Car starts.. then dies unless you give it gas

Buck531

I thought I figured it out with replacing the FPR, but that didn't seem to fix it all.

When it's cold (only when cold - sitting for hours) the car will start, but die almost instantly. If you give it gas for about a minute, it's fine for the rest of the time. Then when it warms up, it starts normal and everything is fine.

I hooked up my scanner and there are no vac leaks, all sensors seem to be fine, no codes being thrown. Unplugged the maf and does the same thing. I checked the front 3 plugs and they seem to be ok. I might just change them tomorrow anyways. Plug wires look new and the coil packs are fine.

Got anything else I can try?

02 GPGT btw.

Guest tbutera2112

had an issue like this on my mustang, not sure about your car...

mine was the Idle Air Control valve...cleaned it out with brake cleaner and it ran like a charm

ive got this same problem on my 97 expedition with teh 5.4... it only happens on cold days when it sits over night. not sure what the issues is... kinda of annoying but was fine once u kept ur foot on the gas for about 30 seconds an was perfect when it warmed up

:edit: this only happens in the cold never does it during the summer months

How about making your cold start fuel a little richer on start up.

I thought I figured it out with replacing the FPR, but that didn't seem to fix it all.

When it's cold (only when cold - sitting for hours) the car will start, but die almost instantly. If you give it gas for about a minute, it's fine for the rest of the time. Then when it warms up, it starts normal and everything is fine.

I hooked up my scanner and there are no vac leaks, all sensors seem to be fine, no codes being thrown. Unplugged the maf and does the same thing. I checked the front 3 plugs and they seem to be ok. I might just change them tomorrow anyways. Plug wires look new and the coil packs are fine.

Got anything else I can try?

02 GPGT btw.

ya I would say check the tb and clean it... also does it do it when it is cold outside or just when the car is cold???

cause you have checked the maf and the plugs and it wouldnt be the crankshaft posistion sensor wich is the other one known to go bad..

it is a long shot but you might ahve a clogged or dirty injector and it takes a minute for it to push the stuff out but then after the car sits it builds up in the injector again..

other than that I am fresh out of ideas lol

ya I would say check the tb and clean it... also does it do it when it is cold outside or just when the car is cold???

It does it when the car sits for more than say 4 hours. (motor is cold). I don't think weather has much to do with it.

I'll take off the TB and clean all the junk tomorrow.

I read both threads. Yours would do it when the motor is cold or hot. Mine ONLY does it when the motor is cold. After it gets up to temp, everything is perfect and fine.

grime build up in the iac passages cause's this. like i said, clean the TB and iac real good and try again after driving it and clearing the intake track out

Will do. I did pop off the IAC a few hours ago and wiped it down as I didn't have any brake cleaner in the garage. It was pretty caked with stuff.

Guest Removed
Will do. I did pop off the IAC a few hours ago and wiped it down as I didn't have any brake cleaner in the garage. It was pretty caked with stuff.

that will do it...make sure you clean the TB passages and throttle blade area real good.. i have some product here that will clean that shit right up instead of wasting brake clean on it. plus brake clean leaves a film behind that attracts more grime...

just saying

that will do it...make sure you clean the TB passages and throttle blade area real good.. i have some product here that will clean that shit right up instead of wasting brake clean on it. plus brake clean leaves a film behind that attracts more grime...

just saying

Yeah. I normally use electrical parts cleaner when I'm cleaning the maf and such.

Hell. I think that did it. I just started it up after sitting a good 2 hours in the garage and the motor was nice and cold. Fired right up and stayed running. The big test will be tomorrow morning.

Ok here's another update.

Pulled the TB and cleaned the shit out of it. From the leaking FPR, it was soaked in gas. Threw it back together. Still does the same fucking thing.

Changed the plugs. Wires/coils are fine.

Now it starts, but you have to just blip the gas once right as you crank it and it's fine and doesn't die out.

When the car comes up to temp, it starts fine every time.

One thing left I guess is the fuel filter. But why would it only do it when cold?

whats your iat reading when cold?

After it warms up a tad? or right from the start?

It's going to read high from the start only because I have to keep the foot on the pedal.

Should I try to replace the fuel filter? It almost seems that when it starts to die, it trys to "catch" itself and it ties but doesn't work.