When do you begin to trust ur dog...story?

Putty

Just becasue you had good luck, doesn't mean everyone has to live by your rules. If his dog gets into the trash and eats the lid off a can and it slices his intestines through and through, are you going to buy him a new puppy?

you're right....not everybody has to live by my methods...they can not train their dog properly and over time they will become destructive, just as most any dog...but that's not a Boxer trait that is typical of the breed...that's a result of how it is being raised not part of its DNA. Destructive behaviors are typically noted in consumer guides for a large number of the working dog class.

Edited by TTQ B4U

My Bull Terriers are usually kenneled when we're going to be out for more than 4 hors or so. They usually get locked up at night while we're sleeping as well, but sometimes we let them sleep on the couch, if they haven't had much "out time" during the day.

We started the crate training on day one, and my 8yo male actually prefers it in there. My 6yo female is way more "people-oriented", so she would much rather be where the people are.

I think I used to leave them unattended for short-ish times during the day, like while I was mowing the lawn, or changing oil or whatever. Some of that destructive activity stems from separation anxiety, so you have to build it up a little at a time, so they know you're actually coming back and don't feel like they have to freak out.

And I'll second the exercise suggestion. It cures LOTS of problems.

They are known to be high energy dogs that are intelligent and stubborn, but are not typically chewers or destroyers.

You just agreed with him...

High energy + leaving a dog out = boredom = chewing and destructive behavior.

My ex wife was a dog trainer for years and she'd agree with this wholeheartedly. She's worked with 100's of boxers and would guess that 80% of owners that don't crate their boxers have this behavior.

You had a couple very good Boxers, I have too, but that's not the majority. In the puppy ages of Boxer's they can be very destructive when left alone in boredom.

Some dogs just can't be left to roam around the house while you are gone. Just put them in the crate so nothing bad happens.

I was able to train my black lab to leave shit alone but it took many months. She loved to tear down the drapes and curtains like it was her job.

You just agreed with him...

High energy + leaving a dog out = boredom = chewing and destructive behavior.

My ex wife was a dog trainer for years and she'd agree with this wholeheartedly. She's worked with 100's of boxers and would guess that 80% of owners that don't crate their boxers have this behavior. Boxers are not regarded as dogs that need kenneled when adults due to destructive or mischievous behavior.

You had a couple very good Boxers, I have too, but that's not the majority. In the puppy ages of Boxer's they can be very destructive when left alone in boredom.

No I did not. "This is normal Boxer behavior." is not true. This is abnormal dog behavior due to being left bored and undisciplined. Same is true for any working dog or even kids. But it's not "normal" for a Boxer by any means. That's like saying it's normal for a Pitbull to attack or be aggressive.

What is normal is they don't like to be left alone, left bored or locked in a confined space. They are people dogs that love attention and thrive on interaction and training.

I've worked with Boxers at both rescue groups here in Columbus and Dayton with both Rachel Osborne and Sue Jarvis for over 15 years and have yet to see a boxer that's "normal" be destructive. Chewing or mouthing is not a normal behavior in Boxers. Slobering and Farting...yes ;) Even our most stubborn fosters come around very quickly when handled and exercised, even just mildly.

If anyone recalls the days of email lists....jump on the Boxer Mailing list and subscribe to the digest. We have thousands of members world-wide. Just email Dale Ulmer there for a subscription. Great insight to be had there. http://iupucbio2.iupui.edu/bml/

My boxer will occasionally rip stuff up and she is two also. We had her in a cage for the first week we got her.

If you have another boxer, it's something that they just do. They like to look for stuff and rip the shit up for no reason.

Plastic bags, paper towels, anything that can be ripped into a million pieces they will do it from time to time.

We have not had a problem with her doing it recently over the past few months though.

And boxer farts stink.