Where do you get your supplies?

coty061885

Seeing all these detail threads recently has inspired me to get a little more "detailed" in my personal detailing. But, I have a question for you professional guys and anyone else that can help: Where do you buy your supplies (chemicals, brushes, micro fibers, etc.)? I've read the DIYs that have links to buying the stuff online but I wanna know if I can pick this stuff up from places around town? I quickly checked AutoZone and Advanced Auto websites and didn't find much.

AudiOn19s (a sponsor here) can hook you up (http://www.andyschoice.com) There are probably other detailer/sponsors here who can connect you with good suppliers, too.

I am partial to Griot's Garage for a lot of my supplies. I think that buying chemicals from one supplier cuts down on the chance of having an unfavorable chemical reaction between products applied to the paint surface. For example, you don't want your soap cutting through your wax/sealant. And you don't want to mix silicone and non-silicone products on the same surface. When I spray Griot's spray wax on the car before drying it, I know that it is supporting the Griot's sealant already on the surface rather than dulling it or dissolving it.

There are some body shop supply stores in columbus, but I bought everything online at detailersdomain.com.

They were offering 10% off special at the time. I spoke with the detailerdomain guy about what products to use for my specific car, my desired outcome and location (different waxes for different climates).

I would talk to either of the 2 CR detailers to get a good idea of what you want. VW's have hard clears and paint and require more elbow grease(products and pads) than other makes.

I too would like to find a good brake caliper brush, and wheel brush to get the entire barrel of the wheel without taking the wheel off.

I got a Porter cable buffer, 2 polishes, a wax, various pads and some microfiber for about 350. Good starter kit, but I am finding out that there are better products out there, and ones that are easier to use as well.

Good luck, and nice car!

Thanks for the plug Doc!

For stuff I don't carry yet (personal life got in the way to business expansion) I'll second Todd's suggestion for George @ Detailed Image.

Phil @ detailers domain has always been good to me as well.

And when all else fails I turn to AutoGeek. I've never had an issue with their service and their price is always great too BUT I've never had them sit down and have a conversation about detailing like George or Phil are willing to do.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping there was some kind of superstore for auto detailing in the area that I didn't know about haha. Guess I'll just stick to the vendors you mentioned for the products I'm looking to try.

• 3 weeks later...