How has age changed you? (Car Wise)

thorne

When I first started CR it was nothing but a bunch of us guys who hung around and ummm played Gran Turismo 3 for hours on end.

Then later I moved onto wanting to be 11's in the 1/4. At this point I could care less about the 1/4 and care more about races that last more then 10 seconds.

Even my car build plans have changed in this time. The car has continuely been built in one fashion or another but when I did the tranny last year I made my big leap into I want to Road/Rally race instead of drag.

That choice pretty much killed my hopes of ever running 11's BUT it opened up a whole different car realm.

Sam's LS1 thread made me think of this . So how many others stopped caring about being the FASTER 1/4 or 40 roll and are more intrestest in other forms of racing now.

So I pose this question, How many of you lost intrest in being the #1 Racer and more into enjoying your car?

I know I don't enjoy 1/4 mile nearly as much as every other form of racing I've done but I love racing so I will always dabble in it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I had my first car (87 Supra Turbo) I loved it, but didn't know anything about it. I had no idea what modifications to do or how things worked. I ended up spending more money on the appearance (Paint, replacing OEM parts, wheels/tires) and stereo parts.

Then after switching to the Z, heading to college, and growing up... I dove head first into learning how the thing worked. That lead to me having huge horsepower aspirations. I would also do stupid crap on the street occasionally... which in retrospect wasn't as bad as others, but still stupid.

Now I don't care about having the fastest, the best looking or most powerful car. I'm simply out to better my driving at AutoX, slowly move towards bigger track days, and tune the car to perfection.

Age has given me a little perspective - and unlike many I see buying, selling, buying, selling.... I plan on sticking with this car and just making it better piece by piece. Not out to beat anyone - just enjoying the hobby.

I could care less about being fast on the strip or the street anymore... i think its dumb and pointless. Im more interested in Endurance racing and hill climbs than anything... but even still... who really cares. Id rather find a woman, buy a house and have a couple sons to spend time doing that stuff with.

I haven't changed too much. I think I've become more reasonable, maybe. I think with my first car I threw money into the wrong things, I think now I'm better able to prioritize what I want, and spend accordingly. I think my tastes in racing have always been more into a car that goes and turns, but I can still definitely appreciate impressive straight-line cars.

I've lately become interested in weird and unique cars, and just generally engine/chassis combinations you rarely see.

Not much has changed for me either. I still think straight line racing is the most pointless motorsport there is, because its always more about power than skill. All that has really constantly changed is what car I want to focus on. Ive gone from an MR2, to a Mustang, to an MR2 again, and then now a Datsun Z car. All were going to be purposed more for road racing and autocross, rather than straight line speed.

Guest mitsumodder
lets see...i started driving an 1987 riveria, got into the import thing and got a civic (imagine that). i finally realized that a civic was going to get me nowhere and moved on to DSM's, which i love. actually, i will have my current DSM till i die. the recent devlopments are the ones showing my age and maturity. i just sold my 1991 se-r to get an outback wagon so when my little girl (due any day) is born she will have a safe roomy ride. as for racing, i dont care where or when, i love it...just hearing those 23 pounds of boost build up is what gets me off.

All forms of motoracing attract me. Performance has always been the drive, as well. For me, form follows function. Not to say I haven't had the huge stereo system and I had some of those blue led wiper fluid squirters once. Oh, my buddy and I used a sock for an air intake filter on his Festiva once. lol :D

The biggest difference being, now, I have a wealth of information and others experiences to build off of, ie; the internet, forums, etc. I had none of these things growing up. Maybe, I'd have been more of "ricer" if I were younger. I think most people start off a bit "ricer" and generally mature into something else. That's why I try not to dog people for their personal choices, etc.

when this site first started and when i joined it was all about (in my eyes) being wreckless (take that with a grain of salt) and street racing...clowning around and being an all around idiot. now i seriously look down on all forms of activities that put myself, my family, or your family in danger because i want to be selfish. i love cars. i love racing. i condone racing in sanctioned forums not dragging down a side street.

my taste in cars has changed drastically also. everyone started off ricer and ends up with an eclectic taste and great knowledge (well most people). i know i never came out to any meets or even know any of you at all...but most of you i have watched your posts mature over the years. its kinda cool...

Not much has changed for me either. I still think straight line racing is the most pointless motorsport there is, because its always more about power than skill.

The only people that use this arguement are those that have never driven a high horsepower car. There is much more to drag racing than making horsepower numbers on a dyno and sticking the gas to the floor at the track.

If it were easy to run fast ETs, everyone here would be doing it.

When I was 16, I got my first job and I needed a car. I took every single one of the $980 I had saved over the years, and bought a gray '89 Chevy Celebrity V6 sedan. I loved that car and thought it was sweet, because I didn't know anything about cars and it's all I could afford. I don't recall doing any stupid ricer shit, but I would drive it around thinking I was a badass. It had headlight covers, Z26 rims, a Cherry Bomb muffler, and subs. I was very proud of that car.

When I was 18, I got a '92 Camaro RS 305 shortly after graduating high school. It wasn't fast and didn't look great, but I had wanted a Camaro since kindergarten and finally had one. Then I got a '91 S10 and got good at driving stick. After that I got a GTP which was the first nice car I'd ever owned, and the fastest. By the time I started modding it and wanting to take it to the track, I traded it. Now I'm on the hunt for another car again.

I have grown up a lot over the years. I've never cared about having the fastest or nicest car, but hopefully this spring I will finally have the car I've always wanted. I plan on going to the strip a couple times, but mostly I just want to enjoy what I have and be happy with it.

The only people that use this arguement are those that have never driven a high horsepower car. There is much more to drag racing than making horsepower numbers on a dyno and sticking the gas to the floor at the track.

I'm not arguing with anyone, its just my opinion.

When I first started CR it was nothing but a bunch of us guys who hung around and ummm played Gran Turismo 3 for hours on end.

Well I for one, only play Forza 2 now, and only with my Xbox360 Force Feedback Steering Wheel.

I can fap thinking about it.

I've become more discerning. When I was younger, I liked all forms of racing (including NASCAR :shame:). But as I've become older, I've started to lean towards specific forms of racing. I like types of racing that use a wide range of techniques and require the best of both the driver AND the car.

And what I want from a car has changed as well. A perfect example is my past cars. I owned a '98 T/A. Loved it. But now, I'd be very disappointed in it. Back then, I wanted a car that was quick. Now, I want a car that can turn as well.

As for kids, not for me. But I am looking forward to the time when I can get my nephew into karting! :)

ummmm...

Drag Racing is Horsepower/Tq period. Yes you have to shift and launch but ehhh . I guesse its personal preferance. I rather autocross a Hyundia all day long then drag race my wrx all day long.

BUT I love all forms of racing. Even Drifting because it does take skills

ummmm...

Drag Racing is Horsepower/Tq period. Yes you have to shift and launch but ehhh . I guesse its personal preferance. I rather autocross a Hyundia all day long then drag race my wrx all day long.

BUT I love all forms of racing. Even Drifting because it does take skills

Thanks for proving my point.

I have calmed down considerably.

Used to rag the hell out of the old Talon all over 270 with dad (Think Circa CDSM/RadioShack) and early CR. With the way things are now I rarely do over 72 and will disregard 99% of people instigating a friendly competition.

Worked way too hard to come this far and have to start over because of a 20 second lapse of judgment.

Now I just buy cars I seriously enjoy driving everyday.

When you're talking about a sport where winners and losers are split by tenths of a second or less (like errr ... drag racing) reaction time is paramount to success. There is skill involved without a doubt. I personally feel other forms of racing require much more skill, by nature of having more "parts", but to each their own.

Not sure if it's age that has changed my perspective or experiences. Sure, the both are related, but I think, for me, it's been more a result of experiences as opposed to just aging.

A few years ago, it was all about speed, performance, etc. That, of course, was a never-ending cycle of getting faster, blowing something up, getting faster, getting beat by someone faster, getting faster some more, but then getting beat by someone else faster, and so on ad nauseum. Long story short: there's always someone faster.

Now, for me, it's about having something that I find fun to drive while maintaining drivability and comfort. Sure, I like to go fast, that'll probably never change, it's just that the urge to go fast has been tempered by sensibility.

Besides, I could have a completely bone stock C6 and every girl that rides in it will think it's the fastest fucking car on the planet. Seriously, super high HP attracts way more dudes than chicks.