New job=New car

Buteo

I've decided to sell my WRX this fall/winter. There are multiple reasons influencing my decision, and most of the wrx/sti folks know that I mentioned a few times via pms and other threads.

One of the many reasons I am getting rid of my car is because I am taking a somewhat "professional" position where I will be traveling often. The wrx is a great car, but damn I drove to Chicago last weekend and my body was aching and ears droning.

So, I have a couple of scenarios in my head and want to run them by you all. It is sad to say but most of my car knowledge comes from this place and nasioc so as immature of a place this is, I respect it. But here are the options I've been thinking about...

Option #1

Keep the wrx and rough it.

Option #2

Sell wrx. Purchase cheap dd (late 90's civic or so). Save and eventually purchase rwd sports car.

Option #3

Sell wrx. Purchase Lexus is 250 awd or c300 4matic. Save and eventually purchase rwd sports car.

Any input would be appreciated. Im pretty much torn between option 2 and 3. But, I really cant see myself out of a "fun" car for long and option 3 definitely will make that time a little longer.

3 if it is a good good job you are starting then you can buy a sports car later

Definitely a good job. I hate throwing numbers around but we have been discussing 65-70 or so.

Will your new job require you to have a more sophisticated vehicle? Will you be toting clients around town or will your boss and co-workers see you driving to/from work?

Yes to both of those questions. That is one of my reasons for thinking lexus and merc.

You don't want your clients to think you have to much money and bla bla...My bro makes well over 100K and drives a 2000 pontiac sunfire with customers in the car....To each there own though....Congrats on the job..I'm sure you'll be happy either way!

You don't want your clients to think you have to much money and bla bla...My bro makes well over 100K and drives a 2000 pontiac sunfire with customers in the car....To each there own though....Congrats on the job..I'm sure you'll be happy either way!

Depends on the type of client.

Depends on the type of client.

Clients will be of the medical profession. Most often/likely would be Doctors and possibly their staff.

-I feel like I should throw this out there as well. The position is not sales related, but research orientated. I believe that makes a difference, which is why 3 is up there.

...I will be traveling often...

Sounds like me. I bought an 05 Focus. Good gas mileage, OK power (for DD) and it's not uncomfortable.

In my position, we put about 30-50K miles per year on our cars. I needed to have a car that was paid for in a couple of years at the most. A Fusion wouldn't be bad either. My primary concerns were gas mileage and initial cost. From someone who travels for a living, if you want to discuss details, PM me. I have been traveling since 1999.

Have you drivem an IS250?I waited for them to release it and drove it and then bought the last 2005 IS300 they had.The IS250 seem slow,bulky and small inside.Just my opinion.I also hate the big hump on the drivers side interior the AWD has.

Don't shoe-horn yourself into a newer car; you can rock a respectable vehicle on a budget. I would get a lower-mile older car all day long and still not have a car payment.

Friend of mine in Naples bought a low-mi '98 Mercedes E320 for less than $8,000 a couple of years ago and he's put well over 40k miles on it in 2 years with no maintenance aside from oil, belts and filters.

IMO, I'd say go conservative. Never buy a car just for a job. Things change quite fast and easily.

I'd say a nice Camery SE. Looks good with the aero kit...for a Camery that is. Or even a new Accord.

Both are big, quiet, get good mpgs, and hold value like no body else. So even if you change jobs you'll likely be able to get out of them much easier. They hold their value extermely well and are in demand most all the time on the used market.

Cars are expenses no matter how you look at it and that's more true given this is primarily because of your job.

You're young and driving a MBZ or Lexus IMO is a bit over the top. Not knocking your age or income, but $70k and the above don't match real well. Customers don't care and if anything, going too nice will hurt their impression of you and the company. I've covered that before. Better to stay on the conservative side. You may not have a family or what not, but still....

Just my thoughts. Been there done that in my days.