nooby riding question

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

ok...i rode a street bike for the first time the other day, and WOW was it different from my dirtbike...

anyways, i was telling my buddy that while shifting gears, i could put it into the next gear and just let the clutch go and it was still smooth, almost like i dont even need the clutch after im moving...i know the clutch isnt slipping or anything, its in good condition i can tell from when im moving slow

he then told me that he was always taught after youre moving, you dont need the clutch to shift, just let out the gas, put it into the next gear, and then youre good to go...only use clutch to downshift or stop...

he says doing it that way is less wear on clutch

to me it seems like that would be hard on the trans

someone tell me how im supposed to shift on a streetbike? its my first bike and i cant afford to fix it if i break it... bike is a 97 vmax if that matters at all

Either method is fine if done correctly. If you are used to 2 stroke dirtbikes, you are probably slipping the clutch a lot and that is not good nor necessary. Get the clutch out quick if you are going to use it. For clutchless shifting, put a little pressure (up) on the shifter prior to gear change and then roll off the throttle some and you should feel your shift lever move the rest of the way seemingly on its own. A proper clutchless shift should make no clunk or bang and should be harmless to the transmission.

FWIW I used to have a V-Max and it was not as easy to do this on as a sportbike. The trans was clunky and gear spacing is much wider than a modern rocket.

Guest tbutera2112
the general consensus from here and OR seems to be that i can do it without the clutch, but that i wont harm anything by using the clutch...so im going to just use the clutch

A wet clutch can slip much more easily than a dry clutch (obviously) which will take up the shock of the gears smacking into each other. As the miles rack up you may start to experience popping out of gear as the dogs get more and more rounded off.

its bad on the trans but good on the clutch. so if u would rather replace a clutch than your transmission, use your clutch when shifting. Edited by Reed44
reword

schmuckingham- actually you have it backwards. its harder on the trans to upshift while speeding up because its under a load. its best to use the clutch all the time.

schmuckingham- actually you have it backwards. its harder on the trans to upshift while speeding up because its under a load. its best to use the clutch all the time.

wrong sir, the way motorcycle shift forks and gears are setup its easier on hard parts when NOT using the clutch. When into the gas hard your gear stack is loaded, then you clutch and unload, change gear and BANG the gear stack is slammed in to the nect gear and wears shift forks and bearings. If you had just not used the clutch the load is still on gear stack and everything is hunky dori. Hell even upshifting I wouldnt use the clutch if it werent a violent shock to the rear tire even with rev matching.

Besides there is a reason that every type of motorcycle racing they never use the clutch to upshift.