riding with no helmet

Moostang

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only thoughts... It's a law to wear a seatbelt in an enclosed vehicle but not a law to wear a helmet on an open vehicle like a bike, pretty dumb if you ask me. But it wont be my skull getting cracked on the pavement so I don't really care.

On a side note my personal favorite was leaving the waterpark I scene a couple on a bike take off pretty fast, no helment on either of them wearing nothing but their swimsuits, yes the girl as well...

At least put padding on it? But yeah, I don't like the idea of riding in a car with 'racing' seats, a roll bar, or harnesses without all of the above (plus helmet).

I have the certified foam on there.. that stuff is hard as bricks! I'll just wear a helmet :cool:

It's fine not to wear a helmet as it is to wear one

Doesn't make you stupid or cocky.

it doesn't make someone stupid...that was already done. it does however, tell the world they are stupid. opinions on the subject may vary, but in the end, not wearing a helmet is stupid. There's really no debating the subject.

not wearing a helmet is not endangering anyone but the rider, so there should be no law about it...

We've had this debate on here before...it does put others at risk. if a rider gets a bug or stone in the face/eye, they are put in a dangerous situation that affects those on the road around them.

Anytime you're on the road with others, your actions affect them in a number of ways. Your "rights" aren't rights when it comes to motoring down the road....driving and riding a bike is a privilege. Have the common "courtesy" to be aware and concerned about others around you. We don't need to live with your risk.

Besides, if a vehicle is involved in a wreck involving a biker with no lid, they are likely going to suffer way more injuries than if they had one. we all pay for that in terms of insurance rates, and the unlucky ones that die because they were riding "cool" or making a statement about their "rights" leave the others involved in the incident with the situation to live with for the rest of their lives. A situation they shouldn't have had to face to begin with.

we've had this debate on here before...it does put others at risk. if a rider gets a bug or stone in the face/eye, they are put in a dangerous situation that affects those on the road around them.

besides, if a vehicle is involved in a wreck involving a biker with no lid, they are likely going to suffer way more injuries than if they had one. we all pay for that in terms of insurance rates, and the unlucky ones that die because they were riding "cool" or making a statement about their "rights" leave the others involved in the incident with the situation to live with for the rest of their lives. A situation they shouldn't have had to face to begin with.

Anytime you're on the road with others, your actions affect them in a number of ways.

Not having a helmet on usually doesnt cause crashes.. it just makes them more likely to be severely hurt if they do crash. Not having a helmet on really only impacts pennies on insurance rates and some mental issues with people who may see a person that dies that way. The impact is there but its really small. If it was bigger like the impact of seat belts it would be a law.

If it was bigger like the impact of seat belts it would be a law.

That debate has been around for a while. The reason it's not seen as being an equal impact is that the number of bikes on the road is low compared to the number of other vehicles. Factor in it's a season thing, the percentages are even lower. Those injuries do however affect health care and insurance for the rest of us. I don't care by what percentage, anything at all is unnecessary and burdens everyone. Personally, it's not the financial impact that pisses me off as much as it is those arguing about rights typically could care less about those around them and their rights.

Personally, I always wore and wear a lid when riding. Just had my first ride in about 5 years this past week on the country roads of up-state NY and loved it.

IMO, those that don't will just filter themselves out of society through Darwinism. I have zero sympathy for a rider who goes down without one.

the one that always gets me is guys that wear a helmet but have on shorts, cutoff shirt, and flip flops....uh the helmet is going to only protect your head you jackasses!!! it doesn't automatically protect everything else too. use some common sense and wear proper gear not fucking flippy floppy's!!!! as for people that do/don't wear a helmet, IT IS a personal choice....i have sometimes went with out a helmet but thats only if i am puttin around town. i know i know, you can wreck and die just as easily at 35mph as you can 65mph.

That debate has been around for a while. The reason it's not seen as being an equal impact is that the number of bikes on the road is low compared to the number of other vehicles. Factor in it's a season thing, the percentages are even lower.

Personally, I always wore and wear a lid when riding. Just had my first ride in about 5 years this past week on the country roads of up-state NY and loved it.

IMO, those that don't will just filter themselves out of society through Darwinism. I have zero sympathy for a rider who goes down without one.

Exactly, its a game of numbers. Put half as many bikes as cars on the roads and insurance companies/law officials would push to make wearing helmets a law so fast it would make our heads spin.

so what about the guys doing wheelies at 70mph on the free way with helmets and gear..stupid or not..insurance risks or not??

mace

Well that is illegal, so it's not at all like helmets or the argument that is currently being made.

I'm thinking you don't get that so let me state this simply. What I'm saying below has nothing to do with what I said above and nothing to do with insurance rates laws.

Yes it's fucking dumb and it will cause you to be more likely to be injured.

I'll retell a story I told on here. I was driving down the highway one night and some bikers were coming up behind me. I'm doing probably 70 or 75 in the fast lane (that's what I always do). I hear one of them go into a much lower gear, look over and see a light pointed at the sky. I roll down my window and tell my passenger to look over. They have no idea why I'm telling them to do this. A few seconds later the biker went by us just a little faster than us doing a wheelie. They had no idea the biker was there and never would have until they were in front of us if I hadn't said anything.

So yes, it's dumb.

A bike wrecking into a car can still injure the people in the car.

so what about the guys doing wheelies at 70mph on the free way with helmets and gear..stupid or not..insurance risks or not??

mace

Immature. Likely a risk whether they ride a bike, drive a car or simply walk down the street. Unfortunately we can't escape from dumb people. They are all around us.

Guest tbutera2112
That debate has been around for a while. The reason it's not seen as being an equal impact is that the number of bikes on the road is low compared to the number of other vehicles. Factor in it's a season thing, the percentages are even lower. Those injuries do however affect health care and insurance for the rest of us. I don't care by what percentage, anything at all is unnecessary and burdens everyone. Personally, it's not the financial impact that pisses me off as much as it is those arguing about rights typically could care less about those around them and their rights.

seems like you directed your first post at me....i do wear a helmet, even when im on a dirtbike putting around a baby trail or through my gfs yard

Years ago I worked in the ER of a busy hospital. I've seen first hand and in graphic detail more road rash than I can possibly count or care to remember. I recently bought another motorcycle and the first thing I did was get full protective gear: riding jacket with armor, full-face helmet, riding pants with pads and armor, boots and gloves.

I wouldn't care if the law said you could ride naked with one eye closed with your finger stuck up your ass, I would still wear all my gear. The vision of nurses picking gravel and glass from injuries resembling uncooked meatloaf is tattooed on the back of my brain.

On a side note I now work for a large hospital chain in the Columbus area. The bills from uninsured cyclists head injuries are a huge burden to both the hospital and insurance companies. One case alone can easily run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. The cost IS passed on to everyone in the system eventually. So next time you get your insurance premium or hospital bill you are indirectly paying more for your service because someone elses "choice" not to wear a helmet, have the proper insurance and in many cases both.

I dont care what other people do but I wont ride without my leather jacket, combat boots and helmet.. I've had things hit my helmet pretty hard on the road and make me thing damn... that would have hurt if I wasnt wearing this thing. But Im not for nanny laws so if someone wants to kill themselves by not wearing a helmet Im cool with that too its just not my choice.