My new Wrist Whip

Diamonds

Bob - Thanks. I'm always up for advice, and also enjoy some watch talk. It will be a couple months before I am ready to get anything of that caliber though.

Shooter - That's a great looking Carrera. My wrists aren't huge so a 39mm looks about perfect on me imho. That's my biggest reservation I have for getting a Breitling, is they look really large on me.

My other problem is I am a tight ass. I always just save up and wait to find a great deal. High end watch deals come around quite often. Stores need to hit numbers, people buy stuff they can't afford, etc. Don't get me wrong, I would love to just pick one out and ante up, but I have too many toys and kids. :lol:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob - Thanks. I'm always up for advice, and also enjoy some watch talk. It will be a couple months before I am ready to get anything of that caliber though.

I'd love to talk watches. And i would love to talk with you before you make your big purchase. I may be able to help you seek out wht you are looking for as i am somewhat educated in the realm of wristwatches.

Save your money, make the right choce, and go for it, nothing feels better!

Shooter - That's a great looking Carrera. My wrists aren't huge so a 39mm looks about perfect on me imho. That's my biggest reservation I have for getting a Breitling, is they look really large on me.

look into the Breitling Navitimer series, those ill be the right size for you, additionally, the chronomats will aslo be a good fit as well.

My other problem is I am a tight ass. I always just save up and wait to find a great deal. High end watch deals come around quite often. Stores need to hit numbers, people buy stuff they can't afford, etc. Don't get me wrong, I would love to just pick one out and ante up, but I have too many toys and kids. :lol:

Well, its usually justa matter of time, take a little sliver out of each paycheck and set it aside. Save the money, and buy something that you consider to be a "Grail". ITs easy if you have the strength to save money! and think, you can pass it down to your kids soemday.

watches don't need to be expensive to love them

you don't need a bunch of them to be considered a watch lover

as long as you are happy, i say "fuck em"

WERD. Problem is the more you love them the more you appreciate the expensive ones.

Dig the Navi, glad they finally brought the size up to mondern standards as it's one of my favorite watch designs of all time. Just got outsized in the modern market there for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

getting the itch.. .about to pull the trigger on something new.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f29/309245d1280670254-fs-reduced-huge-emporio-armani-100m-diver-ar-0628-dscn2440-jpg

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f29/309243d1280670254-fs-reduced-huge-emporio-armani-100m-diver-ar-0628-dscn2438-jpg

I love the Omega Planet Ocean.

BTW, for anyone that is interested. I checked out Goldstar jewelers on Schrock and they had a really nice BNIB big chunky Maurice Lacroix for about 70% off making it in the mid 2k's... thats insane!

He's a crazy old dude, gotta be prepared to be in there for awhile every time you visit. We just picked up the Omega Speedmaster from being serviced and I too saw the watch you're talking about.

The One he's got in inventory that I really want is the Titanium IWC GST chronograph (3707). Oh soo yummy.

too small...come on dude!

I'm not a big dude...I can still rock the 40mm's without them looking out of place... Which is also good since my grail watch is still stuck in the 90's @ 40mm size. (Daytona).

Some bigger or bigger wearing watches look out of place on me. I tried on a 48mm Oris the other day that was borderline too big, and as much as I love Bell & Ross the one I'd really rock (BR-01 46mm) just looks stupid on me.

Some bigger or bigger wearing watches look out of place on me. I tried on a 48mm Oris the other day that was borderline too big, and as much as I love Bell & Ross the one I'd really rock (BR-01 46mm) just looks stupid on me.

i am gasp!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I got a PM asking about some watch education so i figured i'd post it live so others may learn as well...here it is.

.Let me tell you a little bit about watches. I'll educate you enough so that you are "dangerous".

invictas

That company makes its living by saying a watch is 700.00 MSRP but you can find them anywhere for a c-note... Meaning, that they make you think you are getting a great deal... truth is, no one ever paid 700.00 for one. Buyer beware. you are going to meet alot AAAA-LOTTT of people who own invictas, I would suggest that you buy your invictas used on some watch forums... they can be had for 20-50 dollars used and sometimes BNIB on that forum.

watches in general

Ah the wonderful world of watches. Its confusing to know what to buy, what to stay away from, what to look for, and the best areas to compare watches.

point number one - Mechanical or Quartz??? Which to buy?

Buyer beware... JUST BECAUSE A WATCH SAYS "Swiss" on it DOES NOT MEAN IT IS MECHANICAL. Note to a lot of watches under 300.00 that say swiss are most likely a "swiss quartz"... which isnt a bad thing... but if you want an audi with HIDS and you buy one that doesnt have that feature i'd bet you'd be pissed. Regardless, the old argument is that mechanical watches are more expensive but quartz watches are more accurate... WHY IS THAT? (that my friend is for another time, i dont have 3 hours to type it out). Another thing we can talk about is automatic vs. self-winding... that too is for another time.

point number two - "watches are sometimes only separated by aesthetics and branding". For instance Accutron sells a watch with the same movement as some watches costing 10 times as much... the only differences are from the outer appearance and the brand names.

point number three - what should you look for in a watch?

I am biased but I will give my opinion. I will only buy mechanical watches UNLESS i am buying it purely for its aesthetic values and usually im not buying those for much money because i dont value it that much either. Note the difference between luxury and fashion watches.... luxury watches will usually be automatic, have a long lineage/heritage to the brand, and cost thousands of dollars (rolex, breitling, panerai, and higher). Fashion watches tend to be quartz movement and cost under a grand (dkny, fossil, docle/gabanna, diesel, guess, gucci, etc)... then there are some that hit in between those... they will be about 1000.00 and have good mechanical movement but no frills or a big name to stand behind (MIDO, Longines, etc). I tend to buy watches that make me feel chills the first time i see it. I WILL NOT end up buyign a watch that i dont love from the first moment i see it... I USED to do that an all those watches did was collect dust.

where to buy, cheap

The most important part of loving a watch is not based on its price or the brand. My favorite watch i've ever owned cost literally 4% of the cost of my most expensive watch. ITs abotu how you feel when you wear it. With that being said I am now (as i learned the hard way the first time i bought a luxury watch) an advocate of buying used. Its fun to score deals on watch forums. You can really make some great pickups on the sait ESPECICIALLY ON FASHION WATCHES.

Thats all for now, check out some watch forums and educate yourself. you can learn so much.

- Bob

• Upvote 1

Please allow me to expound a bit:

I agreed with everything that s15driftking has to say.

MSRP on anything (watch, car, etc.) is a JOKE. You should never pay MSRP! Most here who know me, know that I'm thrifty and NEVER pay retail for anything.

That being said, you should research everything you are wanting to purchase. In the case of watches there are a few easy things to check that make a BIG difference.

1. Case material. What kind of Stainless Steel do they use, and is it solid (or folded as in the case of the band links)? This will tell you a bit about the quality of manufacture, as well as how easily it will scratch and/or look good. In the case of my Invicta Grand Diver, the SS is a quality 316L, and after 2 years of daily abuse, it still looks almost new.

2. Crystal material. If it isn't a sapphire crystal, it will scratch relatively easily. I have had good luck with the new "flame fusion crystal". If you work with your hands, you don't want plastic.

3. Movement: "Swiss Movement" is usually considered the best option, but there are differences. Simply put, most Quartz movements/watches should be considered disposable. it is less expensive to replace the movement, than repair it. Mechanical Movements are generally judged by the number of Jewels, and require service on a regular basis. These are "old school" popular, with the old Swiss movements being highly sought after. Automatics are the most popular right now. Miyota (Japan) makes some workhorse movements that are cheap and accurate, but most prefer the Swiss autos. If you can find out the Movement name/model, you can google it and find out more than you would imagine about it. Complications (Chronograph, Repeater, Power reserve, Moonphase, Ani-Digital) add complexity, and therefore more to go wrong.

Great website for research and pre-owed purchase or trade. It is predominately shopnbc brands, but there are grail brand sub-forums, and many hardcore collectors who love to share their wisdom:

Watchgeeks.net

MSRP on anything (watch, car, etc.) is a JOKE. You should never pay MSRP! Most here who know me, know that I'm thrifty and NEVER pay retail for anything.

That being said, you should research everything you are wanting to purchase.

Maybe there needs to be a thread on LIFE on this site, I see this happening WAY to often....

Maybe there needs to be a thread on LIFE on this site, I see this happening WAY to often....

Truth.

I get so pissed when I see someone who barely makes enough to pay their bills, come into a chunk of money (ie. tax return, inheritance) and blow it all paying MSRP for TVs, watches, or whatever.

Now there also comes a time where someone EARNS so much, that their time is worth more money than what they could save by taking time to find a deal. I have no problem that.

Bob - I still haven't found a deal that has made me close to pulling the trigger yet. I have been rocking my Invicta 7133 for the past year or so. It is by far the least expensive watch I have bought during my adult life. Funny thing is, people have complimented me on it WAY more times than when I wear a watch worth 20x as much. Also that's not why I wear it, just thought it was funny.

Bob - I still haven't found a deal that has made me close to pulling the trigger yet. I have been rocking my Invicta 7133 for the past year or so. It is by far the least expensive watch I have bought during my adult life. Funny thing is, people have complimented me on it WAY more times than when I wear a watch worth 20x as much. Also that's not why I wear it, just thought it was funny.

Yup, its not not about price, its about what you love!

also, if you tell me a bit about size, style, and budget i can maybe help to get you closer to what you are looking for. Like i said, dont rule out buyign a used watch, its like waiting for some dumb idiot to buy a 100k 7-series BMW.... wait a little while and buy it for 50k.

Edited by Diamonds

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs007.ash2/33689_439676115597_651455597_5831623_5481576_n.jpg

$20 best ive ever spent. Idiots love it Bitches think I got loot. lol

wait, you love it, right? But then you said "idiots love it"... does that make you an idiot?

Kidding! enjoy it! (or as most ppl say on watch forums "enjoy it in good health")...

That being said, you should research everything you are wanting to purchase.

Exactly, Sometime you find that you are either A. not really gettig na great deal or B. not really gettign a great product!

BTW, i agree with all the notes you made about case, crystal, etc. Sapphire or die (on a high end watch).

http://www.4-watches.com/fossil/fs2919.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:eK50KiPlynfkFM:http://www.watchco.com/v/vspfiles/photos/FS2919-2T.jpg&t=1

That's what I wear daily. Just a Fossil, but I seem to get a lot of compliments about it. I like it, but suits more as a day-to-day watch than something fancier that I would like to get.

Any good websites on getting started into nicer mechanical-type watches? I love the look of most Tag Heur's, but I don't love the price. :(