Have you been to Amsterdam?

Akula

I have been once, but I was there for work and stayed out at Schiphol. I am going with a friend for a few days and wondered opinions on places to go.

I am going to Van Gogh this time fo-sho, and I know where the best steak is... But what else? Which coffee shop must I visit? (please don't suggest anything right next to central station because they all suck)

Actually, their crime rate is very low. Allowing Pot and Hashish means access is simple so "hard" drugs aren't that sought after. They are going to prune it back but they do that every few years. Also the red light district is up for debate again, some folks don't like it.

• 1 month later...

Well, just got back (sitting in ORD actually). I had a very good time, saw piles of stuff I wanted to. Didn't get to the Van Gogh or Anne Frank's (long lines) I am going to Brussels next week and have planned an extra day to ride up to Amsterdam again and hit Van Gogh.

The thing that stood out the most was the planes were almost empty. There were 105 empty seats on the way over and 65 on the way back.