When do you know it is time to change jobs?

Akula

I tend to work for Silicon Valley startups. I have jumped around a bit and can usually tell when the end is near.

I am at this point with my current job. I have some interviews lined up, but I have some new things coming down the line that I want to work with.

I guess my question is, when do you all know that you aren't contributing anymore and start looking?

I normally find a new job when I get laid off :).

Well. I'm still with the same company (Chase), but 2 years ago the group I was in with for 5 years was going to shit. Outsourcing it all to contractors, just shitty all around.

I found a opening doing remote support and snagged that. Been there 2 years and I like it a LOT better than where I was before.

I have interviews lined up already. I am just wondering if I am justified in my own head. I don't have problems finding work, I have plenty of networking contacts in Silicon Valley. I just don't want to ruin those relationships. Working with people that invented things like NAT is just very invigorating, until office politics comes up.

I have interviews lined up already. I am just wondering if I am justified in my own head. I don't have problems finding work, I have plenty of networking contacts in Silicon Valley. I just don't want to ruin those relationships. Working with people that invented things like NAT is just very invigorating, until office politics comes up.....

..... and fuck it all up.

Good luck finding a job, it took since Feb. 1 to find the job I just got hired to, and its not even in my field of study.

I work in a way different environment than Columbus. Plus I have about 10 years experience doing this, and I have contacts all over the industry. Like I said, I have been invited to have drinks with some guys at another company (this is how interviews go for these types of positions). I just wonder if now is the right time...

Yes I get to go to cool places, that is part of the whole headache. (next stop is Phuket Thailand http://www.indigo-pearl.com/index.html

I'm in a similar position. I still like working for my company, but I don't feel like I'm contributing to the depth I desire. My recommendations fall on deaf ears, the politics never change, and I feel my career stagnating. That's how I know it's probably time to go.

It's especially painful because I've been here going on five years, I was the first employee and the company has met success largely upon my shoulders. I'm still here because we're not planning on staying in Columbus much longer, and I can use the freedom I'm allowed to pursue educational opportunities and personal growth.

But even that is nearing the end of it's novelty, I'm ready for new challenges. I think when you're ready for new challenges, new faces, and a refreshed outlook on your career - that's when it's time to go.