, ported heatons are still getting 550rwhp (without nitrous) in our '03/04 cobras. with a pulley and minimal supporting mods, the ZR1 will make 700-800 rwhp without even batting an eye---and it only weighs 150lbs more than a z06, which is incredible considering everything that had to be 'beefed up' for the extra 130hp, as well as the weight of the blower itself.

because of the higher compression, and non-"bomb-proof" bottom end of the current z-06, it would be unwise to run boost higher than 5-7psi if one were to choose forced induction--and if they did, i'm guessing they'd have to upgrade suspension/etc. to a weight that is greater than the ZR1.

the current boost pressure on the z-06 is 10.5 psi, but i'm guessing people will push the motor to twice that (with good gasoline), and NO OTHER modifications necessary to the bottom end---just as people have been doing to '03/04 cobras. my car sees 18psi (with no motor modifications), and i'd have no problem upping the boost with a good tune, and higher octane.

once you feel the instantaneous, earth moving torque that a positive displacement blower can produce, you get hooked. that should pretty much answer your question

oh alright thanks, didnt realize it was such a better platform to build off of

Guest tbutera2112
oh wow..i was guessing the difference in a mach and a cobra...i heard a rumor that the markup is going to be insane, as in almost the same cost as the msrp...anyone know anything about that?

oh wow..i was guessing the difference in a mach and a cobra..

either way, its in a completely different class. as stated the brakes are high dollar. bigger than the z-06's and half the weight. the sealant on the carbon fiber top is something crazy like $30,000 per gallon. just read one of the many articles on this thing and you'll realize the difference that has gone into this car to demand a $100k price tag.

as far as markups, i'm sure they will be hefty--just as they were/are for the ford GT, the GT-500, '03/04 cobras, C6z-06, challenger, etc.

the real question is when will the war stop, as gas prices keep rising, and the market for these types of vehicles shrinks. i can remember in high school, when a stock 5.0 foxbody coupe was a contender--and that was not all that long ago--225hp

for the same reason everyone doesn't just buy a regular C6 and put a turbo or blower on it. because no matter what you do to a C6 it will never be a Z06. no matter what you do to a Z06 it will never be a ZR1.

NOW LETS GIVE IT TO THE STIG!!!

The wheels are the only part I don't like about the car :(..

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/autos_content_landing_pages__9/autos_content_landing_pages-243135357-1213895342.jpg?ymvaCk_ClcILXg.m

If you dont like this car, youre a fucking terrorist.