Took A Puck To The Face Today

Wease

Playing a drop in ice hockey (basically a pick-up game, people show up and you play a game) this morning at the Dublin Chiller, someone made an ill advised back hand pass directly into my face. :o I wear a half shield, which protects my eyes, but not my mouth. A couple of stitches and some "glue" later, I was good as new. Never knew there was "glue", which takes the place of a lot of stitches. It was pretty deep, almost all the way through my lip, and about 1/2 way to my nose. Didn't bleed too bad, but I had to leave to go get fixed. Being the nice guy that I am, I went home, showered, and then went into Urgent Care so they didn't have to smell me while fixing me up. :)

Here's a good close up pic:

http://www.wease.net/pics/Lip1.JPG

A couple of stitches and some "glue" later, I was good as new. Never knew there was "glue", which takes the place of a lot of stitches. ]

dermabond ftw. some surgeons have started to use it as well. i believe it was used in the past, but is much more improved. its very useful for smashed finger nail-beds, where the laceration may not be a clean cut, and the tissue in your nail bed does not hold sutures very well.

not saying they did a bad job, but i would have shaved your manstache to make sure the margins of your lip line up exactly. otherwise, it can look like you've had a cleft lip repaired- either way, you'll have a decent scar--the dermabond limits the amount of "train track" appearance that traditional stitches can give

edit--that is one of the most painful areas (lip) to get local anesthetic injected into

I played CAHL for years before moving to Florida...then continued with adult leagues there.

There is no reason why you need to wear anything less than a full cage. Now, you have a permanent scar. Not sure why people not getting PAID to play hockey don't protect themselves better. :(

Did you go to polaris urgent care? My girlfriend said somthing about someone coming to get stitches last night as I was on the phone with her, was this you? oh yeah your lucky to have your teeth man!

Nope, I was at Wedgewood Urgent Care around 1:30 P.M. in Powell. That's the closest one to me... :nod:

dermabond ftw. some surgeons have started to use it as well. i believe it was used in the past, but is much more improved. its very useful for smashed finger nail-beds, where the laceration may not be a clean cut, and the tissue in your nail bed does not hold sutures very well.

not saying they did a bad job, but i would have shaved your manstache to make sure the margins of your lip line up exactly. otherwise, it can look like you've had a cleft lip repaired- either way, you'll have a decent scar--the dermabond limits the amount of "train track" appearance that traditional stitches can give

edit--that is one of the most painful areas (lip) to get local anesthetic injected into

Thought the same thing when I saw his pic w/mustache still intact and I'm not even a doc, nurse, ems, etc. lol

Good luck with the heal, man. Coulda been your nose or some teeth, too. Try not to frown or smile too much. :)

I played CAHL for years before moving to Florida...then continued with adult leagues there.

There is no reason why you need to wear anything less than a full cage. Now, you have a permanent scar. Not sure why people not getting PAID to play hockey don't protect themselves better. :(

THANKYOU! Ive been saying this ever since I started playing hockey. We dont get paid enough to take a puck to the face. And I cant tell you how many times I've heard (but not seen) peoples sticks, pucks, helmets, elbow's hit my face mask and everytime Im thankful i wear a cage.

Oh btw, What time was this drop-in? was it at dublin? if so I think i was suppose to go to that with my buddy colin but had something else to do at the time.

Oh btw, What time was this drop-in? was it at dublin? if so I think i was suppose to go to that with my buddy colin but had something else to do at the time.

Yup, Dublin at 11:30. I should be there next Sunday again... :nod: