"Four-figure car" guy

zeitgeist57

I was driving my '82 Silverado this afternoon, A/C blasting and I'm enjoying the cruise down rt.33 going home. Thinking about the enjoyment I was getting from a $4000 truck, I wondered if I would be content with cars I could get for $9999 or less for the rest of my life.

We all have big dreams, but I am finding as I get older that the cheaper a car is, the better I feel about owning it...even if it needs a little work. Anyone else feel this way?

Better yet, post up in this thread a "four-figure car" that you would love to own...I've seen some clean Fox-bodies in other threads...and realize that some of the better cars we'd love to own don't have to cost an arm and a leg to buy.

Ultimately, I know I'll end up getting a used '09 CTS-V for the wife, nicer family hauler in a couple of years, etc...but I like the concept of great four-figure cars that we'd all love to own and enjoy driving for several years...

I looooove my truck. I think it's a truck thing in particular. I don't see myself ever not having a truck along with whatever other vehicle I've got. It's not worth $2500 now, but with a ton of miles I still love getting in it and going, being able to carry most anything in it, and not worrying too much about what happens to it. I think a large part of the joy of cheap cars stems from not having much tied up in them, and more just enjoying the car than worrying about it or keeping it particularly clean/perfect.

I got my grand prix for under 10k last year. I still think it makes me happier than a new car in the mid 20s would have made me. I don't know about 4k, but I think I'll stick to cars under 20k at the most for the rest of my life, and I only say that because I want a used vette. But ya, 4 figure cars are nice :)

i will be in the market for a "four figure car" in the spring. i could use this thread to my advantage. im betting an older vette or camaro can be had for under 10k.

In the last month, there have been 2 c5's listed for under 10k on craigslist.

I enjoy paying cash for my 4 figure cars and not having any payments. I cant see ever making a car payment again.

i will be in the market for a "four figure car" in the spring. i could use this thread to my advantage. im betting an older vette or camaro can be had for under 10k.

Mr. Depreciation is our friend. C5's and 98+ Fbodies are affordable. GTO's will be there when I am ready to buy again :D

I got my Camaro at a good price.

early 90 M3

Good luck with that! I honestly believe there's no such thing as a sub $10K e30 M3....before you go finding listings to prove me wrong...it's because any that sell for less than $10K need enough work that in the end it'll still cost you into the 5 figures to have the car in the shape you'd want it.

Clay, for you question, I think as mentioned it might be a truck thing. I love driving my old Dakota around...perhaps it's the bench seat and being able to put your arm up comfortably?

Sub $10K cars I'd like to own? 510, SA/FB Rx7, Early VW Bug. I seem to come across cars in the $4-5K range that I'd enjoy driving, but I can't have another car, nor would I give up one of mine.

For the last couple years all the cars that ive owned have been under 10k

1.) 94 jeep wrangler

2.) 95 bronco

3.) 89 bmw 325i

4.) 98 jeep grand cherokee

5.) 00 Gmc denali with 60k miles

6.) 01 pontiac gtp

7.) 07 kaw zx6r

8.) 91 galant vr4 {project not a dd}

9.) 92 galant vr4 {more of a project not a dd}

Out off all those cars the only issues i had was with the gtp, i had to put a new tranny in it. I would say that cars under 10k can definatly be nice. I buy them because of why most people do you get the best bang for the buck and i don't like carrying full coverage insurance because im 21 so pay cash and get libality.

The next car that i will purchase with eaither be a 03-04 evo (and i will find one under 10k) or a 05 gmc 1500 crew slt 4x4 which will be around 15k.

I think my car is a sub 10k car now according to KBB. But I love it. You are still buying the same car that a few years back cost 30, 40, 50k for under 10, it just has a little more experience and character now. There are TONS of cars that I would buy and be happy with that are 4-figure cars.

90s japanese sport cars (the turbo ones) can be had for under 10, unless its an overpriced supra (thanks F&F)

Older Audis, BMW's, maybe a mercedes or 2

I would like to have a newer diesel volkswagen, jetta perhaps.

Some of the cars in the 80's would be cool too if they are in good shape, like a starion or a nissan Z.

List goes on.

Good luck with that! I honestly believe there's no such thing as a sub $10K e30 M3....before you go finding listings to prove me wrong...it's because any that sell for less than $10K need enough work that in the end it'll still cost you into the 5 figures to have the car in the shape you'd want it.

truth.

get an e30 and s50 it, itll be more fun than an e30 M3 anyway. I just picked up my s50.

I love my outback sedan that I DD until it blew a rear main seal. As soon as I get it fixed it will be a DD again. Over the last couple years I have enjoyed a lot of sub-10k cars.

2-WRX's (bugeyes)

1-S2000

2-Celicas

1-MR2 (turbo)

1-Matrix

1-240

1-crx

2-200sx's (1 was a sr20det swap)

And I am sure there are others I am forgetting. I plan to pick up the right acura/lexus and a jeep when I get around to it.

I've never owned anything but a "4 figure" car. The only car I've taken a car payment on was 9 years ago, when I bought the wife her Contour, and it wasn't even close to five figures. I don't like car payments, and as long as I can avoid it, will not have one. I will say though that I'd like to get my hands on a clean '96 Impala SS, but those are still bringing $10k plus. :(

truth.

get an e30 and s50 it, itll be more fun than an e30 M3 anyway. I just picked up my s50.

slam it in there bitch! or are you waiting for a mechanic to arrive via mail as well

oh yeah s14 m3= balance, period correct, historically significant. as much as i hate that talk, its true.

I love my foxbody, even though I haven't driven it much. I love my Jeeps. Now I loved my Vette, but all that money to just sit made no sense. I love my new Jeep, but at 50k (well hell there were good incentives) I would rather drive my 02 Grand, and not care if it gets a scratch. As for the M3 arguement.....4 years ago at the auction I bought a 97 M3 four door w/two tone interior, good paint, updated bumper, ran partfect i.e. strong running, good clutch and trans, and was in overall great shape. Now it had 160k on it, but needed no major work. Had a brakelight switch issue. I paid $8600 for it, drove it for 5-6k and sold it for $9k. So they are out there, and yes I know this is not what you were talkingf about when you said E30, but still a fun 4 figure car. IMO rivaled by a C4 Vette!

As for the M3 arguement.....4 years ago at the auction I bought a 97 M3 four door w/two tone interior, good paint, updated bumper, ran partfect i.e. strong running, good clutch and trans, and was in overall great shape. Now it had 160k on it, but needed no major work. Had a brakelight switch issue. I paid $8600 for it, drove it for 5-6k and sold it for $9k. So they are out there, and yes I know this is not what you were talkingf about when you said E30, but still a fun 4 figure car. IMO rivaled by a C4 Vette!

As you can see from my current DD I still believe that the e36 M3 is one of the best bargains on the road. I bought it when it was a 5 figure car, now it's dwindled down to a 4 figure car. I don't have any intention of selling soon.

As Justin mentioned, the e30 M3 is a great package...you just have to pay for it. Good condition ones are worth double what an e36 M3 brings these days. I somewhat kick myself for that one too, cause when I bought my car the e30 M3s and e36 M3s were going for about the same money....ooops.

As you can see from my current DD I still believe that the e36 M3 is one of the best bargains on the road. I bought it when it was a 5 figure car, now it's dwindled down to a 4 figure car. I don't have any intention of selling soon.

As Justin mentioned, the e30 M3 is a great package...you just have to pay for it. Good condition ones are worth double what an e36 M3 brings these days. I somewhat kick myself for that one too, cause when I bought my car the e30 M3s and e36 M3s were going for about the same money....ooops.

Yeah, well that is how it goes. I had a friend some years back that was selling his e30 and never did sell it, good thing because they are bringing more now.

I think I would also have to add the 914 Porsche to the list. Great fun to drive, and a very nice one can be had for under 10k, maybe even a 6cyl that needs a little work.