Welp it happened, in hospital, its bad

wnaplay1647545503

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its amazing that this pain medicine wears off exactly on the hour. Its not a drip. Every hour on the hour I wake up because within a matter of 10 secs I go from hurting a little, to I'm looking for a saw to cut my foot off pain. They have this machine that has a tube going into the wound and is trying to pull everything together. Its amazing the body can remake its own blood because this thing keeps pulling it out. They are talking about skin-graphing the foot. So that may be an additional area that will need to heal.

wound vacs ftw. they have changed the way we deal with injuries like yours. before wound vacs, we'd take patients back to surgery every couple days. you're probably looking at one more surgery at least to try to partially or completely close the wound once the swelling goes down--and a skin graft if it doesn't come together--so maybe two much smaller surgeries. the skin graft (if necessary) will be completely healed LONG before you're putting any weight on that leg so don't worry.

Jason, this is horrible to hear. Keep your head up and best of luck with your recovery. Hopefully the paint starts to subside today for you some.

I agree you're in great hands. I've been a visitor to Riverside frequently in the last couple of weeks and the staff there is amazing.

Andy

That sucks man. Hopefully everything comes along. I've had 4 surgeries on my right ankle and destroyed most everything there was in there. I'm pretty sure I know that pain your talking about. It's the most intense pain I've ever felt. Mine came after they repaired the ligaments and removed cartilage. Mine lasted for about 2 weeks. They gave me way more morphine than they should have and it didn't even take the edge off. Diladin helped a hair but it came back really quickly. I was on 2 to 3 percucets every 2 to 3 hours just to knock me out cause of the pain.

You know the pains bad when it makes a grown man cry.

Ho.Ly.Shit.

That is one of my biggest fears at work (messing with forklifts and such). I agree about the Riverside staff though. When I was there a few years ago for my appendicitis they were awesome. Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery.

I've been lucky enough to have never needed major surgery, so I can't imagine what you're feeling. But I do know that along with the pain, I'd be freaking out also about what happens after. I hope everything goes well for you, man.

Oh and welcome to the Cyborg Crew, we lost a valuable member a month ago. I'm sure you will have some metal in your foot when you leave. As for a Foot and Ankle DOctor I strongly encourage you to see Doctor Berlet for the care of your foot after the hospital.

He explained everything to me about my ankle and never bullshitted me, took time to make sure I understood everything I needed to do and listened to my questions honestly. Not to mention I think they might have moved to the new medical facility up on Polaris, that place is sweet!

WOW :eek: I guess I won't ever complain about how bad it hurt when I dropped a sheet of drywall on my big toe and the nail turned purple :cry:

I agree with the previous advice about seeking out a lawyer. Like it or not, getting something out of all this will help cover things during an already tough economic time.

Best of luck during the down time.

Well I am still in the hospital. It was certainly a rough and very slow night. My wife was here all day and them my aunt brought my kids up until my mom arrived at 6pm and stayed with me until about an hour ago. My boss and my dad stayed for a few hours around lunch time. They may have gotten me on a pain management regime and actually was able to sleep for a bit. Now the swelling needs to go down or they will be forcedto cut slots in the top of the foot that go all the way through to help make room for the swelling which doesnt sound good. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Guest tbutera2112
Well I am still in the hospital. It was certainly a rough and very slow night. My wife was here all day and them my aunt brought my kids up until my mom arrived at 6pm and stayed with me until about an hour ago. My boss and my dad stayed for a few hours around lunch time. They may have gotten me on a pain management regime and actually was able to sleep for a bit. Now the swelling needs to go down or they will be forcedto cut slots in the top of the foot that go all the way through to help make room for the swelling which doesnt sound good. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

i can sneak in there with a nice sharp pocket knife and start cutting away if you wanna save some cash on that medical bill!

Good luck Jason I spent the last week in the hospital with my mom for a broken femor (do to cancer) and she too took a likeing to the diloted.

And I think you are in the correct hospital as I had my surgery in jan there and compared to mt carmel east (where mom is) riverside is much better