Question about misdemeanors and applications

Aaron

So when I was around 12 or 13 I was at Target on Morse rd. I was getting a matchbox car city/garage thing and it came with a free car. The box was open so I swapped out the free car with one I liked better lol. I got caught, cops weren't called, but my mom had to sign something, maybe I did too, can't remember. Nothing ever happened that I remember after that.

Fast forward to today.

I have never been in trouble with the law, no arrests, no warnings, nothing. (just a few speeding tickets). When filling out applications for jobs I have always put NO in the felony box, and misdemeanor box. Not because I intentionally was being deceatful, but because I never fully understood what happened that day. I have never had a problem getting a job. Got one at Sears when I was 16, Quaker steak and lube after that, Avis rent a car as well.

The action was something a stupid kid would do, and I haven't thought much about it since. However today I filled out a background check for DSW and it popped back into my head.

What are employers looking for in this background check? Should I try to get my misdemeanor expunged? How do I go about doing that? lawyer? Or do I even bother because it was 11 years ago, over a $1.00 matchbox car.

Thanks for the help, sorry about the long post, just looking for information.

Really? Awesome. Its crazy how this stupid little incident is giving me headaches lol. I will be graduating OSU in December and I would hate for this stupid incident to cause problems.

Thanks for the information. Keep it coming.

Guest tbutera2112
Really? Awesome. Its crazy how this stupid little incident is giving me headaches lol. I will be graduating OSU in December and I would hate for this stupid incident to cause problems.

i lied. ha.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/e5hansej/1191562906039.png

I think a lot of kids have stolen a matchbox car or two before:o

I don't see how zero police involvement could possibly = misdemeanor. Probably just had you sign something saying if you get caught stealing from them again, then they would press charges for the original thing and the new thing.

yeah, I am not sure exactly what happened.

Any way I could find out?

Sounds stupid, but I was young and nothing ever came of it, so I don't know the details.

So when I was around 12 or 13 I was at Target on Morse rd. I was getting a matchbox car city/garage thing and it came with a free car. The box was open so I swapped out the free car with one I liked better lol. I got caught, cops weren't called, but my mom had to sign something, maybe I did too, can't remember. Nothing ever happened that I remember after that.

"I'm sorry to inform you Aaron that the incident you were involved in at at 12...you know, the one where you stole a Hot Wheel from target which likely resulted in an ass-beating by your mom....it's going to cost you the opportunity to work here at DSW."

That just sounds silly. Hell, with society the way it is today, I can say that at DSW, they are just glad to have someone not convicted of carrying a gun at age 13. Stealing a toy car.....you're hired.

"I'm sorry to inform you Aaron that the incident you were involved in at at 12...you know, the one where you stole a Hot Wheel from target which likely resulted in an ass-beating by your mom....it's going to cost you the opportunity to work here at DSW."

That just sounds silly. Hell, with society the way it is today, I can say that at DSW, they are just glad to have someone not convicted of carrying a gun at age 13. Stealing a toy car.....you're hired.

The Easton store is their corporate store, so its completely different :p........... hard to say with a straight face lol.

I just talked to my mom about it. She said I was not charged, the cops were never called and that I have no record lol.

I am not a criminal. :D

Your car looks like a Hot Wheel in the photo :D I'm on my third beer since 8pm....cut me some slack :D

haha, that explains it. Even after the explanation, it still wasn't as funny as you thought it would be. I hate it when that happens. You think something will be funny, you say it and.........................crickets. lol

Actually a simple shop lifting when my wifes sister was like 15-17 or something has caused her to miss lots of job opportunities. I've never understood how, but it still shows up and she's almost 40 now. Stupid west virginia is probably whats wrong.

you'll be ok

when i was 13 or 14, i got caught shoplifting at walmart. couple CDs or something dumb. no police, but i had to sign saying i wouldnt ever go back (which is funny, because ive been in there quite a few times since)

then, when i was 16, i apparently hadn't learned my lesson, and got busted at meijer, more CDs. cops came for that one, i had to go down and do some "teen court" shit, basically it was a court system with other kids who had gotten in trouble, one was a prosecutor, defense, jury of like 7...had to do some online class, and a couple other gay things, then be part of the jury for like 6 weeks.

i havent had an issue with any jobs since, and one of them was even for my grandpa's security company (although i dont think he'd hold it against me). ive had like 5-6 jobs since i turned 18, never a word about it

Technically there is a way that someone can look at your criminal record prior to your 18th birthday but from what I understand its really hard and they'd have to go through alot of trouble to get it.

I think we have all made some bad decisions when we were younger (mine were MUCH worse than yours, which not only included being arrested but a short stay in juvie, that was a blast) but as someone pointed out. Its your juvenile record for a reason. Ive never had a problem getting a job or any backround checks whatsoever, Hell i havent even gotten so much as a speeding ticket in the last 4 years. Needless to say speaking in terms of the law Im pretty straight edge now. Everyone screws up when they're young.