Christians vs. Atheists - for you JRmiiiiiiiiiii

SAMBUSA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devil's advocate, would an advertisement convince an atheist to believe in God's existence?

idk, bc i think i'm still undecided. I don't see how an atheist would ever look at that quote and say "eh, good point, i believe!" and I don't see how someone with faith in religion would change either. So they are targeting people like me who don't know what to think? OR, more likely are they wasting their money (and time) just to retaliate and begin a pointless fight??

idk, bc i think i'm still undecided. I don't see how an atheist would ever look at that quote and say "eh, good point, i believe!" and I don't see how someone with faith in religion would change either. So they are targeting people like me who don't know what to think? OR, more likely are they wasting their money (and time) just to retaliate and begin a pointless fight??
DING DING DING!! We have a winner!!! good job mj thanks for playing....

I think its a waste of money to prove a point that they can make the same type signs as the Christians do, with the opposite message

Look, whatever you want to spend (waste) your money on... fine. Personally, I'd prefer not to see anything religious or sacreligous on anything. But hey, money makes the world go 'round. I wouldn't contribute to either cause knowing they wasted their money fighting an ad war over something like this.

I highly doubt they really sat down at a table and went "Alright guys, we've gotta convert more people to our cause, how's an ad on the side of a bus sound?"

I think it's much more probable that the ad is more of an image-builder than anything. To me, the ad basically says "Why worry about a higher power, just be happy anyway". I think many people view atheists as angry, baby-eating, evil people. This ad puts them in a more positive light by saying that atheists are just like anyone else...all they want to do is enjoy their lives.

Also, this is a bit off-topic, but am I the only one who seems to notice more pissed off, unhappy Christians ranting about their beliefs than pissed off, unhappy atheists/agnostics ranting about theirs? Christians need to lighten the hell up. (no pun intended)

Also, this is a bit off-topic, but am I the only one who seems to notice more pissed off, unhappy Christians ranting about their beliefs than pissed off, unhappy atheists/agnostics ranting about theirs? Christians need to lighten the hell up. (no pun intended)

I agree 100%

Yeah its true.

That was actually the very thing that started pushing me away from religion in the first place. People who were very religious never seemed to have anything positive to say. Also, one of my friends once said because she was catholic, if we both lead identical lives and died the same death she would be accepted into heaven before me because she's catholic and i am not. silly.

Yeah its true.

That was actually the very thing that started pushing me away from religion in the first place. People who were very religious never seemed to have anything positive to say. Also, one of my friends once said because she was catholic, if we both lead identical lives and died the same death she would be accepted into heaven before me because she's catholic and i am not. silly.

she didn't pay attention in religion class.... it doesn't say that anywhere in the Scriptures or the Dogma of the Catholic church.... and anyone that tells you that I say they are misinformed and need to get a grip!

no, my beliefs haven't changed much, but my opinion about organized religion has a bit...

you've been influenced by people that don't have the right information, you need to develop your own faith, research on your own and find what suits you best. As long as you have a deep personal relationship with your faith, no one should be able to dissuade you. You know what's right for you. just as I know whats right for me... faith is a personal discovery, and no 2 people are going to feel the exact same way about it.

yeah, I realize that it wasn't a "catholic" thing, but i am often surprised by the way people who claim to be religious act. I think i just have a lot of bad experiences with religious people. Here's another example, I knew a lady who often would go around telling people that they were sinners and pointing out all the bad things they have done, but with a little math, I figured out that she had baby less than 5 months after she was married, so who is she to run around and tell other people that they are sinning.

I've always been put off by religions that are excluding people in their "ceremonies". I would think that most of our religions are centered about a god who teaches forgiveness and acceptance, but some organized religions and churches don't practice that themselves.

Another thing, I found myself sitting in church one time for 2 hours while the guy talked about how we should do good stuff for others. lets say 2 hours a week, once a week, say 25 weeks out of the year. thats 50 hours that could have been spent doing good stuff rather than talking about it.

back to the signs though, this is a prime example of why i don't feel compelled to become and state my religion as anything in particular. They're paying so much money for signs on sides of buses that will effectively do nothing but act as a retaliation against the atheists who put the first signs up. There's people who are starving and dying of all sorts of terrible things that would do anything for clean water, food, clothing, simple medications... I just think it could go for better things.

you've been influenced by people that don't have the right information, you need to develop your own faith, research on your own and find what suits you best. As long as you have a deep personal relationship with your faith, no one should be able to dissuade you. You know what's right for you. just as I know whats right for me... faith is a personal discovery, and no 2 people are going to feel the exact same way about it.

I agree.

I highly doubt they really sat down at a table and went "Alright guys, we've gotta convert more people to our cause, how's an ad on the side of a bus sound?"

I think it's much more probable that the ad is more of an image-builder than anything. To me, the ad basically says "Why worry about a higher power, just be happy anyway". I think many people view atheists as angry, baby-eating, evil people. This ad puts them in a more positive light by saying that atheists are just like anyone else...all they want to do is enjoy their lives.

That's because the religious right can see their grip on peoples lives slipping and they are pissed about it.

:lol:

Every time I drive by World Harvest I always think of Jim Jones.

I live near there.... sucks when they have a service, backs traffic up in every direction.... and you should meet some of the kids that go to school there... WOW talk about kool aid drinkin fools....

I plan any driving around when the churches are letting out. I mean come on you really need a cop to help you leave church?
actually yes, cause people loose their Christianity when they get behind the wheel.... which makes me loose mine!